300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

obd1 conversion

Old 11-07-2010, 06:28 PM

obd1 conversion

Recently i bought a 96 300zxtt. I know that in 96 the 300zx lost its vvt and it switched to obd2. Im assuming its not possible to swap over to obd1 without replacing a cam to use the vvt, but i would like to know if it is possible without doing it and if anyone could tell me exactly what would have to be done. If you ask why its because as far as i can tell its much easier to do the tuning on a obd1 model than obd2 if anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM

Would need a new set or wire harnessEs and ecu, basically a whole new wire and ecu system I think... Or maybe a repin might work. I would Just spend the cash and get it tuned or go with a stand alone system...
Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Ruff Ryder

the z32 was never obd1, it uses a nissan consult interface for diagnostics. Secondly you don't need any VVT parts to use an earlier ECU, but from what I have seen in the FSM you will need to either use an older harness or repin the ECU plug.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:23 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

lol You desparately need to stop posting. The Z32 absolutely was OBDI.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-bo...edirected=true

On-Board Diagnostics, or OBD, in an automotive context, is a generic term referring to a vehicle's self-diagnostic and reporting capability.

[...]

Early instances of OBD would simply illuminate a malfunction indicator light, or MIL, if a problem was detected—but would not provide any information as to the nature of the problem. Modern OBD implementations use a standardized fast digital communications port to provide realtime data in addition to a standardized series of diagnostic trouble codes, or DTCs, which allow one to rapidly identify and remedy malfunctions within the vehicle.

[...]

~1987: The California Air Resources Board (CARB) requires that all new vehicles sold in California starting in manufacturer's year 1988 (MY1988) have some basic OBD capability. These requirements are generally referred to as "OBD-I", though this name is not applied until the introduction of OBD-II. The data link connector and its position are not standardized, nor is the data protocol.
Gonna try to say that doesn't describe the Z32's diagnostic system? Or perhaps that the Z32 wasn't sold in California (or perhaps was sold there before it existed)? OBDI wasn't standardized - it simply describes a system for diagnosing sensor-related problems. OBDII is when it became standardized. Read and memorize my signature, please.

OP - What you're trying to do is, if memory serves (and it usually does), highly illegal for emissions reasons. OBDII cars are tested via OBDII port - if they can't test your car that way, you will face heavy fines, not to mention revoking your plates since you couldn't pass emissions.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 11-09-2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 07:43 PM
The Good Twin

I say throw a carb on it. Screw computers! What have they ever done for us?!
Old 11-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
lol You desparately need to stop posting. The Z32 absolutely was OBDI.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-bo...edirected=true

Gonna try to say that doesn't describe the Z32's diagnostic system? Or perhaps that the Z32 wasn't sold in California (or perhaps was sold there before it existed)? OBDI wasn't standardized - it simply describes a system for diagnosing sensor-related problems. OBDII is when it became standardized. Read and memorize my signature, please.

OP - What you're trying to do is, if memory serves (and it usually does), highly illegal for emissions reasons. OBDII cars are tested via OBDII port - if they can't test your car that way, you will face heavy fines, not to mention revoking your plates since you couldn't pass emissions.
no **** sherlock, OBD and OBD1 are two different things. OBD1 is a standardized OBD system that uses a standard diagnostic port so just about any company can make a scanner tool for it and make scanning equipment for it readily available. It wasn't made standard in all cars, but all OBD1 systems have the same design (for the most part) and use the same plug. There is a difference between standard OBD like found in the z32 and OBD1. The OP wanted to convert to OBD1, which the z32 never had, as the z32 has it's own version of OBD called consult. OBD, OBD1 and OBD2 are all different.

Last edited by hoov100; 11-09-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Unfortunately ODB1 wasn't as standardized as the standard was suppose to be and ODB/ODB1 terms are loosely used back and forth because of the lack of following ODB1 standards. ODBII was more closely legislated and monitored so you can hook up and ODBII to any ODBII car and read at least basic info from the ECU. Not the case with ODB1...

Interesting to note is that the 280Z was the first ECU with On Board Diagnostics....
Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by hoov100
no **** sherlock, OBD and OBD1 are two different things. OBD1 is a standardized OBD system that uses a standard diagnostic port so just about any company can make a scanner tool for it and make scanning equipment for it readily available. It wasn't made standard in all cars, but all OBD1 systems have the same design (for the most part) and use the same plug. There is a difference between standard OBD like found in the z32 and OBD1. The OP wanted to convert to OBD1, which the z32 never had, as the z32 has it's own version of OBD called consult. OBD, OBD1 and OBD2 are all different.
Holy ****, dude. Once again, you didn't read the whole post. Read the entire quote and everything I said, then sit on your hands.

Notably, THERE WAS NO SUCH THING AS "OBD-I" UNTIL OBD-II EXISTED. THUS, OBD-I REFERS TO ANY ON-BOARD DIAGNOSTIC SYSTEM PRIOR TO OBD-II.

On a similar note, do you also think they called World War I "World War I" before World War II?

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 11-09-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:33 PM

^^ they already knew there was ganna b WWII before they went into WWI HAHAHAHHAH but yea, OBD and OBD I is same ****, OBD II is where they use same adapters