300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

New Z guy

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 06:35 PM

New Z guy

Hello! Just purchased this '90 TT z32 (120k miles) and was looking for some assistance. Evidently, these cars have misfiring issues based on the numerous posts I've stumbled across. I'm just going to have to be another statistic and explain my story thusly:

I've had this misfiring issue present itself only after I give it about 89-100% gas. After the misfiring commences, it doesn't idle normal until I turn the engine back on a couple hours later. What stumps me is that it doesn't occur every single time. I've changed the following parts in order to cease this misfire:

1. Fuel pump
2. Fuel filter
3. Fuel pressure regulator
4. Spark plugs

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails New Z guy-image.jpg  
Old 05-18-2014, 10:15 PM

Welcome to ZDriver!

For starters, you have a copy of your Factory Service Manual (FSM) - or you can download it from XenonZ32.com Reference There are other good docs there, too.

Take some time to get familiar with the FSM and check out the inspection & troubleshooting sections for the stuff you want to get working right.

Our Z32 guys will probably have some questions for you.

Again, welcome.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:32 AM

Thank you! I'll be sure to look through that FSM website thoroughly. We'll see what this new adventure will bring us.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:56 AM
Grumpy & Helpful

probably time for spark plugs is nothing else.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by rogerz
probably time for spark plugs is nothing else.
I had installed some Bosch Iridiums, but I'm hearing that TTs are not really too compatible with Iridium spark plugs. Does that statement hold any truth value?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:28 PM

Did you check your FSM before choosing plugs? What did those nice Iridium Plug folks tell you that made you switch?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Did you check your FSM before choosing plugs? What did those nice Iridium Plug folks tell you that made you switch?
Oh no, I had purchased and changed all those parts prior to being referenced towards the FSM. The party that suggested the iridiums said that they work just as well as the NGKs (they didn't have them in stock).
Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Glove
Oh no, I had purchased and changed all those parts prior to being referenced towards the FSM. The party that suggested the iridiums said that they work just as well as the NGKs (they didn't have them in stock).
OK. They were fairly pricey, as plugs go... Not a problem if they are right - but I found this post on another thread site:

"If your engine is v6-3.0-Fl-VG30DE your plug is PFR 5B-11. If v6-3.0 Fl-VG30DETT-T then use PFR 5b-11b. Both are platinum plugs that will resist dry fouling because the platinum will resist a higher heat range that is common with these engines.
Now if you decide to use NOX (nitro) in your car then you step up to iridium plugs - their heat range is higher than the plats."

Let's see what our Z32 guys think - after you post your engine model for us...? I mean, it could be a drop-in from a used batmobile

Last edited by zxguy1986; 05-20-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 02:52 PM
Horsepower Mathematician

Originally Posted by zxguy1986
Let's see what our Z32 guys think - after you post your engine model for us...? I mean, it could be a drop-in from a used batmobile
I believe his first sentence in his first post cleared that up.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:05 PM

Nkg

Originally Posted by Mr. Glove
I had installed some Bosch Iridiums, but I'm hearing that TTs are not really too compatible with Iridium spark plugs. Does that statement hold any truth value?

IMHO Nissan's run like crap with any German parts in them( Bosch just does not meet the hi quality standards of Japanese parts, poor quality control and loose specs). NKG is the preferred plug for reliable good performance.