300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

General Questions on Z32/300ZX

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:16 PM

General Questions on Z32/300ZX

hey guys,

Fresh meat here. Anyways I'm in love with the Z32/300ZX. I've always been really found of them, plus you can't beat their exhaust note! Anyways, I have a few questions about picking and choosing a Z32 and as well as owning one.

1. What should you look out for when looking at Z32s (any common problems or anything)
2. How are these as daily drivers?
3. How are these on gas, what kind of MPG are you getting? (TT/Non-Turbo)
4. What are the common known issues on Z32s
5. How is the reliability on these?
6. In general for you owners, how would you rate your experience with owning these? They look and sound awesome but I've heard some say they're a pleasure to own and other say it's a nightmare!

Anyways, thanks for getting back to me on this, I'm really hoping to pick up a Z32 in the next year or so, just wanted to research a bit first.

Thanks, Brendan
Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

Maybe you should check out the "General Tech" section, which will answer all of your "General" questions.

Clicky: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/
Old 05-05-2009, 08:48 PM
Pr0n Addict

1. What should you look out for when looking at Z32s (any common problems or anything)

i would say that if you can afford it, you definitely want to find one that has been properly maintained at a reputable shop or dealer. if they have all these records, that is good stuff. low mileage cars are great, but expensive. other than that, pretty much everything else will be the same as any other car (tires, recent clutch, timing belt....)
you usually also want to stay away from cars that have been modified a lot. they have sometimes been driven hard or improperly modified
if it's a turbo, it's safe to say that in most cases the turbos won't last much beyond 100k miles. if it's really well cared for, they can make it more, but in most cases you'll be looking at a big expensive job to change the turbos out slightly after 100k.

i love dd-ing my N/A. it turns a head once in a while, feels great, i can really get down the road if i feel like it, t-tops are great, and it has a decent amount of space

i get 19-23 with my N/A. i've gotten 23 once or twice, and both times only half of the tank was pure highway. i think if you were doing a long trip, you could probably tip 25

in my experience, connections are. if the car stops running right, i first turn someone to checking the connections. also, carrier bearings go out. it's an easy fix with a $250 1-piece drive shaft

the higher the mileage, the less reliable. all in all, i've put almost 20k on mine, and it has never left me on the side of the road. i've put a lot of time and money into repairs on it, but it's never left me. it ALWAYS starts. i wouldn't say that it falls into the usual stereotype of unreliable sports car

6. In general for you owners, how would you rate your experience with owning these? They look and sound awesome but I've heard some say they're a pleasure to own and other say it's a nightmare!

i love the car. the worst part about having it is that parts are expensive. and being almost 20 years old, it needs a few parts once in a while. but all in all, i love it. but, the car is pretty much my only hobby anymore, so i enjoy working on it. i guess you just have to either be willing to pay someone to do a good bit of work, or you have to be willing to put some time into it. again, pretty old now, so they are usually kinda high mileage and plastic breaks at an old age, so you get a few problems. you'll probably be looking at fuel injectors, turbos, connectors, and a few other things at some point if they haven't already been done. all in all, if you just want a car to drive on the weekends, get something newer. but if you actually want to be passionate about a car, get the Z32.

Last edited by KasbeKZ; 05-05-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by KasbeKZ

i would say that if you can afford it, you definitely want to find one that has been properly maintained at a reputable shop or dealer. if they have all these records, that is good stuff. low mileage cars are great, but expensive. other than that, pretty much everything else will be the same as any other car (tires, recent clutch, timing belt....)
you usually also want to stay away from cars that have been modified a lot. they have sometimes been driven hard or improperly modified
if it's a turbo, it's safe to say that in most cases the turbos won't last much beyond 100k miles. if it's really well cared for, they can make it more, but in most cases you'll be looking at a big expensive job to change the turbos out slightly after 100k.

i love dd-ing my N/A. it turns a head once in a while, feels great, i can really get down the road if i feel like it, t-tops are great, and it has a decent amount of space

i get 19-23 with my N/A. i've gotten 23 once or twice, and both times only half of the tank was pure highway. i think if you were doing a long trip, you could probably tip 25

in my experience, connections are. if the car stops running right, i first turn someone to checking the connections. also, carrier bearings go out. it's an easy fix with a $250 1-piece drive shaft

the higher the mileage, the less reliable. all in all, i've put almost 20k on mine, and it has never left me on the side of the road. i've put a lot of time and money into repairs on it, but it's never left me. it ALWAYS starts. i wouldn't say that it falls into the usual stereotype of unreliable sports car

i love the car. the worst part about having it is that parts are expensive. and being almost 20 years old, it needs a few parts once in a while. but all in all, i love it. but, the car is pretty much my only hobby anymore, so i enjoy working on it. i guess you just have to either be willing to pay someone to do a good bit of work, or you have to be willing to put some time into it. again, pretty old now, so they are usually kinda high mileage and plastic breaks at an old age, so you get a few problems. you'll probably be looking at fuel injectors, turbos, connectors, and a few other things at some point if they haven't already been done. all in all, if you just want a car to drive on the weekends, get something newer. but if you actually want to be passionate about a car, get the Z32.
Thanks for your honest answers. I would definitely love to be able to work on the car myself, I just need to learn more about working on them though. Thanks a lot though, you've cleared a bunch of stuff for me.
Originally Posted by NismoPick
Welcome to ZDriver!

Maybe you should check out the "General Tech" section, which will answer all of your "General" questions.

Clicky: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=273
Thanks for the welcome, I have checked those out but they didn't specifically help me so I thought I'd ask.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM
caught the z fever

Originally Posted by xfactor78
Thanks for the welcome, I have checked those out but they didn't specifically help me so I thought I'd ask.
let me help you a little bit more

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z32-tech-tips-273/general-z32-info-8434/

leads to

http://www.300zx.co.uk/tech/BuyingZ.htm
Old 05-06-2009, 10:42 AM
Pr0n Addict

glad it helped. i just realized one of my responses was kinda misleading. i said i had put almost 20k on mine, which might lead you to believe i'm an original owner and that's a total of 20k, but no, i got the car iwth 150k on it. just in case that was misleading.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:09 PM

thanks for the clarification guys