300ZX (Z32) Forums Dedicated to 90-96 ZCars otherwize known as the Z32's

Can I run just one BOV???

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Registered Drifter

Can I run just one BOV???

I tried the web and on this site with no avail. My friend has an MR2 Turbo. He runs a HKS SSQV Blow off Valve and claims its making his car run rich. He tells me his car from the factory is setup a little rich and that venting the air makes his car run richer. He tells me my car will run rich if I add BOV's. Doesnt make sense because the O2 sensor should be able to relay to my ecu that I'm running rich and change the A/F mixture right. Or does the change in air from the MAF and what actually enters the engine mess things up?

Either way, I read on a post here that a pair of BOV's may make the idle a little rough.

Three things bring me to this question:
1) I 'd rather not run rich (tunes are expensive)
2) Rather not have akward idle
3) Money

Can I run one BOV and leave the recirculator on the other side. I dont plan to make monsterous HP with this car. I want a BOV solely fot the sound (I'm trying to find a nice adjustable BOV, incase you know of some plz let me know)

Call me dumb I dont care I want that sound!

I figure one BOV will be lighter on my wallet, and any negative affects would be cut in half. Also it would be half as loud (in theory)

I could run a Y splitter between the side that has the recirc. and a long hose to the other side to equalize the air. (if the hole that the air vents back into isnt plugged or removed when installing the BOV on this side) But I figure it wouldn't be needed because the hoses just run into the intake either way.

Thanks Tim

Last edited by The_MuffinMan25; 05-19-2008 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:24 PM
The Good Twin

Are we being serious?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:34 PM
Registered Drifter

Yes it was a decent size post why would I be joking. I really want to know.

Tim
Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 PM
The Good Twin

#1... A Z32TT is not an MR2.

#2... Have you ever looked under your hood?
Old 05-19-2008, 11:38 PM
Registered Drifter

I know its not a MR2 just giving you info from where I got the idea that it might make it run rich. YEs I've looked under my hood I know where the recirc's are and It seems like theres no reason I coulnt run just one Bov
Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Don't be a ricer.

And your car will run rich for a brief moment during shifting with blow off valveS (notice the plural form), but it is nothing to be concerned about.

Please go to twinturbo.net and proceed to read as much as possible on the subject of modifying twin turbo Z32's.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:50 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

z32s do not respond favorably to anything done half-assed. if you must have the Fast and Furious PSSSSSHHHHTTT, get two quality BOVs. if money is at all a concern, i'm afraid you picked the wrong car. really, a z32, tt or not, is not a great choice for a 19 year old anyways.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:56 PM
Registered Drifter

Originally Posted by ZLover4Life
Don't be a ricer.

And your car will run rich for a brief moment during shifting with blow off valveS (notice the plural form), but it is nothing to be concerned about.

Please go to twinturbo.net and proceed to read as much as possible on the subject of modifying twin turbo Z32's.
I'm not a ricer my other ride is a 65' Mustang that I built with my dad. I hate body kits (lips are ok) and Pretty much anything other then stock tail light make me want to yack. Fart cans annoy me, Wings a mile high and stickers dont add horsepower. Wal-Mart and Kragen are not approved places to buy any upgrade product (except K&N filters). Liscense plate frames that read a banner like Drift it are ridiculous and are a waste. Ridiculously bright colors in the interior on shift boots and parking brake boots are terrible. I dont know what else to say really mabye I'll rant more later.

Still know a reason why a single BOV is no good? I want it tasteful. Not the loudest possible BOV on the earth to attract a bunch of attention. Just something that feels good to my ears while a take her for a cruise during the night or during the summer days coming up. That sound echoing off the trees of a mountain pass or a tunnel is one of the most beautiful things I think can enter my ears. (Or ear since it wouldn't be plural BOV's)

Tim

Last edited by The_MuffinMan25; 05-20-2008 at 12:01 AM.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:59 PM
Registered Drifter

Originally Posted by entropy31
z32s do not respond favorably to anything done half-assed. if you must have the Fast and Furious PSSSSSHHHHTTT, get two quality BOVs. if money is at all a concern, i'm afraid you picked the wrong car. really, a z32, tt or not, is not a great choice for a 19 year old anyways.
Moneys not an Issue just like my friend has said 500-600 dollars is alot for noise makers. (if a pair is what is needed then I'm fine with that) I know two of everything for these cars. Also mines a 96' so she's only 12yrs old
Old 05-20-2008, 12:01 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by The_MuffinMan25

Still know a reason why a single BOV is no good?

Tim

A. it's half-assed. bad news on a z32.

B. the way the engine is designed, one turbo feeds one bank of cylinders. to have a different setup on each side will cause the cylinder banks to behave differently. this is not a good thing. MR2s are set up completely different. you can't use them for comparison.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:09 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Also mines a 96' so she's only 12yrs old
that really does not matter. these cars need a good deal of maintenance, and it is not inexpensive. the long standing z32 motto is "always set aside at least $2500 for maintenance at all times".
Old 05-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Registered Drifter

the way the engine is designed, one turbo feeds one bank of cylinders. to have a different setup on each side will cause the cylinder banks to behave differently. this is not a good thing. MR2s are set up completely different. you can't use them for comparison.
My friend did the comparison I was just relating it. Thanks for that answer I dont know much of anything about Turbo set-up's let alone the Z's set-up other then it's complicated and I love it!!! A pair of Bov's will be in the works.

Any recommendations for a quality set that are reasonably quite or preferably tunable?

Tim
Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 AM
Registered Drifter

Oh you said it wasnt a great choice for me (a 19 year old to purchase) I thought you were saying the car was 19 years old and was just prone to issues.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:33 AM
Registered Drifter

that really does not matter. these cars need a good deal of maintenance, and it is not inexpensive. the long standing z32 motto is "always set aside at least $2500 for maintenance at all times".
I dont think it's too costly.
I spend like 3K every 60,000 miles for belts, fluids, and plugs. Synthetic oil every 3000 miles or when it looks a lil dirty. And watch for leaks that will no doubt be costly (given the nature/design of our cars)

I'll look into the maintenence more so I know what to expect, but the above cost to drive such an amazing car seems like a small price to pay.

Tim
Old 05-20-2008, 05:58 AM

I can't find any instance of 1 BOV

On the Z, seems like 2 is the standard. I guess you could use one if you had one intercooler for both turbos. There just isn't a connection equalizing pressure between the charge air. Take a few minutes if you haven't already and look through the vendors on the z32 info sticky. I'm sure you can find something there at a much more reasonable price than 600$ per unit.

As far as RICER the people that stated their opinion about that on this post aren't even from your generation. I'm surprised they didn't say "Kids these days with their damn BOVs ruining the neighborhood"

You don't play Quake with that moniker of The Muffinman do you? If you do, this is Goofunk saying "I've killed you before"
Old 05-20-2008, 08:18 AM
The Cake Is A Lie!

Originally Posted by Goofyz

As far as RICER the people that stated their opinion about that on this post aren't even from your generation. I'm surprised they didn't say "Kids these days with their damn BOVs ruining the neighborhood"
get off my lawn .
Old 05-20-2008, 08:23 AM
The Good Twin

Let's review

Can I run one BOV and leave the recirculator on the other side.
Do you change only the left bank spark plugs? Do you clean only the right bank fuel injectors? Do you only use 3 cylinders of a 6 cylinder engine?

Call me dumb I dont care I want that sound!
I figure one BOV will be lighter on my wallet
Moneys not an Issue
Lighter on the wallet, but $$$ is not an issue?

I dont know much of anything about Turbo set-up's let alone the Z's set-up other then it's complicated
I suggest doing research (like reading car / mechanical related books) before doing something that may destroy your car.

Synthetic oil every 3000 miles or when it looks a lil dirty.
FYI... You change conventional motor oil every 3k miles. Changing synthetic every 3k is a complete waste of money, time, and resources.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

You're talking about running a setup that will create an IMBALANCE in the intake system and you don't think it can cause some problems? :::sigh:::

The VG30DETT was designed as two inline 3-cylinders with a common crankshaft... anything that you do to one half of the engine MUST be done to the other half of the engine. Get two, or start writing your "I blew my engine because I didn't listen to you" post now so that you can post it immediately when it happens.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 AM

Synthetic oil

the turbo Z hasn't even got 4 quarts of oil that it circulates to cool, both the engine and turbos. When you change the oil in the turbo z you use less oil than the NA Z. Now the Z isn't a Minicooper it wont go 13K between oil changes but its true you don't have to change the oil every 3k miles, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go 7000 miles between changes like it says on the oil cans. Some where in the middle would probably be just fine. 4-5k miles between changes on fully synthetic oil. There are some nice oil filter and oil(s) write ups on this site. I would encourage you (The_muffinman) to look them up and review them.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:32 AM
Poor kid, no ruler

I'm not a ricer my other ride is a 65' Mustang that I built with my dad. I hate body kits (lips are ok) and Pretty much anything other then stock tail light make me want to yack. Fart cans annoy me, Wings a mile high and stickers dont add horsepower. Wal-Mart and Kragen are not approved places to buy any upgrade product (except K&N filters). Liscense plate frames that read a banner like Drift it are ridiculous and are a waste. Ridiculously bright colors in the interior on shift boots and parking brake boots are terrible. I dont know what else to say really mabye I'll rant more later.

Still know a reason why a single BOV is no good? I want it tasteful. Not the loudest possible BOV on the earth to attract a bunch of attention. Just something that feels good to my ears while a take her for a cruise during the night or during the summer days coming up. That sound echoing off the trees of a mountain pass or a tunnel is one of the most beautiful things I think can enter my ears. (Or ear since it wouldn't be plural BOV's)

Tim
You would still hear one through both ears...unless you're deaf in an ear, if thats the case than I'm sorry.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

Originally Posted by raythenegr0
You would still hear one through both ears...unless you're deaf in an ear, if thats the case than I'm sorry.
... we're clearly not dealing with the brightest crayon in the box...
Old 05-20-2008, 04:52 PM
caught the z fever

I dont think it's too costly.
I spend like 3K every 60,000 miles for belts, fluids, and plugs. Synthetic oil every 3000 miles or when it looks a lil dirty. And watch for leaks that will no doubt be costly (given the nature/design of our cars)

I'll look into the maintenence more so I know what to expect, but the above cost to drive such an amazing car seems like a small price to pay.

Tim
i wish that was the only maintenance z32 owners had to worry about
Old 05-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Registered Drifter

... we're clearly not dealing with the brightest crayon in the box...
Wow what a AH.

I came to you with a question. I'm here to learn why would you give me such a hard time.

In the case about the one ear cr*p I guess I meant I'd here it from one side more then the other, IDK it was late.

The VG30DETT was designed as two inline 3-cylinders with a common crankshaft... anything that you do to one half of the engine MUST be done to the other half of the engine. Get two, or start writing your "I blew my engine because I didn't listen to you" post now so that you can post it immediately when it happens.
Thanks that answer would have been more than enough for me to of said oh it's a bad idea. I didnt know the engine was designed that way I figured the air connected at one point and entered the engine in one spot. I didnt know there was one for bank. ThereforeI didn't know that there would be an imbalance.

Oh yeah I said one would be lighter on my wallet because that is a fact. Knowing that I will do harm to my engine with just one makes it not an issue to spend the extra money as in "$$$ not an issue" I'm sure you're no millionaire and if you could spend half as much on something you would appreciate the cash not being spent.

I've always read and been told on turbo set-up's oil should be changed @ 3000 miles. Since the car was well taken care of by the previous I would like to prevent anything harmful from happening to my engine, It's "cheap insurance"

Seriously I'm here to learn if I say something that deosnt sound right check me on it but plz do insult me. I'm pretty sure were not children. If were debating something then I can see why an insult might fly but All I did was state an opinion and idea I never said any info given to me was incorrect or refuted it.

Tim
Old 05-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Bad Speller

You're talking about running a setup that will create an IMBALANCE in the intake system and you don't think it can cause some problems? :::sigh:::

aka "I told you so" post

either way like Zlover Said, I once had the stupid idea of a single exhaust. you now got the stupid idea of a single BOV. just get that one, save up buy another one and install them at the same time.

-Juan
Old 05-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Encyclopedic Knowledge

When you try to save money on the Z32TT, you WILL end up spending more later on when something breaks as a direct result of you cutting corners.

And yes, I am an *sshole. But I'm a helpful *sshole, so people usually don't mind it.

Last edited by ZLover4Life; 05-20-2008 at 07:36 PM.