280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

AC belt slipping

Old 07-23-2009, 08:26 PM

AC belt slipping

OK, first post is a help thing, but thats how it goes. I got this sweet Nissan 280ZX today, a 1982. I'll give a full intro on it later, I gotta jet in like 15.

The AC belt is fairly loose, like I might even be able to take it off without touching the tensioner. But I'm not trying until I replace it(maybe). The guy I got it off of says that the AC worked fine but the belt is old, cracked, and stretched. It's an old V-belt, and according to O'Riley's is supposed to have notches, but mine is slick. Anyhow, he says that if I replace the belt with a new one, it should work.

Now, to what happens when I turn the AC on. The AC DOES WORK for a bit if I'm revving on the motor, but it stops working and I hear sqealing. The sqealing is on and off, and doesn't happen when the pulley is turning. It happens when the belt starts slipping. The O'Riley's guy told me that I should add more oil to my sytem, and possibly more freon.

So my question is, should I be looking at replacing the belt, the tensioner, or just adding more oil/freon? Also, I think the blower motor needs replaced, the guy said it quit blowing one day, and he thinks thats what it is.

--Ryan
Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

First off I used to work for CSK Oreilys DO NOT LISTEN TO A WORD THEY SAY!!!! THEY ARE NOT MECHANICS OF ANY KIND! What you NEED to do is buy a new V belt and its OK if it has teeth in it thats actually a nice thing. THEN make sure you tighten up the tensioner till you get like 1/2" to 1/4" defection in the longest part of the belt. That will solve the problem

EDIT: As for the blower, try changing its relay first if it isnt working.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 PM

Agree on part guy expertise, I was going to suggest you install some new lead in his butt, at a high rate of speed.
The coming and going squealing of your belt is caused by the velt's so far gone it will turn the compressor until it starts to build up some pressure. Then the load overtakes the belt's diminished capability, and it squeals until the pressure bleeds off.
Put a belt on it, more than likely that's all your problem is. DO NOT FIX WHAT AIN"T BROKE.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:43 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Yep, they are parts people, And half the time they sell you the wrong part!
Old 07-23-2009, 11:38 PM

Thanks guys! I was leary of the guy in the first place, he was telling me things that didn't quite make sense anyhow. $300 kit he wanted to sell me. I'll go up to autozone tomorrow(OK, today, it's 1:30AM) and pick up that belt. I'll letcha know if it works.

Hey, while I'm asking, like I said, I just got the car, where is the low side service port for the AC located? I haven't looked, but it took me 10 minutes to find the oil dipstick, it's well hidden.

--Ryan
Old 07-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Low side is on the compressor itself I believe.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:34 PM

OK, I see where low-side is.

Well I got the belt and I've been tinkering with things. I'm letting the engine cool off. Looks like I have to take off the front belt controlling power steering first to be able to get the AC belt off. I did get the AC belt off the compressor and tensioner, and sure enough, ya'll are right. The compressor is spinning freely, meaning the bearings are just fine. Damn O'Riley guys trying to sell me a $300 kit.

So anyhow, tinkering around with the tensioner for the first belt, I got the tensioning screw loose, and I can't seem to get the tensioner to budge. Do I need to loosen or remove the bolt holding the tensioner in place? The manual I'm using (which is online) is fairly detailed, but the pictures aren't of the same model.

--Ryan
Old 07-24-2009, 07:55 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

It could just be rusty (your are loosening the nut holding down the pulley right?) If its just rusty spray it don with PB Blaster.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 PM

Well I'm just getting in from a long day of fixing my AC. The site I was reading from mentioned that some components, to tighten the belt, you may have to use a wood board as leverage to properly tension the belt. I just used a big screwdriver to break the tensioner's rust loose and got it moving(after removing the huge-*** bolt of course, as to not strip it). After that, the rest was self-explanatory and I got it all together. Success! The AC SEEMS to work. Now I just need to check the relay for the blower and possible buy a new blower.

Thanks for the help! I'll keep ya'll posted.

--Ryan

BY THE WAY, I'll tell ya'll what took SO FREAKING LONG doing this. Because of the very close quarters >|< I could only use the socket for a little bit getting the tension bolt out of it's hole, and it is HUGE! Very long. The one I'm talking about is the one right up by the power steering on my 82. So, for the majority of it, I was using a dang hand-wrench. 1/4 turn, lift, get it back on the bolt, 1/4 turn, repeat. Ugh. I can barely feel my hands, my back is murdered, and my legs are killing me. And I had to do it all again putting it back together. Also, both nuts came off both tensioner pulleys with ease. Go figure, the one for power steering, I set the nut down and it took a walk. No sign of it. I don't think I should drive it without the pulley secure, because if it slips, buh-bye hard work, hello another few hours of tedius loosening of tensioner bolt. So I'm waiting on my brother to get back so I can go up to walmart for a 14mm metric nut. I tried to borrow one off something else, but the only things using 14mm nuts I could find were pulleys. Damn.

Last edited by Yzzerdd; 07-24-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:24 PM

Well after some hunting, I got a nut at Home Depot. I got everything tightened down, and after some revving and poking at the motor while it was idling, I was satisfied and took it for a spin. Everything seems good. Now where might I find the blower relay?

--Ryan
Old 07-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

On the blower itself under the dash I believe