300ZX (Z32) Brakes, Wheels, Suspension and Chassis Discussions related to performance suspension, wheels, brakes and chassis for the 90-96 300ZX

Strut Tower Bars installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2005, 07:40 AM

Strut Tower Bars installation

I recently purchased a set of strut tower bars (front & rear). I wanted in install them, but find that there are some spot welded brackets in the way in the front. What I wanted to know is what you guys did to get around this issue. Did you remove the spot welded brackets and relocate them, or did you grind reliefs in the mounting flange of the strut bar to clear these brackets? My vehicle is a '90 Z32 2+2 NA. Also, for those of you that have installed strut tower bars, how much of a difference did they make for you in the handling of the car?
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Strut Tower Bars installation-shock-tower-strut-01a.jpg   Strut Tower Bars installation-shock-tower-strut-02a.jpg   Strut Tower Bars installation-shock-tower-strut-03a.jpg  
Old 09-13-2005, 12:32 PM
Bad Speller

I would just grind them to clear the thing, and replace ny fuel lines.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:43 PM

More

Originally Posted by bardabe
I would just grind them to clear the thing, and replace ny fuel lines.
There is allot more than just re-routing fuel lines. There is two spot welded brackets per side that have to be ground off and relocated. Look at all 3 pics.
Old 09-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

which bars did you get?
Old 09-14-2005, 06:47 PM

Bars

Originally Posted by Riz Z Speed
which bars did you get?
I got the OTTO RACING front and rear strut bars. They have the "Z" logo on them.
BTW - I went to our local Z-Club meeting last night. There was a guy that had a front strut bar installed on his '93 convertible. I checked it out. He only ground off one bracket on the passanger side, bent the remaining brackets out of the way, did some grinding on those brakets where they attach to the body, and then mounted them on top of the braket flanges. He also had to grind a little of the top of the front ears of the strut mounts to clear the bottom of the hood, but did good. This is what I am going to do as well. I bought a side grinder and some wheels for it to help with the modifications to facilitate the strut bar installation.
Thanks!
Old 09-14-2005, 07:32 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

i think i'd rather modify the bar than modify the car for the bar to fit.
The bars that your zclub member has, are they the same ones you got?
Old 09-14-2005, 08:47 PM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

i think i'd rather modify the bar than modify the car for the bar to fit.
The bars that your zclub member has, are they the same ones you got?
Agreed, modifiying the bar looks to be the easiest solution.
Old 09-15-2005, 03:43 AM
Jack Of All Trades

Are there any bars that don't require mods? Some people speak highly of the
ca(r)bing bar.

Last edited by CanyonCarver; 09-15-2005 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:13 AM
confuzed member

I think you mean "carbing" Those are awesome. Charles showed them to us at the club the other night. They also come with a hefty price tag. $300 each.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:18 AM

Maybe!

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
Are there any bars that don't require mods? Some people speak highly of the cabing bar.
I haven't seen any, though I am not saying that they don't exist.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:16 PM

Remove the bracket on the passenger side the holds the AC line since it's not necessary and can be zip tied in alternate locations. Remove the bracket on the the drivers side since all it hold is the engine bay light switch. Install a washer over the passenger side strut stud that is closest to the power steering reservoir bracket. The washer should be about the same thickness as the PS bracket.

When it's all said and done, don't be surprised if it still doesn't fit. There aren't many front strut bars that fit right on these cars. Carbing is one of very few.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:22 PM

Update!

I installed the front Strut Bar this past weekend. Thought that I would post some pics to show the installation. I cut and ground off the hose braket on the the passanger side. I bented the power steering pump bracket out of the way, and routed a slot in the bracket that holds the vacuum 'gizmo'. I re-routed the throttle cable, replaced the fuel lines and re-routed them slightly, and bent the bracket for the hood security switch. I also cleaned up the engine compartment, as you can tell from the previous pictures to the ones shown here.
Thanks for the help! (Once again)
Attached Thumbnails Strut Tower Bars installation-strut-bar-inst002.jpg   Strut Tower Bars installation-strut-bar-inst003.jpg   Strut Tower Bars installation-strut-bar-inst004.jpg  
Old 09-27-2005, 05:21 PM
Jack Of All Trades

Looks really good.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Administrative Brown Guy

Originally Posted by CanyonCarver
Looks really good.

2nd.
I've had my eye on that bar for a while.
looks really great, temptation growing.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:40 AM

Go For It!

2nd.
I've had my eye on that bar for a while.
looks really great, temptation growing.
I really like these Otto Racing Strut Bars! I talked with a couple of other people and looked at another installation of a different manufacturer strut bar (can't rember whose's they were) at the last local Z-meeting. The guy I met at the Z-meeting said that he had to grind the top of the strut tower mounts in order to clear the bottom of the hood, and his front strut bar cost him $150. I bought these off of an Ebay store for $169 for both! He was also the guy that told me to put mineral spirts in a spray bottle, spray it in the engine compartment, then use a rag to clean off the 'gunk'. It worked GREAT! I never would have imagined that mineral spirts would do such a great job without hurting the paint!
I have a new spoiler coming in today. Its an aftermarket version though exactly like the stock one. I have also ordered a Greddy urathane front body kit (front bumper only), a Bomex vented facial piece, and a carbon fiber hood! I can't wait to get it all installed and the car painted. I will probably install the rear strut bar this weekend. Should be easier than the front!

Last edited by KevinH; 09-28-2005 at 05:43 AM.
Old 09-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Administrative Brown Guy

painting the carbon fiber hood?
Old 09-28-2005, 01:53 PM

Nooooooooo!

painting the carbon fiber hood?
Absolutely Not! I am not going to paint the CF hood. The front right fender, hood and nose pc. was replaced on this car before I got it (minor fender bender), so the paint doesn't exactly match the rest of the car. I figured once I got the new spoiler mounted, Greddy front body kit installed, and the CF hood installed, I would have some body work done on the car and go ahead and have it painted with the new parts (except the hood - of course! ) I want that CF to shine!