300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Steering wheel/quick disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 06:18 PM

Steering wheel/quick disconnect

Has anyone put in an aftermarket steering wheel and/or a quick disconnect for it? Do you think that it would stick out more that the stock one, and could you hook it up yourself?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:25 PM

Im sure it could be done yourself, if you have some patience and are a bit mechanically savvy... however they do say "professional installation recommended" for a reason I suppose...
Old 01-29-2006, 10:11 PM
F5 Hero

Originally Posted by Aphrodite
Im sure it could be done yourself, if you have some patience and are a bit mechanically savvy... however they do say "professional installation recommended" for a reason I suppose...
I'm pretty sure it's so you don't blow the airbag in your face. And it seems like i remember reading something about if you put a non airbag wheel in your car, you have to rewire something to 'trick' the ECU into thinking that the airbag hasn't deployed, something about the check engine light being on, or the car not starting bc it thinks it's deployed or something, I don't know, I may of been dreaming when I read that.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Über User

yes, airbags i definatly agree. and to answer the other question most real aftermarket steering wheels do stick out more, that way you cna skot wya back to get ur feet hte clearence adn you have the wheel closer in ur lap so you cna move ur hands fater its not like out of reach, better personal control. also y they disconnect so you can get in easier.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:29 AM

A buddy of mine just installed a nice MOMO piece on his Z. With the spacer and all the brakettry it fits pretty close to stock. There might be some difference, but I cannot tell. I would like to do the quick disconnect steering wheel myself. But I wont consider it until I do my racing seats and 4 point harness. Then I ll consider removing the airbag.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by napoleonzheking
I'm pretty sure it's so you don't blow the airbag in your face. And it seems like i remember reading something about if you put a non airbag wheel in your car, you have to rewire something to 'trick' the ECU into thinking that the airbag hasn't deployed, something about the check engine light being on, or the car not starting bc it thinks it's deployed or something, I don't know, I may of been dreaming when I read that.

Eh, didnt even consider the airbag since I have none
Old 02-01-2006, 01:42 PM
S13 or Z32?....decisions, decisions.

Originally Posted by Aphrodite
Eh, didnt even consider the airbag since I have none
One more reason I'm happy to own a 90 w/o airbags
Old 02-01-2006, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by WhtFairLadyZ
A buddy of mine just installed a nice MOMO piece on his Z. With the spacer and all the brakettry it fits pretty close to stock. There might be some difference, but I cannot tell. I would like to do the quick disconnect steering wheel myself. But I wont consider it until I do my racing seats and 4 point harness. Then I ll consider removing the airbag.

Did it require any welding?
Old 02-01-2006, 03:40 PM

No i dont think so. I ll find out though.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:37 PM
Über User

how are you gonna mount that 4-point racing harness? cuase most people bolt it to the floor but thats apparently wrong. your supposed top have a roll cage that or at least a bar that spans the cars width at the same height as the seat the pass over. i guess when its lower and you stop hard or get in an accident when ur body slides forward instead of pulling against your chest to stop you they will then pull downward and actually cause spinal injuries. just somethign i felt i should and sorry for the off topic-ness.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
how are you gonna mount that 4-point racing harness? cuase most people bolt it to the floor but thats apparently wrong. your supposed top have a roll cage that or at least a bar that spans the cars width at the same height as the seat the pass over. i guess when its lower and you stop hard or get in an accident when ur body slides forward instead of pulling against your chest to stop you they will then pull downward and actually cause spinal injuries. just somethign i felt i should and sorry for the off topic-ness.

I would think the only danger of downward motion is if the holes they pass through are in soft material so the belts would be able to move vertically instead of only pulling strait back
Old 02-02-2006, 05:47 AM

I was planning on mpunting the lap belts to the two rear seat bolts and then strapping the shoulder harness belts to the rear strut tower bar. I ve seen alot of cars do it that way and it does not position the straps in that no mounting zone that everyone is talking about. I think it is like only 5 degrees of slope from the seat to rear strut tower brace.
Old 02-02-2006, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
This is very true...it has been proven in crash tests. If I remember right improper belt mounting angle was actually a contributing factor in Dale Earnhardts death. Along with compressing the spine it can cause the belts to tear.