300ZX (Z32) Appearance Exterior, Interior Discussions related to body kits, accessories, interiors, window tinting etc.

Ooops...bent my seat...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 AM

Ooops...bent my seat...

Was having some issues with my drivers seat adjustability in my 93' NA. I started to notice the rigth side appeared to be leaning over a bit, after taking the time to adjust the seat while NOT sitting in it I found that when tilting the seat back forward it would go even only so far before the right side would stop and the left would continue moving. Raising the rear of the seat would only have the left side going up. The front tilt and the forward/back movement is fine. Thought I had a burned out motor or something, took it to Nissan since it would appear nobody else in Orange County can actually diagnose a problem on a 300ZX....

Well, 94 bucks later (diagnostic fee...but at least they did a half-assed job of washing it right?) the guy tells me by seat back assembly is bent and needs to be replaced. Says Nissan HQ has one in stock and it'll cost me 500 bucks parts and labor out the door. Fine, whatever...green light. 30 minutes later he calls me back to say the inventory system was wrong, there is no part there or anywhere. They don't stock them, they don't make them, they don't know who does.

So, right now my three options are:

1 - Continue to drive my car looking like I have a perminant case of "Gangst'a lean"

2 - Buy a replacement seat back assembly and have Nissan replace it for me since I already paid for an hours' labor.

3 - Find a whole new seat, undo 4 bolts and a wiring harness and replace the whole damn thing myself.

The big question is, where the bloody blue hell am I gonna find one or the other???? So far my calls to local shops have resulted in nothing other than a good impression that nobody knows what the hell they're talking about. And my internet searches have all been in vain due to the parts not being stocked or made anymore. Even Ebay was a zero.

Anybody got a good link, or even a seat to sell?

1993 NA 2+2, tan interrior, prefer the 8 directional electric type.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
caught the z fever

twinturbo.net
or
3zc.com
Old 03-19-2008, 09:25 AM
General Z User

Check the classified sections of the major z32 sites

http://twinturbo.net/net/viewforum.a...rum=classified

http://www.300zxclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Also...

http://www.copartfinder.com, can be a good place to look.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Ruff Ryder

or the junkyard is also a good option for finding the seat rail assembly's
Old 03-19-2008, 12:48 PM

Excellent, knew I could count on you folks. I'll update if anything interesting happens.

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Pr0n Addict

if it gets that hard to find a stock seat (which i doubt), you could always go afermarket. they usually don't look as good but i'd say that my cheap racing imitation seats are mor comphortable because of the side support
Old 03-22-2008, 01:08 PM

So far no luck. Even self-proclaimed "custom upolstery" shops look at me like I just asked them for the cure to cancer when I ask them if I can get new seats through them. Oy...what a pain in the ***.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:09 PM
General Z User

Why are you looking for a "New" seat?

Check the classified section of the Z32 forums directly linked in my other post, or check the co-part finder link for a junk yard in your area that has a z32.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Barry'Z(NJ)
Why are you looking for a "New" seat?

Check the classified section of the Z32 forums directly linked in my other post, or check the co-part finder link for a junk yard in your area that has a z32.
Been browsing, unfortunately I cant sign in to those sites from work and I only remember that I NEED to while I'm at work...catch 22 of the working man I suppose. Got more than a few leads to work off of this week, should be interesting.

Edit - Bah!! TT.net is having log in/sign up issues and 300zxclub lets me sign in but I dont have permission to view the classifieds. Argh!!
Might have some leads down here though but I need to know something:

Is the seat back assembly identical for both the driver side and pass side seats? I've got a guy wanting to sell me an extra seat, passenger side, for 40 bucks. If they're the same parts then the choice is obvious. Drop 40 on a used seat, tear it down, swap the parts.

Anybody know if they're the same thing on either side?

Last edited by Comorat2x2; 03-27-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:24 AM
General Z User

You can look at tt.net without logging on, you only need to log-on to post.

Sorry, I don't think you can swap seat-backs from left to right.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by willkrom1990
if it gets that hard to find a stock seat (which i doubt), you could always go afermarket. they usually don't look as good but i'd say that my cheap racing imitation seats are mor comphortable because of the side support

Whered you pick up your seats? Even my wife is saying to get new seats now, I might as well humor her and show her some pictures.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 AM
caught the z fever

you could try looking thru the z32 vendor list...just to start with
Old 04-04-2008, 05:50 AM

The giant monster list on Rizz's links? Working on it. lol Only so many hours in the day not occupied by work.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:37 PM
Tough Guy

http://cgi.ebay.com/300zx-Beige-Clot...QQcmdZViewItem

Happy bidding. I guess. Its a little beat up, but it beats spending 500 bucks or so. You can always get it covered with the money youre saving.

Or why dont you just upgrade to leather seats? Theyre all over ebay.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:34 PM
Pr0n Addict

sorry, i didn't look at this thread for a while. i don't know where my seats came from, but i've seen them in catalouges, like safe racer or whatever. maybe jegs too. i think pep boys has them. they are comphortable, i just don't like the look too much
Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by domsgarage
http://cgi.ebay.com/300zx-Beige-Clot...QQcmdZViewItem

Happy bidding. I guess. Its a little beat up, but it beats spending 500 bucks or so. You can always get it covered with the money youre saving.

Or why dont you just upgrade to leather seats? Theyre all over ebay.
Nah, prefer the cloth. My seat cloth is in great shape, just need to part out hte back assembly. Missed this auction but I'm gonna give the guy a shout and see if he'll relist with a buy it now. Thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Tough Guy

Originally Posted by Comorat2x2
Nah, prefer the cloth. My seat cloth is in great shape, just need to part out hte back assembly. Missed this auction but I'm gonna give the guy a shout and see if he'll relist with a buy it now. Thanks!

Im actually really surprised that you would like the cloth better, but at the same time with the summer temperatures around here, the leather gets hot. good thing I got myself some t-top shades.

No problem on the auction and good luck brotha.
Old 04-23-2008, 05:53 AM

Yeah, got distracted and blew the auction....some dude got em for 202 and some change plus the 125 shipping. Ah well, they'll be others.
Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 AM

Hey hey! Found me a winner! Check out this beauty!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...MEWN:IT&ih=019

Pretty cherry huh? Best quality seat I've seen in ages! LOL
Keep in mind I only want the seat back assembly, all the other goodies will most likely be stripped down and sold off. With any luck I'll have a fully functional drivers seat in a week.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:51 AM

Dangit!! I have the same case of "Gangst'a lean". I was readjusting in the seat and crack! it skipped a tooth. I re-upholstered the seats recently and tried my hand at re-synching the teeth. I noticed there is an "axle" rod that the seat rides on to do the back and forth motion. The ends of this axle are marked with yellow ink to signify its alignment with the wheel. I tried prying the left side of the seats from off of this axle and noticed a small toothed cylinder. If you could turn that AND pry the frame apart a bit you might be able to realign it. I was dead tired from putting on the leather for the seat but Ill prbly crack at it this weekend.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by chicopriest
Dangit!! I have the same case of "Gangst'a lean". I was readjusting in the seat and crack! it skipped a tooth. I re-upholstered the seats recently and tried my hand at re-synching the teeth. I noticed there is an "axle" rod that the seat rides on to do the back and forth motion. The ends of this axle are marked with yellow ink to signify its alignment with the wheel. I tried prying the left side of the seats from off of this axle and noticed a small toothed cylinder. If you could turn that AND pry the frame apart a bit you might be able to realign it. I was dead tired from putting on the leather for the seat but Ill prbly crack at it this weekend.
Oh I wish it was that simple, nah my seat back assembly is definately bent. Just waiting for the guy to ship the damn thing now. I hate waiting.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:17 AM

Woot! Finally got er' fixed. Ended up taking the junker seat off ebay on down to Bon A Rouse in Orange, the guy hooked me up real nice. 175 bucks to gut my seat, teh junk seat, make one "new" franken-seat and then he was kind enough to re-enforce the hell out of it for me. Looks totally stock, works like new and feels as solid as a slab of granite. I swear, if I get into a horrific firey crash now all they'll find is this seat

Ahh closure.
Old 06-12-2008, 11:44 AM

Speaking as a 6'+ man

I felt your pain, and now I feel your relief.
Old 04-06-2013, 04:26 PM

when i first got my z, i noticed the same thing on both seats. so i took the seats out and looked to see if they were bent/slanted, but they looked perfect to me. so i went back to the car and put a level across the two back bolts coming up through the floor and realized the previous owner must have thought the bottom of the bolt head was a jack spot. so my floor was actually bent up. i knocked the floor back down a little to where they were level and now my seats move super smoothly
Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 PM

must be noob day, all these old treads being opened