300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

z31T EGR valve gone out?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 10:33 AM

Question z31T EGR valve gone out?

Has any body's EGR valve gone out on there Turbo motor? I put a cheap *** sunco A/F gauge (LED type) in and the f#%^@ thing wont read, I put a new O2 sensor in, still nothing. I'm positive it is running rich, I can smell it in traffic and I get black smoke sometimes on acceleration. The car will stall when u push the diaphram up, but it feels really easy when compared to another EGR valve. I have a K&N air filter and have put a resonater in place of the cat, other than that the intake/exhaust is stock. I'm thinking its the EGR or the mass air flow meter, any thoughts??
Old 09-11-2006, 11:00 AM
The Good Twin

An EGR valve isn't going to affect the a/f gauge readings, since the EGR exhaust tube is after the O2 sensor. If your a/f gauge isn't working, it's not hooked up right, or it's a broken a/f gauge.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:39 PM

Or my O2 sensor is not reading, So why the rich smell? It seems to be running rich and slugging gas. The a/f gauge is the only way to tell if it is running rich right? Is there a way to test the air flow meter? Seems like I remeber someone telling me I can un-plug the AFM and it will go into a open loop, but I cant remember how u tell from there.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:55 PM

I just had this happen to me. I figured it out. Get a new gauge. Connect it to the black wire with the ground going around it.

Im not sure if the colors are the same as mine but the wire should be thicker than the others strip it off there are two wires inside one wraped around the other the one in the middle is the one you want. I went through two gauges before I figured it out. I changed my O2 sensor and everything also. If you connect the gauge wrong at all it will kill it. They are very sensitive.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:21 AM

I'll have to get a new gauge and try it this week end, this thing has been buging me for a while. I'll post when I get it working right.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:32 AM

Ok, so I got the gauge working (no power to the gauge), lol. Some advice guys, dont use those stupid scotch locks to splice wires, they dont cut thru the coating for sh%t!! So this weekend I got a Idle Air Control Valve out of a yard here in town and cleaned the TPS and conector(coroded). The cold start is definitly stronger, runs all around smoother, drove it Sat and sun and it ran great! Drove it to work this morning and it started missing again, 1-3 gear it flat spots in the power band @ 3500. I now have the A/F gauge working but it stays rich, I know I have the signal wire(in the N/A harness it is the yellow wire) hooked up to the O2 because I get a .50 to 1.00v fluctuation and the meter reads the higest rich reading when warming up then drops but stays really high. Pulled the O2 sensor, it was fouled so I ordered a new one, I'll put that in tonight. I unpluged the MAFM, and the car wont rev over 1500-2000 so that seems normal. In a car this old is the signal the ECM picks up to rich/lean out the mixture come from the O2?? or would this miss possibly be from the MAF or the ECM itself. Thank you for reading this short novel, I will be at Barnes and Nobels for a live signing the 19th through the 21st.