300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Twin Turbo Swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 06:49 AM

Twin Turbo Swap

Looking for some major help: does anyone know of someone who has done the VG30DETT into their z31? is it possible to get some kind of "how to" write up or pictures, as most do in the Nico forums? I'm kind of in a tight spot and have no choice but to go with this swap... can anyone help? thanks for any info you could give!

HELP!!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:14 AM
The Good Twin

Been asked before. Feel free to SEARCH. I guess I should say... been asked a lot... been shot down a lot.

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/showt...light=VG30DETT

The list goes on.
Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 PM

Thank you Nismopick... I appreciate your response, but I wasn't asking of the possibility of the swap, more along the lines of what is seen in NicoClub forums... ie pictures, diagrams, wire harness layouts, step-by-step pics, stuff like that. Yes I HAVE done my research and I'm not quite like the rest of these noobs on here looking for a free answer, or handout. I can say that I know what I'm doing when it comes to engine swaps, b/c my friend and I just dropped a RB20DET in his '90 S13 240SX, and it's a beaut... once again, I appreciate the response, but not quite the sarcasm...
Old 02-21-2007, 05:54 PM

And furthermore, yes, I understand that that "question" has been asked many times, and "shot down" many times, but of all the people who has said that it's impossible, or more difficult, or not worth the trouble, I haven't heard or seen any pliable reason as to why... What's so hard bout it? turbo manifolds? tubing, intake, intercooler? I mean, what the hell is so hard of putting a same size engine, same size block, same mount position,...etc that has twin turbos, twin intake, twin intercooler, and twin exhaust? I have seen engines as big as LS1s twin turbos put in that engine bay... If everyone were to say "impossible" to all these types of swaps, I do not believe the "tuner" world would be what it is today. If everyone were to just say "no" to such difficulty, we wouldn't have hybrid 240s, RB20DETs, RB25DETs, and RB26DETs, VG30ETs, VQ35DEs, or anything else, just to name a few... once again, i say thank you, but I'm not sure what type of car owner you are... one with no imgination, or one with sloth?
Old 02-21-2007, 06:03 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

not a big fan of the "tuner" world myself. it could go away and i would be happy. but no, there is noone on this site that has done this swap that i can recall. and there is definitely not any diagrams or anything on how to do such a thing. reason being, most people realise after research that the swap is a lot of hassle and not worth the money or effort. this swap will require much custom fabrication and lots of money. it isnt a size thing at all. the motor can be made to fit, most anything is possible. there are just better ways to get power into a z31. by all means, do the swap. its your car and your money. just realize that it is uncharted territory, and theres probably a good reason why. if it was easy or worth it, logically it would have been done a few times.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:10 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by slicknick300zt
And furthermore, yes, I understand that that "question" has been asked many times, and "shot down" many times, but of all the people who has said that it's impossible, or more difficult, or not worth the trouble, I haven't heard or seen any pliable reason as to why... What's so hard bout it? turbo manifolds? tubing, intake, intercooler? I mean, what the hell is so hard of putting a same size engine, same size block, same mount position,...etc that has twin turbos, twin intake, twin intercooler, and twin exhaust? I have seen engines as big as LS1s twin turbos put in that engine bay... If everyone were to say "impossible" to all these types of swaps, I do not believe the "tuner" world would be what it is today. If everyone were to just say "no" to such difficulty, we wouldn't have hybrid 240s, RB20DETs, RB25DETs, and RB26DETs, VG30ETs, VQ35DEs, or anything else, just to name a few... once again, i say thank you, but I'm not sure what type of car owner you are... one with no imgination, or one with sloth?
um... if it's sooooo easy, and can be done w/ no imagination, why are you asking for help? Sounds like you could do it w/ your eyes closed & hands tied behind your back.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:11 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

hey pick, he called your car slow.
Old 02-21-2007, 06:15 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by entropy31
hey pick, he called your car slow.
yeah... turbos are slow. That's why he wants one too.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 PM

sorry my friend, not wanting to start a fight... a forum fight is kinda stupid, and ridiculous... however, NO, i was not calling your car slow, nismo, "sloth" is one of the deadly sins, you know, there are seven? sloth means laziness, meaning you aren't willing to do something challenging, just b/c it's that, challenging... and YES i have a turbo... i have an 86 turbo, you can ask mark z, he can confirm... so that should clear up any confusion you guys might have from what i was saying, read and comprehend, it works well!!

and let's not forget that i THANKED you for your response, indicating that i was NOT trying to insult you, i could easily do that without sounding nice, especially to someone who only "plays an ******* on the internet"
Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ That didn't answer my question....

Originally Posted by NismoPick
um... if it's sooooo easy, and can be done w/ no imagination, why are you asking for help? Sounds like you could do it w/ your eyes closed & hands tied behind your back.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:02 AM
caught the z fever

i dont really remember how "big" the z31 engine is, but im pretty sure its not as big as the DETT. my guess when people thought about putting the DETT in a z31, they were pretty worried about space.
Old 02-23-2007, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by slicknick300zt
Looking for some major help: does anyone know of someone who has done the VG30DETT into their z31? is it possible to get some kind of "how to" write up or pictures, as most do in the Nico forums? I'm kind of in a tight spot and have no choice but to go with this swap... can anyone help? thanks for any info you could give!

HELP!!
There are no how-to instructions because the only three I've ever heard of have all been done in Japan. They don't speak too good english over there.

So there is no help for you. Maybe on http://www.hybridz.org there might be. But nothing specific to the Z31.

Why do you have no choice? Is someone holding a gun to your head and making you swap in a DOHC? There are plenty of options. Find another SOHC. Pick up a VG33E from a pathfinder/xterra/frontier (very popular swap these days). V8, RB, etc. Lots of options if you really want to look. But then again, there are no real instructions for those either.

Want pictures? Okay:

And the reason everyone says it isn't worth the headache is because of the costs and time associated. The cost of the engine, ECU, transmission, and wiring harness is far more than finding any other VG motor. And then you factor in the cost of custom mounts and the time to tune it up properly and get it working. In the end, you'll probably end up spending well over $3000 for it. Now if you consider that you can pick up another VG30 for about $500 and swap it in and drive it within a short amount of time with no custom work, why do you think people say it's stupid/foolish to swap into a VG30DETT?

Last edited by AZ-ZBum; 02-23-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:13 AM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
hehe.... gives a whole new meaning to TT, real neat idea on HybridZ

hehe... if you didn't understand it already... that's a small block Chevy LT1. If that doesn't scream twin turbo at you, I dunno what will
Old 02-26-2007, 09:14 AM
Über User

sweet idea but that is one haggard *** turbo.... does it even spin? lol
Old 02-26-2007, 09:45 AM
Bad Speller

Originally Posted by snwbrderphat540
sweet idea but that is one haggard *** turbo.... does it even spin? lol
lol agreed.

ha ha yeah I might considera Z31.... but I really want a Z32 again. so blah. and yeah I have an S13 with an RB20 swap. buddy RB20 swap is if not easier just as Easy as an SR so sorry U have no creativity. as far as doing a DOHC on a Z31. knock yourself out. I wanna see you try this and "not be lazy" I say download the Z32 FSM, the Z31 FMS honestly I don;t think it will be that hard. I'll spoon feed you some of the easy info.

Interior Harness:
Yellow/red stripe = RPM signal
Yellow/ Green Stripe = SPeed signal
Blue/black stripe = Temperature
Orange = AC signal
Black = Ground

that is all you shoudl need for the cluster

body harness this is what i know off the top of my head:
Red = COnstant power to ECU (to keep memory)
Black / red stripe = Switch on the power to ECU
Black / pink stripe = Fuel pump switch

Z32 lower harness should work with the Z31 as far as I can see the only possible things that might not lug in/ reach can be the Alternator and the Oil Pressure sensor. but who needs that shitty OEM sensor. put an After market oil pressure gauge. temperature sensor swap in the Z31 gauge sensor to make sure you are reading properly. this is all I canthink of ont he top of my head. so hey have fun researching I wanna see you pull this off since you are very confident sir..

and a FYI Ive done these swaps so far
RB26 -> S13
RB25 -> S13
RB20 -> S13 (X4)
SR20 -> S13 (x2)
CA18 -> S13
VG30ET - > Z31
Twin Tubo swap a Z32

I think I know what im talking about