300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Intercooler/Piping Kit Recommendations?

Old 06-08-2009, 10:34 PM

Intercooler/Piping Kit Recommendations?

Is there a particular piping kit that can be used as a good starting point (depending on the intercooler, I guess) for the Z31? I want to keep my AC. Not sure what IC I'll go with yet, but that too depends on which ones have been successful and also cosmetically pleasing setups that people have used, who kept their AC unit. If necessary, I'll use the modified engine mount pipe method, I believe. Just wondering if there is a good kit to start with...you know, one that has a good assortment of pipes and elbows that will provide a nice starting point. I know there is no kit that just fits, unless you want to pay $1000+ bucks, and I doubt those are designed to keep the AC unit. I'm thinking I'll start looking for a MK4 intercooler, and a good piping kit, and just go from there. Can this be done without removing the whole front end? I just had it painted, and would rather do this without removing the bumper skin, if possible. Where it'll be mounted, it almost looks like it might not be necessary.

This is probably a ways into the future, but it can't hurt to start my research now, and maybe I'll run across what I need little by little. Any advice will be appreciated. I wish the freaking TB was on the passenger side. It would make life so much easier! Anyone know if anyone sells a modified plenum, like this? Isn't that beautiful?

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 06-09-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 AM
The Good Twin

That pic is from Redz31.net ... have you checked that website? FULL of IC setup info.....

http://www.redz31.net/pages/intercooler.html

http://www.redz31.net/turbofaq/intercoolers.html
Old 06-09-2009, 10:56 AM

Yep! That's where I found that pic. Yeah, there are all kinds of pics, but not really any mention of what they started with. They're all completely unique and custom setups, as far as I can tell. (And not many of them kept their AC) I was just wondering if there's a good kit to start with...you know...one that would have most of everything I would need to get there and back. It's going to be one hell of a job, otherwise.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:00 AM
The Good Twin

Yep... here's the kits:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PTC05/10-2121

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/PTC05/10-2122
Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 AM

Yeah, but I'm not paying $2K for it, and those kits do not spare the AC, anyway. I'm sure there are some decent universal kits out there that would make a good starting point, at a fraction of the cost. Not many people want to spend that kind of money on just the parts alone, when you can pick up universal kits for a few hundred bucks. That's why there are so many custom piping jobs on that page.
I mean, the Z Store doesn't even have pics of what you're getting! Not very good marketing. I sure as hell wouldn't blindly pay $2K for something I can't even see. It actually just says intercooler, too...doesn't mention piping. Taris Blue's setup is the only one that looks even close to what I'd want to do, as I'm also not cutting through my fender to do this. BOOSTEDZ looks good too, but looks like it may be very tight on clearance. Both are very custom jobs, which is great, if you know someone with a pipe bender and/or a very good welder. Honda Hater's setup looks like it would work too, if I can get my hands on custom plenum like the one in the pic above.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 06-09-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:52 AM
The Good Twin

It sounds like you understand that it's going to be "custom". So, what's your question? Which kit? Take your pick... there's only about 2,767 on ebay....
Old 06-09-2009, 11:56 AM

I'm basically asking if anyone else has already done this and if they found a good kit to start with. I've seen some that were obviously kits, that managed to get the job done without any cutting or welding. Those are the people I'd like some advice from. Custom bent/welded piping is great, if you have everything you need to do it yourself. Unfortunately, I don't. If anyone has any suggestions to narrow down the 2,767 kits, I'd sure appreciate it.

Last edited by SloppyGoat; 06-09-2009 at 11:59 AM.