300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

CV Axle Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 10:53 AM

Question CV Axle Upgrades

Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on CV axles and branding. I have a 1988 z31 300zx non-turbo 2+2 and have been considering updating my CV axles. I'm finding that sourcing parts for these NA cars is a bit challenging and I don't want to have to rebuy several different components just to upgrade one thing later on down the road. I'm wanting to upgrade from an open diff to a LSD at some point and I'd also like to install some new CV axles since my originals aren't in great shape. Rockauto has some that are relatively inexpensive and the install process seems relatively simple. My question is, if I buy some cheaper OEM cv axles, will they be compatible with an upgraded LSD in the future? Mechanically this upgrade is a little more complex than everything else I've done so far. Just want to be sure of myself before I go buying parts that I'll end up needing to replace anyway. Also, are there any aftermarket brands that tout better performance when it comes to CV axles or will standards work all the same? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-30-2024, 11:23 AM

There are no new aftermarket (or OEM LSDs) for the Z31. You may be able to find a 35 year old used one on Ebay.

However, with a 2+2 NA Z31, you really don't need limited slip without the turbo. With only 160 HP when new and most likely only 130 now almost 40 years later, spinning the wheels will not be an issue. And there is little you can do to the NA engine to significantly increase power except going turbo. So the NA's don't need the limited slip. Get the Rock Auto CV Axles. Nissan no longer has them.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by zoobiedoobiedoo
Hey guys,

Looking for some advice on CV axles and branding. I have a 1988 z31 300zx non-turbo 2+2 and have been considering updating my CV axles. I'm finding that sourcing parts for these NA cars is a bit challenging and I don't want to have to rebuy several different components just to upgrade one thing later on down the road. I'm wanting to upgrade from an open diff to a LSD at some point and I'd also like to install some new CV axles since my originals aren't in great shape. Rockauto has some that are relatively inexpensive and the install process seems relatively simple. My question is, if I buy some cheaper OEM cv axles, will they be compatible with an upgraded LSD in the future? Mechanically this upgrade is a little more complex than everything else I've done so far. Just want to be sure of myself before I go buying parts that I'll end up needing to replace anyway. Also, are there any aftermarket brands that tout better performance when it comes to CV axles or will standards work all the same? Thanks in advance.
Not sure if this will help but, futofab.com offers Datsun parts including Z cars. However, this might be a long shot as I have no idea if the sizing will work. Still, you might find a few jems (think rims).

Better yet is to reach out to Japan. I've done this after getting the suggestion from a friend who gets his parts (and an Xfinity car!!!) from a number of jp sources. At least one is set up as an auction house for individuals who're selling parts.

yoshiparts
autopartsbeforward
nengun
amayama

This is a partial list. Search for 'Nissan parts sold in Japan' and you're golden.