300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

Another bad MAF?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 01:06 AM

Another bad MAF?

Bought a MAF from the yard, hooked it up, car idled fine and drove the same for about 10 minutes, before i shut it down. Every day since then, i would at least let it idle a few minutes, and the Z seemed back to normal. I didn't take it out for a few days, but yesterday, i drove it, and after the usual start, the car started to bog down, and i barely made it home.
Disconnected the Maf that i just put in last week, and the car seemed to idle pretty good, but once in a while it would rise up, and settle back down. Played around with the TPS sensor, and that seems to be adjusted correctly. Putting any type of load on the car, makes it stall right out.
Just wondering, is it possible i just purchased a bad MAF, or should i explore further to see if something is making this one , like the other one, fail ?.
BTW, when doing codes, is the computer unit itself supposed to get somewhat hot?, or is that a sign that may be part of the problem>?
Old 08-20-2010, 04:50 PM
The Good Twin

Yes, the ecu will get hot.

What are the codes this time?
Old 08-21-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Yes, the ecu will get hot.

What are the codes this time?
put another maf and a different computer in, everything seems fine now, code only reads forty-four!! , which is good!