300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

question about air regulator, 86 na

Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 PM

question about air regulator, 86 na

The car seems to have a hissing(like a vac leak) right in the location of the air regulator. I have not taken it off, but i noticed the 1s at the yard are round shaped, after the shaft, where mine is square. Do i have to put in the exact same type, or could i go with the round model if i decided to swap it out?.
I see no other place where this "hissing" can be coming from, but the unit itself looks ok, meaning i see no visible crack in the diaphram. If i just went through a 3rd MAF, and a different computer to finally get the car running correctly, should i change or replace the regulator also, to be on the safe side?.
They seem kind of pricy brand new, but if it needs to be replaced, and the square bodies one can not be found, i guess this is what i have to do.
I am not familliar with this part, but can air be actually leaking out , somehwere at the diaphram. Is there a way i can just pull this current regualtor out, and do somekind of troubleshooting, to see if this is a problem that needs to be dealt with?
Thanx for looking!! Last time i ran codes i got a 44, so that is good news to hear.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 PM
Distinquished Guest

If the regulator is functioning properly it is opening enough to give the engine the air it needs to idle. You sorta' said you "finally got the car running correctly", so I suppose that means it's idling okay.

Instead of an air leak, (which you can't have, by the way, because your working with vacuum, not positive pressure) I think what you're hearing is the air passing through the regulator, as it's suppose to do.

You should probably just leave it alone, because once it gets messed up, obtaining a good idle becomes a real chore.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by johnZboy
If the regulator is functioning properly it is opening enough to give the engine the air it needs to idle. You sorta' said you "finally got the car running correctly", so I suppose that means it's idling okay.

Instead of an air leak, (which you can't have, by the way, because your working with vacuum, not positive pressure) I think what you're hearing is the air passing through the regulator, as it's suppose to do.

You should probably just leave it alone, because once it gets messed up, obtaining a good idle becomes a real chore.
I don't think that hissing is normal, but i can tell the idle is strong, but too high. Can't really tell, the exact rpm's since i don't have a working tach.
When i drive slowly in 1st gear, after i let off the gas, the car will keep moving at a steady pace.
I need to find a long, strong screwdriver to adjust the idle down. It just seems that idle screw is kind of difficult to turn. Is the idle screw spring loaded?. Seems like a normal size flat screwdriver doesn't have enough force to turn it.