300ZX (Z31) Performance / Technical Discussions related to Turbo charging, Supercharging, Engine, ECU, exhaust, and etc. performance enhancements and Techical related.

1986 300zx N/A Performance Ideas? NEED HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:14 AM

1986 300zx N/A Performance Ideas? NEED HELP

So I just picked up an absolute steal for a really nice price. Kinda still in awe I got it but im really happy and I wanna do a few things not only for performance but to make it my own. Its a 1986 Nissan 300ZX 5 speed N/A With T-tops and 64,000 all original. Got it for $500. Anyway this is what Im looking at so far.

MSA Performance Exhaust- $300.00 Supposedly good for 5-10 RWHP

MSA 3-2 Header, With Smog Fittings- $330.00 No HP rating

Front+Back Cusco Strut Bars - $430.00

MSA Adjustable Sway Bar Kit $230.00

Major Tune up kit (plugs filter n' pcv valve) $75

Also aftermarket steering wheel and shift **** but thats not worth listing. Theres a few aspects I'm clueless about and really need some opinions. I know it looks like I have a ton of money to blow but this is an absolute work in progress. I intend to add theses things as the Build goes on. Obviously the headers and exhaust need to go on the same time but you guys know what i mean. I need some suggestions on the following things.

-Short throw shifter
-Upgraded Camshaft
-Stage 2-3 Clutch
-Suspension Reinforcement (not roll bars)
-Fuel Delivery
-Weight Reduction
-Cold Air Intake &&& Best possible Air Filter
-Larger Injectors, nothing crazy, I have no clue what size fit but maybe 450cc?
-I know cross drilled/ slotted rotors are good, any ideas on big breaks/calipers?
-Would I need a tune at this point?
-Worth throwing in forged Connecting rods?
-Can I run 93 octane

Let me know what you guys think, I want this to be a really nice daily driver and something I can bring to the local track. Its gonna take me a long time to get all this into the car but its always good to plan. I just put a brand new battery and a brand new clutch master cylinder into it and im pretty motivated to get her going. I'm brand new to this site you some of you guys might think its silly to build an N/A but im working with what i got
Old 04-06-2015, 05:47 AM

Why the hell have 70+ people seen this but no one has input?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Z31Kouki
Why the hell have 70+ people seen this but no one has input?
Dunno, but I too would be interested to hear any feedback on the aftermarket exhaust and headers...
Old 04-06-2015, 03:25 PM

I saw your original post. Figured that to input honestly on all of your points would take me at least an hour of non-stop typing, maybe an hour and a half if I was being totally open and honest with everything you asked. You put a lot of time into your post, anyone can see that.

Given the number of 'input' requests that run through this site - and never even bother to come back to say thanks - I passed up your post. Sorry. Just force of habit. Plus, I don't have an hour and a half to spare. The archives here are loaded with max-out-my-Z31NA threads and I figured you would find them. We have archive pros here who can help you with that.

You def sound like you know what you are doing. Just do it and report back. Has to be done one or two steps at a time, right? Good deal for us. Easy to follow.

Oh, yeah. Photos are cool. You posted none. Nothing better to get guys involved in your project than photos of it. Start to finish? even better.

Thanks!

PS: 87 octane is all you want in a stock Z31. Skip the higher stuff.

Check out ZBUM's New Nissan Z31 300ZX Frequently Asked Questions or ZBUM's New Nissan Z31 300ZX Frequently Asked Questions for a fackton of info on your Z31. ZBum will soon have his face on the US $50 bill.

Last edited by zxguy1986; 04-07-2015 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

like zxguy said you ask too much. If you want to do all that you need a lot of time and a lot of money. you didn't say you had that so I think you are in some fantasy world where that stuff just happens. You also did not state your objective i.e. what kind of car do you want in the final edition. lots of good ideas you have said JARJAR Binks. You list 1000 bucks right out of the chute but you had better budget 5K and plan on doing the lions share of the work. if you have to have help your budget more likely in 10-12K range
Old 04-11-2015, 06:16 PM

Yeah Its definitely a work in progress, I am going to be constantly saving chunks of money for each piece described. I have looked through a lot of those N/A forums and what not and they helped quite a bit. I really dont see $10-12k coming out of that build. Like saving $1k off the bat for the things listed isnt that hard . I think my current purchase is the gonna be Vented, drilled and slotted rotors all the way around. waiting on the headers but prolly going to get the exhaust. Ill post a link with the MSA Headers nd Exhaust. It sound beastly. I WILL WORK ON PHOTOS ASAP. Have to replace the master Cyl too. and I clearly stated the purpose dude.
"I want this to be a really nice daily driver and something I can bring to the local track too"

I appreciate your guys input and sorry if I seemed snappy, I was just eager!

MSA HEADERS + MSA CAT BACK EXHAUST VIDEO (MUST HEAR)