300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

The Z in general

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 02:22 PM

The Z in general

I was just sitting staring at my Z...I do that alot I am told, trying to fig out if I want to keep upgrading or dump it for a newer Z.

So the question is, Why do you like this generation, and what is the best of the 2 300zx generations.

the sole reason why I am thinking of dumping this generation is becasue I am tired of waiting for parts to arrive, and the word "special order" is getting to familiar.

so please help me decide

a 1986 or a 1990's version
Old 01-29-2006, 02:44 PM
VIVA LA Z31!

How can you not like it? How many people have nice Z31's? Not many, yeah sure, if your car is a beater, 2+2 automatic, than get rid of it.

The Z32 is nice looking, but far more popular...Yeah sure you can get parts more readily, like your super cool body kits, and ultra-mega hyper intake system, but then your just another ricer. If your gonna go TwinTurbo, than maybe...but you have to pay 7,000+ for a nice one (atleast here in cali).

For that much money you can make a single turbo Z31 smash on TT's.
Z31's are unique oldschool and when you see a clean one they are teh sex.
Old 01-29-2006, 03:22 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WolfMan
and the word "special order" is getting to familiar.
Consider yourself lucky... Z31 parts are quite a bit easier to find than 240z - 280zx parts.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:30 PM
Opinionated

I was asking myself that same question not to long ago, a friend of mine also has a z31 and wants to use it to trade for a z32. I on the other hand love my 86 and i plan to keep upgrading and restoring it till its "perfect. And if you have problems finding engine parts, you can always put a z32 engine in your car, then you have a little of both cars. I myself am going big with my car and am looking into a Skyline swap once i get all the maintenence/repairs done to the car that need to be done and save enough money to spend on all the stuff that will go along with the swap. Just because its an older car doesn't mean its not a bad *** car. alot more people have z32's and its alot easier to make them "nice". I personally love the challenge of making a z31 nice, and i get more of a reward in making it nice.
Old 01-29-2006, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by WolfMan
I was just sitting staring at my Z...I do that alot I am told, trying to fig out if I want to keep upgrading or dump it for a newer Z.

So the question is, Why do you like this generation, and what is the best of the 2 300zx generations.

the sole reason why I am thinking of dumping this generation is becasue I am tired of waiting for parts to arrive, and the word "special order" is getting to familiar.

so please help me decide

a 1986 or a 1990's version
Cause it's easy to work on. It's the underdog that no one expects to be fast. And if you know what to look for, it's actually not that hard to find parts for them.

You think Z32 parts are going to be easier to come by in Germany? Even here in the states, most Z31 parts are special order. No big deal unless you have to have that part right then or else you won't make it to work.

BTW: Where in Germany are you?
Old 01-29-2006, 08:53 PM

Ok, let me specify what I meant, The Z I have is almost completely restored, I am having way too many issues trying to get things like exhaust and intake systems. Since I live in Ramstein, Germany everything has to be shipped, and most wont use the apo box. I did not say I hate my Z, in fact I sold my trailblazer after I got the Z. Wife told me I have too many cars. I have 3 in germany and 1 back in the states. Is thre too many?

lol, later guys
Old 01-29-2006, 10:51 PM

Location: I'm located in the more southern local... Jackson, MS.
Unhappy

I'm constantly asking myself the same... with the exception that my z is nowhere near finished, or much less drivable. Just yesterday, I stumbled across an '86 turbo, black with red leather interior, 5 speed tranny, digital dash. Only problems the seller claims is the trans is for ****, needs new passenger side glass (triangle window, and door). He wants 475 for it, I told him if he was willing to wait... I'd give him $550. Though, I discovered his location is just between Houston and Freeport, TX. I asked him what caused the damage to the Z. I haven't gotten a reply. If you've kept up with the Hurricanes... after Katrina, Houston got nailed. So I'm thinking that if Houston got hit, Angelton, TX must have. It's a good deal, but I have to drive all they way from Jackson, MS to Houston, TX to get it. Now the kicker is that my friend's letting go of a pristing '94 Mercury Cougar XR-7. Yeah, it's v6...isn't sporty, but perfect for transportation. Being 17 I have to ask myself what's more important. As much as I call myself a gearhead, I want my Z... and at the same time, with my fiance, I need reliable transportation. I was going to pose this question in a fresh thread. But instead... I'd like to ask for some PM's from you guys on what you think I should do. But I too understand the complexities of owning a Z31 (mainly just cash flow at the moment).
Old 01-29-2006, 11:48 PM
The Cake Is A Lie!

first off, good to see you back in the forum Crazy_84na.

i just bought a 1995 slicktop z32 to replace my '87na. i love the z32, its a blast to drive, its clean, everything works. but i will always love my '87 as well, and am sad that i have no room to keep it. if i had the means i would keep it and restore it while driving the z32, but that wont work. maybe one day i will get another, but i think the first restore project i would do is a 240/60/80Z. the z31 has been a fun, faithful car to drive, and a thousand times easier to work on than the z32, but life moves on. now, if i won the lotto or something, i think i would own at least one representation of each Z generation, but thats just dreaming.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
It's the underdog that no one expects to be fast. And if you know what to look for, it's actually not that hard to find parts for them.
That is very true. Many people have called my 300zx a slow piece of ****, and I've either given them a ride or raced them and that really changed their mind. Finding parts is just looking in the right spots, it's not hard at all.