300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Turbo questions

Old 12-07-2009, 08:32 AM

Turbo questions

I just recently purchased a turbo from a third party for approimately $150. The gentleman i purchased it from said it was never used and indeed it looks as if it wasn't used. This guy seemed as if he wasn't all intelligent about anything. On the turbo its imprinted with this on the dataplate:

TURBOCHARGER
TYPE: T04E
PART NO. T3/T4
SERIAL NO. MZ0600####

Then it has a larger imprint on the housing of 'A/R .50' and 'M12'

My question is there is no manufactorer name on it and how do i find out whom its from? What is it's capabilities and power output? Is it in good condition other than its appearance? How do i obtain more information on this turbocharger? Was this a good buy? All ya advice is greatly appreciated! This guy i purchased it from could not answer any of these questions. He stated it sat on his shelf in his bedroom for over a year now. He sold his neon in which he intended to install it in but purchased a truck and was looking to get rid of turbocharger. He then stated he bought it from a co-worker but has lost touch of him and would not be able to aid me in getting these questions answered. So anything up at this point is great. I will post some pics of it as soon as i can find my usb chord to plug into my computer and camera.

My 88 wouldn't of came this far if it wasn't for Nismopick and AZ-ZBUM. Ya guys have done alot for me and thanks. I have learned so much and guys like yall make this site what it is. Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 PM
The Good Twin

Got any pics of it? Especially a close up of the tag. If there's no logo or company name on the tag, it's probably an ebay knock off. Garrett, GReddy, HKS, Turbonetics, etc. are all easy to identify.

It's probably the compressor housing out that has the .50 a/r?

Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 PM

No offense, but are you in a habit of just buying things you don't know anything about?
Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 PM

Actually no. I do know quite a bit and i had a friend with me that has a lot of experience doing high performance mechanics with domestic and import vehicles. He overlooked it and said it was good in condition and never was used. The guy i bought it from also told me if i found something wrong with it he would refund my money. So with a deal like that and a personal warranty like that, would you not jump on it? Plus i have another guy lookin at it right now and tearing the whole thing apart to make sure everything is legit. Im gonna post pictures of it as soon as i get it back from him. He's one of my commercial account guys that specializes in this stuff. Its always best to have another set of eyes and opinion before i buy anything. I didnt' mention it cuz i didnt think it was important. My buddy told me it didnt hurt to get a history on it cuz it would only help me out that much more in the long run. also no offense taken.