300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Turbo Fuel Injectors and Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Turbo Fuel Injectors and Fuel Pump

My '85 NA Z is having some major problems right now. I'm experiencing a hard start up and having trouble keeping it on. It does sputter and shake like a freakin tank on start up. I step on the gas trying to keep it going but it eventually dies. It takes several times to catch it just by hittin the acceleration hard.

I replaced all the fuel lines, new optima battery, new belts, battery cables, thermostat, fuel filter, air filter, dist cap and rotor, plugs, oil change, pretty much a complete tune up. Im thinking its my fuel pump or possibly some injectors are bad. So i figured if i replace one injector might as well do them all with the fuel pump. The only problem is the parts car i have is a 88 turbo. Is it possible to swap the fuel pump and injectors from the 88 turbo and into my 85 without causing any problems until i can get the funds to replace them with the OE parts? My NA has high mileage of 205K but before this happened the engine has been running very healthy and strong. Im also thinking may be needing a valve job with the engine shaking like it is. That's it in the picture with me. I appreciate ya'll help.

~Triggerman~
Old 10-06-2009, 04:56 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by TeamRonin
Is it possible to swap the fuel pump and injectors from the 88 turbo and into my 85 without causing any problems until i can get the funds to replace them with the OE parts?
Possible: yes, without problems: no.

The turbo injectors are much higher cc. The motor will run pig rich.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:23 PM
West Coast!

i have a set of 87 turbo injectors i pulled from the j-yard.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:26 PM
The Good Twin

^^^ and what good will that do him?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:29 PM
West Coast!

dosen't he need some turbo injectors?
Old 10-06-2009, 05:44 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by TeamRonin
The only problem is the parts car i have is a 88 turbo.
Originally Posted by NismoPick
The turbo injectors are much higher cc. The motor will run pig rich.

hum...
Old 10-06-2009, 09:21 PM

yea that's what i kinda figured it would do. Approximately how long do ya think i can run it without any problems? Would it also damage my OE injectors if i were to leave them in and just run the turbo fuel pump? I would imagine so. I think there would be so much pressure be like blowing a golf ball through a garden hose. lol

No i don't need injectors. Already have some. Thanks though bro!
Old 10-06-2009, 09:40 PM
The Good Twin

Why do you think it's the fuel injectors / pump causing the problem?
Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Have you checked and compared the spark plug tips to see if one cylinder is having a problem?
Have you checked the MAF? TPS? CHTS? ECU?
Have you run the ECU diagnostic codes?

I suggest two things:
-Dig deeper
-Take it to an actual repair shop & get a diagnosis.

Swapping parts at will (especially ones not designed for the model car) is asking for more problems.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:20 PM

I've checked all of that bro except checking the codes on the ECU. I forgot that one. But everything else yea i have. Its hard to read the Fuel pressure when i can barely get that sucker to turn over. It fluctuates in power because it can barely turn over. new battery, new alternator, batt cables, new ignition system but coil and distributor. ive done a lot of work to it. somebody was telling me a while ago to check my cold start valve or sensor. But i dont think this vehicle comes with one at all even if it did i wouldnt know where to look.

Yea thats fine and dandy to take it to a mechanic but that takes the whole fun out of putting time, blood, and sweat into restoring one of Japan's crowned jewels. To include into that today's mechanics are crooks and put shame to the name of mechanic. They are not what they used to be like in the good old days where a simple handshake and a mechanics word that something get fixed or not charged at all. I cant ask a mechanic anything whitout him sayin "Bring it in and let me look at it. Its only 75 bucks." To look at it for that much? Lets get real. Ill just look at it and save me 75 bucks ya know.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:24 PM

oh and yea i understand about swapping parts. i was just looking for some reassurance and some little advice on what i could do to solve the problem temporarily. though ya did bring a good point on the ecu!

injectors are not freakin cheap! nor is the pump! even with my store discount at O'Reilly's.