300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

tail and stop lamp sensor bypass

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:20 PM

tail and stop lamp sensor bypass

been trying to find a way to bypass my tail and stop lamp sensor on my 84 300zx. the sensor circut board has corroded due to water damage and there for unrepairable. been trying to order a replacement but is proving very difficult. decided to just bypass altogether. need fixed asap as this car is supposed to be my daily driver. i have access to a voltmeter and have been able to tell where my constant is but not which wire does what for brakes and tail lights. the set up of the connector is (from top, with top being closest to the connector holder) 4 on top and 2 wires on the bottom. constant is the far left wire on top (blue /red to the connector then just red from connector to sensor). i have blown the fuse for the radio 2x when trying out a couple diff combos with constant to see if that would get lights but nothing more after blowing the fuse 2x. idk if my brother-in-law (who owned it before i did) did something wierd to the wiring or what but i really need to get this fixed.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:02 PM

z31 parts

300zx Parts For You webpage page 63, $12 PH $4, I have bought parts from Steve B4, nice guy, only deals in Z31 parts, if something isn't listed, he most likely has a few on hand. I'm not to the point of parting mine out yet, but if I do Ill post.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:01 PM

i found out the issue that i was having when tying to create the bypass. i was trying to work with the wrong control box. i have no idea what box i was messing with but it is gone now. found out that the correct box for the sensor was on the other side of the car. there was a loose connector that had burn marks on it that went no where. upon some investigating by my dad, he found a small circut board that was badly burnt and corroded. come to find out that was what was left of the old sensor. apparently there was a short that fried the sensor and instead of getting a new sensor, one of the previous owners just unplugged the sensor and just moved the reverse lights to the brake light holes and wired the reverse lights to where they stayed on all the time. so we clipped 2 pairs of wires that matched colors and spliced them together and now i have tail and stop light finally. now all the lights work in the rear and now its off to the next major issue of the car, brakes. >.< thanks for the tip on trying to order a new sensor PredatorZ but now i do not need to order a new one.