300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Project Z31... Save or Sell For Parts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 02:22 PM

Project Z31... Save or Sell For Parts?

Hello All,

Well, as I sit and type, I look out over my new 85 2 seater Z31 Turbo I just brought home, wondering what in the blazes I was thinking. I love the 280zx but couldn't find one, so I turned to this baby. Always liked them.

Firstly. The car has RUST. Say it with me, Ruuuuuuust. Back quarter panels are definitely a cut and weld new metal in job. I have holes under the body behind the rear wheels, BIG ones (a foot long?) Under the front wheel wells is fine, a bit of rust holing along the bottom of the doors, and under the running board area. Rear brake light on the passenger side is blown. Key hole on the passenger door looks like someone tried to break into it with a screwdriver (FUBAR). Missing the passenger rear view mirror, but the electrical cables are still there.
Otherwise the exterior is in decent shape, with non leaking T roof and windows (no rust on the perimeter of any windows). Muffler is gone.

The interior is so so. The roof liner is gone, as is the cover for the lights above the driver's head, the dash has a big tear in the leather/covering, the steering wheel is missing the horn cover (horn doesn't work), the seat leather is torn and well worn.
The digital dash works for the most part, except I have no reading on engine temp., oil pressure or battery charge. Fuel seems to read correctly, as does speed, compass etc. A/C works, radio works as does the rear antenna.

The engine is the beauty of this thing. It reads 136,009 on the odometer, however I noticed it did not turn over properly (starts and stops sometimes) so it's probably not an accurate reading. The engine runs, the oil is OK, dark with a tiny smell of gas, but no adulteration of the oil (slick, smooth, no bubbles etc). Brakes don't work, but I filled up the brake fluid container a bit and it helped slightly, but I get no resistance until the last inch to the floor. Still enough to slow down and stop gently.
Turbo spins up and functions. The clutch works in all gears except second, which it has a very hard time getting into, regardless of speed. When driving the car, it would suddenly jerk, almost like a torque grab (a sudden resistance and pull on the rear of the car, with a slight clunk sound), at random times in second, third and fourth gear. Not much in fifth, but occasionally.

In order to get it started, the seller and I had to pull it with his truck and clutch start it, because apparently the starter is shot.
Once we got it started though, it stayed running and I let her warm up. Glad I didn't stall out on the way home!

I just parked it a half hour ago. Turned the key back to on and... no power at all, in any key position. Had to really monkey my way out of the power seat to get out of the car. Forget about turning over, no lights on the dash or any such thing.

So there she sits. My heart screams "Work Hard! Restore this beautiful ride!" The brain yells "Yeah, you got 15 grand? Cause that's how much it will probably cost". Answer is no, I'm a 25 year old carpenter, not much to my name.

What are your thoughts? I can post pictures later this week if there is interest in this thread. Should I sell it for parts and engine, or keep and restore it?

Thanks guys, and happy to be on these forums,
Zeph
Old 12-10-2012, 07:51 PM

Well, got some bad news. Looks like the car was stolen back in the early 90's. It's now considered an abandonment, and needs a special inspection that is extremely rigorous. Hooped. It's a parts car. Anyone in Alberta or Canada want it for parts? It is a JN1C so it has only 140,000 or so KM on the engine!
Old 03-02-2013, 01:38 PM

I need a set of T-Top bags (preferably in black) if you are willing to sell them.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:03 PM

How much are you looking for the whole car?