300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

New 85 z31 owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 04:03 PM

New 85 z31 owner

Just bought one from a friend who said the engine and transmission are in good shape, well I agree they are but I just got done replacing the pressure hose for the power steering, and as soon as I fix that a new problem and this one is making no sense. Also please note I'm not a car guy, I bought this car so I could figure cars out and I have a laundry list that it needs lol. Its a 1985 non Turbo TT

But my current problem before i replaced the pressure hose both headlights raised, now only the drivers side comes up, the passenger side does not. I'm currently confused as to what I might have done and remember please I'm new to working on my own cars.

Also my laundry list of work to be done is this if anyone has any useful information

Replace interior (stained and sunbaked original has to go)
Fix rust inside and outside the car especially in the hatchback area
figure out why my digital controls in the center do not light up
find out why the AC only blows from the far passenger side vent
convert it to eletronic entry and hopefully an automatic phnomic hatchback so I can just open it with ease
Install a desktop computer with a small 7-8in touchpanel for music using my own custom linux distro (the install I need help with, computers however are my career lol)
Paint the car
replace the driver side fender
fix the dents and repaint the car.
put turbo's on the car

Last edited by shellofinsanity; 05-28-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:14 PM

fixed it it seems when i replaced my hose i knocked loose a connection without realizeing it, also here is some pics of my car

as you can tell I have my work cut out for me for the first car i really start to work on.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:55 PM

hello and welcome to zdriver! (says the guy with 1 post LOL) XenonZ31 Resealing Quarter Windows is a helpful resource, rust in the hatch area can usually be contributed to leaky tail lights so i would stop the source before you fix the rust. Im not positive on the wiring but since a radio is missing that could be the same source of power for the center controls. Ive toyed around the idea of a carputer before and since a car and computer both run off a 12v power source i dont think it'd be too hard. In mini atx form with a ssd drive it could be mounted behind the plastic in back, underneath seats, dash.. and one more link ZBUM's Z31 300ZX Repair link page
Old 05-29-2013, 05:35 PM

Ok I found some stuff I need to take care of some general questions and where to find and if ive got the name wrong the correct name.

Can i use Silocone to fix the leaks in the hath back window as well as the side windows

I'm missing the window washer assembly, the resovior lines, and I'm told the pumps are all missing and need to be re aquired.

The Attena switch to go from half height to full height

Also my transmission will not stay in gear unless I hold it and the clutch is slipping in 1st and 2nd. Ive got the NA Sports Coupe GLL model what Transmission do I need to look for, I was going to check the local salvage yards they usually sell transmissions that are in good shape and work, and the one in the car my friend rebuilt and lets just say he is almost as bad at working on cars as myself.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:40 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

hope you didn't pay more than $100 bucks for that hulk. I know z31's quite well and I wouldn't tackle that one. You can't just get parts for 20+ year old cars.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:25 AM

I paid 1200 for it, its a running car with AC in texas thats about the going rate for one that is inspectable and has working AC, and I wanted a car I needed to work on. But where should i look to acquire the parts I need?
Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 PM

You paid too much.

Don't call it a TT. in the Z world, TT means twin turbos. You say the full t-tops.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
You paid too much.

Don't call it a TT. in the Z world, TT means twin turbos. You say the full t-tops.
Sorry did not know also cars with ac that also run are about 2 grand normally unless i want an old carolla or such im just gonna fix it as i have time
Old 05-31-2013, 01:23 PM

Ok Im swapping my transmission tomorrow with pick in pull its where my buddy got his last one. They dont have any 300zx's so what other car would have my 5speed under it. I know a salvage transmission isn't a great idea but I'm also on a budget for now. any help would be appreciated
Old 06-08-2013, 04:58 AM

well I blew my engine up, but then I got extremely lucky. Bought an engine and transmission in the junk yard for 600 bucks total, and this is where the lucky comes in. The engine and transmission are recently rebuilt, quite literally this engine hasn't had more than 1000 miles on it. The car got rear ended shortly after the entire drive train was rebuilt. It's going in today, and I must say this has been one heck of a learning experience on my part, like I said I've never worked on a car before and now I'm swapping an engine lol.