300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Royal Purple aint Purple any more..

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 01:36 PM

Royal Purple aint Purple any more..

A while back I had a little valve tick and I fixed it and a forum member recommended that I switch to synthetic motor oil. Ive used Royal Purple in my bmw's before and it works wonders. So I decided to go with Royal Purple in my 87 Z turbo. About a week passed by and I checked the oil level and the oil was already brown!?!. My car burns about 1/4 of a qt every other week or so but I never expected this. Are my piston rings shot?? or is there something else that I should worry about??..any help would be appreciated because this is my 1st turbo car. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-10-2011, 01:51 PM

http://royalpurple.com/faqs-motor-oil.html
Old 10-10-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by dtmpower
A while back I had a little valve tick and I fixed it and a forum member recommended that I switch to synthetic motor oil. Ive used Royal Purple in my bmw's before and it works wonders. So I decided to go with Royal Purple in my 87 Z turbo. About a week passed by and I checked the oil level and the oil was already brown!?!. My car burns about 1/4 of a qt every other week or so but I never expected this. Are my piston rings shot?? or is there something else that I should worry about??..any help would be appreciated because this is my 1st turbo car. Thanks in advance.
You should have been concerned about it right there. There is obviously a problem.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:55 PM

It does burn oil a little bit but its only been a week..and the oil level is very slightly low(you have to look very close at dip stick)..why would it turn brown only after about 100 miles?..
Old 10-10-2011, 11:06 PM

"Does Royal Purple maintain its purple color after it’s put into service?"
"The dye that’s used to color the oil dissipates shortly after being put into service."
Thats from the faq. So it was going to turn brown almost right away. Nothing to worry about there. But if your burning that much oil... Yes you have a problem!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:38 AM

1/4 of a quart every other week? So that's about a quart every 2 months. I wouldn't say that's anything to worry about. A lot of variables here, and the major one is, how many miles is that? If the Z is a Sunday driver, and 2 months is only 500 miles, then yes, you have a problem. If you commute daily in it, and 2 months is 3-4000 miles, then a quart is totally fine. The consumption that you're seeing could be something as simple as a valve cover gasket leak, or a plugged up PCV valve.

You say you have BMWs? Well, every BMW known to man, will burn a quart or 2 between an oil service. It's just the way it is, and BMW views it as an excellent opportunity to top of the oil, thus renewing the additive package in the oil.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:55 AM
Ruff Ryder

Originally Posted by Son of Lars
1/4 of a quart every other week? So that's about a quart every 2 months. I wouldn't say that's anything to worry about. A lot of variables here, and the major one is, how many miles is that? If the Z is a Sunday driver, and 2 months is only 500 miles, then yes, you have a problem. If you commute daily in it, and 2 months is 3-4000 miles, then a quart is totally fine. The consumption that you're seeing could be something as simple as a valve cover gasket leak, or a plugged up PCV valve.

You say you have BMWs? Well, every BMW known to man, will burn a quart or 2 between an oil service. It's just the way it is, and BMW views it as an excellent opportunity to top of the oil, thus renewing the additive package in the oil.
I can't tell if your retarded or you just don't know what your talking about. Anything that burns/consumes a measurable amount of oil has something wrong, weather it be rings, valve seals, gaskets..etc NO engine that is in good shape will burn any real measurable amount of oil.

And no, if your bimmer is burning oil then you have something wrong. If you are burning 2/3'rds your oil capacity in an oil change on a bimmer then you have a BIG problem.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by hoov100
I can't tell if your retarded or you just don't know what your talking about. Anything that burns/consumes a measurable amount of oil has something wrong, weather it be rings, valve seals, gaskets..etc NO engine that is in good shape will burn any real measurable amount of oil.

And no, if your bimmer is burning oil then you have something wrong. If you are burning 2/3'rds your oil capacity in an oil change on a bimmer then you have a BIG problem.
Well ****, I'm glad some dude on the interwebz is here to tell me I'm retarded! And this from a guy who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're". Ironic.

I'm a certified journeyman automotive technician for over 15 years, did my entire apprenticeship in a Porsche dealership, learning from some of the highest trained techs on the planet. I completed my training there, then went onto BMW dealerships, where I earned my BMW Associate Technician certification, and now run my own independent BMW repair shop.

I've sat through countless seminars held by the fine folks at Total and Motul lubricants, and have diagnosed, repaired, and/or rebuilt more engines in Porsche's and BMW's than you've ever seen. But yes, I don't know what I'm talking about.

BMW current standard for acceptable oil consumption is approx. 1L/1500km. I have never owned or worked on a BMW or Porsche that doesn't consume roughly 1-2L between oil services. Sometimes more. Bear in mind that BMW doesn't spec a 3000 mile drain interval, they go much longer than that.

The Germans believe that with the current long life oil specifications, adding some between services will in fact renew the additive package in the oil, and therefore the engines are designed to consume. That's just a fact.

But hey, I'm retarded and don't know what I'm talking about, so just ignore me.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 AM

So anyway, to the OP, before the great internet car gods start putting the fear of engine rebuilds and wallet shredding expense into your brain, have a good look for an external oil leak, and if you haven't yet replaced the $3 PCV in your car, go ahead and do that now. If it's like every other ancient car on the road, you may want to order the hose from the PCV to valve cover as well. Mine was the consistency of Hoov100's brain. Hard, plastic, and rotten.

If you have no leaks, and the PCV is fresh, have a look for an engine oil made by Lubro Moly. It's called MOS2 and comes in 10w40. Designed for high mileage engines, and may help you out. Just don't be alarmed by it's charcoal grey colour when you're pouring it.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:53 AM
The Good Twin

Interesting... I've owned 4 BMW's (2 E36's, and 2 E39's). Only one consumed oil and that was the M44 motor in my 318ti that had 200k miles and had obviously been mistreated its whole life.

http://xenon.stanford.edu/~kpfleger/..._problems.html

A little bit of oil consumption in the first 5000-mile break-in period is normal, but consensus seems to be that regular consumption of a quart every 1000 or so miles is not normal, though many BMW service people will claim that such behavior is normal for the X5, so it may take some pushing to get a dealer to investigate and fix this. There are reports from plenty of people that their X5s don't consumer any oil.
Granted, the X5 is an SUV, but from a quick Google search, BMW's are not "prone" to "excessive / normal oil consumption".
Old 10-11-2011, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Interesting... I've owned 4 BMW's (2 E36's, and 2 E39's). Only one consumed oil and that was the M44 motor in my 318ti that had 200k miles and had obviously been mistreated its whole life.

http://xenon.stanford.edu/~kpfleger/..._problems.html

Granted, the X5 is an SUV, but from a quick Google search, BMW's are not "prone" to "excessive / normal oil consumption".
The X5 doesn't use it's own special SUV engine though. Just the good old M54, M62, etc. I'd say my most common call these days is "that little yellow oil light came on my dash". That's the thermal level sensor, telling them they're a litre low.

There is a reason BMW gives you one of these in the trunk....

The quote you posted, where it says "Many BMW service people will tell you that's normal...." is because the engineers tell us it's normal. But what would they know?
Old 10-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Engines should not burn or consume any oil period. If they do, this indicates a problem.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by AZ-ZBum
Engines should not burn or consume any oil period. If they do, this indicates a problem.
I'll pass that onto BMW and Porsche AG. "Hey guys, some guy on the internetz says all your engines have problems."
Old 10-11-2011, 01:04 PM
The Good Twin

Damn... I must have had 3 defective BMW engines. Maybe I should take my E39 to BMW and ask them to make it consume oil.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:39 PM
West Coast!

hey i think the rotary motors are the only good working motors in the world, we should all switch : )
Old 10-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Ruff Ryder

Well ****, I'm glad some dude on the interwebz is here to tell me I'm retarded! And this from a guy who doesn't know the difference between "your" and "you're". Ironic.

It's funny that out of my entire post that's the only response you could come up with.

I'm a certified journeyman automotive technician for over 15 years, did my entire apprenticeship in a Porsche dealership, learning from some of the highest trained techs on the planet. I completed my training there, then went onto BMW dealerships, where I earned my BMW Associate Technician certification, and now run my own independent BMW repair shop.

I've sat through countless seminars held by the fine folks at Total and Motul lubricants, and have diagnosed, repaired, and/or rebuilt more engines in Porsche's and BMW's than you've ever seen. But yes, I don't know what I'm talking about.

Who's trying to be an internet god now? Experience doesn't mean ****, especially when you have been working with the same two manufactures that entire time.

It's like saying I graduated UTI and worked at a ford dealer for 20 years, and then opened up my own independent ford service center, I know everything about cars!

BMW current standard for acceptable oil consumption is approx. 1L/1500km. I have never owned or worked on a BMW or Porsche that doesn't consume roughly 1-2L between oil services. Sometimes more. Bear in mind that BMW doesn't spec a 3000 mile drain interval, they go much longer than that.

Key word there, so BMW is admitting poor quality control and using "acceptable" amounts of oil consumption to save their asses from a lawsuit?

Just so you know, neither my buddies 88 M3 race car, nor his 8 series, nor my friends boxter, nor his gt3 or gt2 RS consume oil unless he's flogging them on the track.

The Germans believe that with the current long life oil specifications, adding some between services will in fact renew the additive package in the oil, and therefore the engines are designed to consume. That's just a fact.

Ok? So has every other manufacture, but the amount of "acceptable" oil consumption is a HELLUVA lot less then 1-2L per oil change.

But hey, I'm retarded and don't know what I'm talking about, so just ignore me.
So anyway, to the OP, before the great internet car gods start putting the fear of engine rebuilds and wallet shredding expense into your brain,

And here comes this one guy out of nowhere to tell us where all wrong and he's right and that major oil consumption is nothing to worry about! Putting his experience as a BMW and porsche mechanic to use on the nissan forum!

have a good look for an external oil leak, and if you haven't yet replaced the $3 PCV in your car, go ahead and do that now. If it's like every other ancient car on the road, you may want to order the hose from the PCV to valve cover as well. Mine was the consistency of Hoov100's brain. Hard, plastic, and rotten.

Holy crap, captain common sense to the rescue! You could also tell him to look for oil in the intake and exhaust for signs of the oil seals in the turbo's leaking.

Let's do a little math here, say the car is a DD. if he fills up the car once a weak that would mean he is putting roughly 250 miles (18 gallons) a week on his car. His car is burning 1/4 a quart of oil during that 250 miles. So that's basically burning 3Q's of oil per oil change if he doesn't add any. Considering the car only takes 3 quarts to fill it up.

If you have no leaks, and the PCV is fresh, have a look for an engine oil made by Lubro Moly. It's called MOS2 and comes in 10w40. Designed for high mileage engines, and may help you out. Just don't be alarmed by it's charcoal grey colour when you're pouring it

Or he could do a leak down test and determine if the rings are in need of being replaced, instead of trying to cover it up with some oil that's barely thicker then the 10/30 he's supposed to be using.
Take it from the horses mouth here, me, AZ-Zbum and Nismopick are hardly "internet warriors" when it comes to z cars. As much as you say "I have worked on more BMW's then you have seen" I can say they same thing about nissan motors. Which is what's being discussed.

nobody gives a **** about how long you have been shafting BMW owners at the dealer or your shop, nobody cares about how many seminars you have sat through, or how much oil consumption is acceptable for a BMW engine. Unless you have some experience with nissan engines, STFU.. It's useless nit picking and banter and is doing nothing but clogging up the thread.

And for the lulz, here's a pic of me driving one of the race cars through the del taco drive through after winning both our class and the class above ours at the race that day..

Name:  drivethru.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  60.3 KB

Last edited by hoov100; 10-11-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:45 PM

Funny posts. Really. You make an assumption that I've ONLY worked on BMWs and Porsches because those are the cars I've been factory trained on. And that I must know nothing about Nissan engines? My D21 has 418000km on it, my Z31 has been in my family since 1987, and in my care since 1992 with the exception of a few years in the middle. My brother is on his 4th Nissan, all of which I have serviced once they drop off warranty. I've been a technician for almost 20 years, what do you suppose the chances are that I've worked on pretty much every damn car made in the last 50 years? Yeah, the chances are pretty good. So quit making assumptions.

I will admit that no Nissan engine I own, or have owned, consumes a single drop of oil between changes. Either does my Honda motorcycle, or my Suzuki GSXR before that. It's a very Japanese way of engineering engines to have extremely tight tolerances. It's a European way to allow them to consume some oil. Whether that's corporate Kool-aid thats been fed to me or not, it's what has been fed to me, and it's worked for them for many years.

I must laugh about your buddy with an S14 and an M70 that don't consume oil. I'll just come out and say it, that's a lie. Either he lies to you, or you lied to me. I can tell you that both those engines are well known oil consumers.

There are many things that the OP could check for. Leaks, clogged PCV, failed turbo seal, valve seals, rings, you name it. But if the OP is asking the kinds of questions he is asking, what do you think the chances are that he has a cylinder balance tester in his tool box? Pretty slim is my guess. So why not direct the poor guy to check the very very basic stuff first? PCV valve, and look for leaks. Simple, cheap, and effective. If he does both of those, and comes back saying "Still using oil", then I would direct him to the next level of diagnostics.

Perhaps you know a bit about engines, as do I, and many others on this forum. But seriously, take a look at the OPs post, and tell me what you think his level of mechanical knowledge is. I bet it's somewhat less than mine or yours, no? Basics. We must walk before we run.

Something else to consider here. And now I'm the one who is going to draw an assumption, for better or worse. There are those of us who are farther along in life, and own old Z cars because they are cherished toys, and money is not a huge object in maintaining and repairing them. For us, a new turbo, or an engine swap or overhaul is not really an issue, and might even be fun! BUT, Z31's are worthless old shitboxes, generally speaking. I'd bet that many forum members are high school kids, poor college kids, or other young guys who wanted a cool sports car for a few hundred bucks.

Now, I don't know where in that the OP sits, but I'm guessing the prospect of overhauling an engine is not something he wants to think about. Am I wrong? Only the OP knows. So why immediately throw worst case scenarios at him? What's the point of fear mongering on the internet? If some young dude came in my shop with a minor oil consumption problem, I sure wouldn't tell him his engine is ****ed, and I certainly wouldn't jump to expensive and time consuming diag. I'd take a look for leaks, and replace the PCV ****. Simple, and might save this guy a bundle.

No matter how you slice it anyway, until this develops into a much larger problem, a litre of oil every month, is a lot cheaper than an engine rebuild.

OP, if I'm wrong, and you're some rich dude who wants to pile money into your shitty old Z, by all means yard that engine out of there and build a monster. If you're an average owner, just trying to learn some basics, look for leaks and swap the PCV valve.

Oh, and the suggestion for the Lubro Moly mos2, isn't because it's a heavier oil that will mask a problem. I suggested it because of the chemical makeup of it, and what it is designed to do. It just so happens that it only comes in 10w40.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Damn... I must have had 3 defective BMW engines. Maybe I should take my E39 to BMW and ask them to make it consume oil.
Hey, I get that you wanna gang bang the new guy with your buds and all, but I gotta call bullshit on that one, my friend. Is this an M54 or an M62 E39? Take a look in your oil bag in the trunk. Is it still the factory original bottle of oil inside? Doubt it. And that would mean it's been topped up!!! OMG!!@@@BBQWTFFFF!!!!!11111, NOT MY E39, it's PERFECT< AND USES NO OMG OIL!!!!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM

Ok..thanks for all the input guys..really appreciate it. Like I said I use to be a BMW guy until I lost my job and had to find a some what cheaper approach to performance. I know the costs associated with older cars and yes ALL of my BMW's leaked oil and my E34 540 M-sport was the worst(which I had only for about 4 months). I didnt mean to cause a huge debate about this but I just wanted to know if I should be concerned because this is my 3rd Nissan ive owned and my 1st turbo car and I have no idea how turbo cars perform or break down given high mileage. Thanks for all of your input. Ill check out the PCV valve and I think there is a leak on one side of the valve cover.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by dtmpower
Ok..thanks for all the input guys..really appreciate it. Like I said I use to be a BMW guy until I lost my job and had to find a some what cheaper approach to performance. I know the costs associated with older cars and yes ALL of my BMW's leaked oil and my E34 540 M-sport was the worst(which I had only for about 4 months). I didnt mean to cause a huge debate about this but I just wanted to know if I should be concerned because this is my 3rd Nissan ive owned and my 1st turbo car and I have no idea how turbo cars perform or break down given high mileage. Thanks for all of your input. Ill check out the PCV valve and I think there is a leak on one side of the valve cover.
E34 540i's leak BAD from valve covers, and the oil separators clog and fail, taking the vent hoses with them. But even when those are fixed, the engines will still burn some oil.

Glad I/we could help you out, and best of luck with the car.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:03 PM

Hey Hoov, I just had a look in my shop before I went home. I've got 4 BMWs, a Mini Cooper S, an XC90, a Honda Prelude, a Honda RC51, a Nissan Quest, and a Z31 in there. Think you could swing over and help me fix the non-BMWs? I've no idea what I'm doing, AND I'm pretty ****en retarded.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

The oil is going somewhere. If its not leaking, do you have smoke coming out of the exhaust? It could be rings, it could also be the turbo. I have changed the oil in a 1995 525i twice now and it hasn't burned any oil. I know this because the guy who owns it doesn't know what a dipstick is! I should go on some bimmer forum and start telling them they don't know crap, then get upset when they tell me I'm retarded!!
Old 10-11-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by evandubya
The oil is going somewhere. If its not leaking, do you have smoke coming out of the exhaust? It could be rings, it could also be the turbo. I have changed the oil in a 1995 525i twice now and it hasn't burned any oil. I know this because the guy who owns it doesn't know what a dipstick is! I should go on some bimmer forum and start telling them they don't know crap, then get upset when they tell me I'm retarded!!
Not once did I tell anyone here they don't know crap. And not once did I get upset about anything. Not even the retard comment. I've been called worse things by better ******** than hoov100.

I could save you the trouble, and just you you're ****ing retarded now, if you like?
Old 10-12-2011, 09:40 AM

raise your hand if your a homo
Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 AM
West Coast!

Niiiiiiiiice!!!!!

Quick Reply: Royal Purple aint Purple any more..