300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

NEED HELP ASAP, Dead Cylinder after tune up

Old 04-11-2008, 08:09 AM

NEED HELP ASAP, Dead Cylinder after tune up

hello this is my first post on this site as for i haven't had any problems to post here yet. I own a 1984 300zx turbo, 5sp it has about 100,xxx miles on it, i've owned it for about 2 months now. Its pretty much bone stock right now. Well yesterday i was going to do a tune up on the car as it looks like its been awhile sence its had one. I started with a new rotor, new spark plugs, new wires, and distributor cap, with much difficulty finding parts.
Well hers where the problems started:
i also wanted to take off my AC System, i first started by cutting the belt but when i started the car after that the engine seems to wobble and at high rpms and speed it causes by "bad sub frame bushing" to pulsate out of control=bad, is this because of the v setup for the belts? Also all i did was cut the belt didn't take the unit out or even discount any plugs or coolant tubes, could this be the problem?
Well not this bring me to the biggest problem i am having in the car, After replacing all my parts and putting the car back together the car runs real rough and has very little if not no throttle response, and i have to keep it in high rmps for it to even move, low RPM's= sluggish acceration, virtually no way to get up to speeds. Well i found the problem to be the 5th cylinder, as for when i start the car it runs very rough and wheni pullged the wire from the 5th cylinder nothins change in the car making be believe its that. Well i first though maybe bad spark plug but when i replaced it with the older one still works, after replacing my new parts back agian to the old ones still no change still lost 5th cylinder. This car never had the problem before i tried the tune up..
check the plug and wire and cap by grounding the spark plug to the frame, and turning the engine over, def getting spark...now when i took the spark plug out it didn;t smell at all of gas...this makes me believe that i am having a problem with fuel which is causing the missfire or dead cylinder...
Now today i am going to put some lucas injector cleaner in it to see if that fixes it i sure hope so...
Now heres my question to all of you z31 goers out there....Why would this happed expecially right after doing a tune-up? Could i have discounted anything while replacing my plugs? Could it just be a coincidence that my injector "went out" the same day as i did my tune up? do i just have wrong parts or anything?
please help don't feel like ripping appart my upper intake manifold to get to me injectors....also need the car to get to work
thanks agian for your help and interest
Dan
Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 AM

Hi, and welcome to Zdriver... you know your injectors are bown by the plugs... so check the wires on the injectors, see if it came off... also check the firing order... a bad shake could be 2 spark plug wires on the wrong plug/ cap. Good luck
Old 04-11-2008, 09:36 AM

what do you mean by saying the injetor is bown by the plug? there is a crack in the seal that goes around the base of the injector, could this lead to shorting this out? or could it lead to a bad connection? whats the best way to check the plug into the injector? without taking my intake off?
as for the 2 spark plugs when i cut the belt i hadn't even changed the plugs or wires or cap yet. And i am pretty sure the plugs are in the right area because the wires i had, had them marked, and i put them on the exact same way, the only thing i can think about is that maybe platinum plugs aren't the best for my car....Anyone have an opinion?
thanks for the quick response also
hopefully i can figure this out TODAY
thanks again
dan
Old 04-11-2008, 09:58 AM

So... the Z ran great... you cut the belt... and now it runs funny... just from cutting the belt??? Or was the tune up that made it run funny???

Added: you said that you did a tune up 1st... Did you start/ drine the z after the tune up??? After that you said that you cut the belt after the tune??? and no, there is not an injector down by the crank...

Last edited by turboZ87.300; 04-11-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:45 AM

sorry for the confusion
okay lets see wensday i cut the belt, this made the car almost wobble like i was saying. Basicaly i went to get all my parts and i found everything but the wires...well i was gonna do the tune up minus wires till they came in on thursday.. i started off by cutting the ac belt then when i was removing the wires from the cap the main power wire, fell apart.....not wanting to continue the tune without a new wire for that.....so i put it bad together and all that was done that day was cutting the belt, and my main power wire falling apart...the car ran like crap when i drove it on wensday it had that wobble and i had to keep it at higher rpms that i wanted tooo...
Thursday i got my wires and began on the job, i changed everything from wires, plugs, cap, and rotor....now and when starting the car after installing all my parts its misfires/dead cylinder # 5.....not sure if i just opened a can of worms on myself and now i have alot of problems or did i cause this by doing something wrong...
like i said i kinda have 2 questions...
1. what would make my car misfire from doing a tune-up?
2. cutting the belt, was that bad thing for the v design of the belts for the ac component and the power stearing pump?
thanks agian for the help guys, def really stuck on this one
Dan
Old 04-11-2008, 10:44 PM

Okay...
Sooooo... let me see if I got this... 1)1st you cut the belt and then started/ drove the z... after the belt was cut your z started to wobble???... 2) soooo... do to the wobble, you did a tune up??? Or 3) You cut the belt and started the tune at the same time and after that you started your z and it wobble???...

You make it sound like you did #3 (cut & tune up at same time) if so, check the wire on #5 FI... see if it came off... but if you did #1...???!!! I don't know...???!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 07:45 AM

ya sorry i did 1, i cut the belt and it caused my car to wobble. I wanted to do number 3 but i couldn't find my wires anywhere....see its kinda of a cominabtion of the 1 and 3, see thursday baught parts got the rotor, plugs, and cap....coudn't find wires anywhere had to order them...Well sence thursday was my only day off i was going to do the plugs, rotor and cap and them just changed my wires when they came in.....the problem all started when i pulled the plug off of the master power that goes to the coil pack.....this wire broke and i had to "afro-mechanic" it back together after this i didn't want to continue the tune up so i put the plugs back to the cap....this means thursday all i did was cut the belt, and break that wire and try to fix it....thursday night when i tried to drive home it started the wobble....then friday i got my wires and fished the tune up....i think the wobble and the poor throttle response are caused from 2 different things....

Well i started my car yesterday and well it ran like crap i am pretty sure it is running on 5 cyclinders not gettin fuel or air to the 5th cylinder, also when i rev my engine a little smoke come from the bottom of them engine near the back of it, and it smells like oil to me....anyone have any ideas?
i was thinking fuel pressure regulator...maybe

NEED YOUE HELP BAD GUYS
thanks
Dan