300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Goals for my Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 12:12 PM

Goals for my Z

My anniversary turbo is running worse then ever. my latest diagnosis is a bad CHTS and CHTS upper relay clip - harness thing. below is a list of repairs that need to happen in the next few weeks before i can even start having fun with my Z.

given how much i'll have to remove to get to the CHTS, if you see anything not on my list that i should do while I'm in there, please make suggestions.

Immediately
- *anything* to stop my badly leaking t-tops. it will still be rainy in portland for another month at least and my t-tops leak BAD. i'm thinking of just silicone-ing the gap where all the water comes in, but any stopgap measures you can suggest would be welcome. i don't want to pay $400 for new weatherstripping just now.
- replace CHTS and CHTS wire & upper relay clip
- new drivebelts, i have to take them off for the CHTS might as well just replace them, they started to squeel after our waterpump and thermostat job last weekend
- replace clutch fan
- new distributor hoses (i hadn't noticed till my mechanic pointed it out but the rubber on several of my hoses have holes in them)
-?? cam shafts and covers?? while i'm in there...?
- door locks. My doors don't lock and I don't even have keys to the doors (my doors came from a different Z so they're not keyed to the ignition). since the locks seem to be in-op, even when i'm in the car and manually push them locked they don't work, I'm not sure what i should do first: have keys made and then see if i need new actuators, or simply replace all the locks and ignition with a set keyed to the same key...

Soon:
- run vacuum from fpr to manifold to bypass my faulty fpr control module, possibly and probably just replace the entire fpr (i bought a new one...might as well put it on)
- fix or remove the injector cooling fan (i'd prefer to fix it)

Later:
- replace radiator

- replace or rebuild injectors

- rear diff >

Sooner or later:

- electrical work:
- just yesterday my headlights would go up and down non-stop, up and down, very lame. i need to fix this soon actually
- digital compass and g-force gauges
- rear defrost doesn't work
- cruise control doesn't work (not really something i car about, but would be good to fix)
- i want all of the digits on my climate control panel to read correctly, and figure out why it jumps from 75 to 90 degrees, possibly it's cause i can't read all the little digit wedges.

FUN STUFF to add more power, i'd like to get up to 230-250 rwhp, nothing crazy
- aftermarket exhaust, something 3" but my budget is only ~$600 for this
- some kind of boost contoller, haven't decided yet, something simply
- cold air intake? maybe one other mod to add power...

Well...I wanted a car to learn mechanics on, and I got one. some of this i plan to do myself, but some i'll just pay to have done, especially the electrical work. any help or suggestions would be welcome.

thanks guys.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:51 PM
West Coast!

these cars arent that hard to work on you just need to downloan the fsm from xenonz31 or whatever it is and whats up on that shipping of the fender flares? im still waiting on a quote for shiping to 92509 please and thank you oh and if you haven't already got a hayes manual get one they really do help
Old 04-17-2011, 05:04 PM

hey, really sorry i just didn't have time this week or weekend but i WILL get a quote for you this week, thank you for your patience.

incidentally, does anyone know where i can get a new CHTS and CHTS relay clip? i'm not seeing any CHTS online...also, I take it there's a difference between the cylinder head temperature sensor and the engine coolant temperature sensor? or are they different names for the same sensor? thanks.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:24 PM
West Coast!

i believe there was a thread on this not to long ago and i want to say you can use a different sensor from another car or the relay and i also want to say it may have been a maxima but somebody correct me if im wrong. and no worries on the quote i will wait patiently