300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

engine electrical problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 05:19 PM

engine electrical problems

ok here is my story first off the car is an 86' N/A I have owned it for 3 years and done a fair amount of suspension mods but no engine mods (just basic upkeep-plugs, wires, batt, ect.) About 4 months ago i was driving home from work and blew a coolant hose and removed the dist. to gain better access to the hose I replaced the hose and reinstalled the distributer and dialed the timing back in, done right? well sort of she fired right up and ran fine for 2 days until one morning on my way to work it started missing BAD and finally just quit (this happened about 20 miles from my house) I tried starting it just for kicks with no luck. So I popped the hood and removed my positive batt. cable on a hunch, I let it sit for about 30 sec than replaced the cable and it fired right up! So I hoped in and drove it for about a min before it started missing and quit again. This time it would not start again luckily I’m a mechanic for a heavy hauling corp. and was able to get the service truck driver to trailer it to our shop :-) I left the batt. cable off all day. still no spark so i pulled off the distributer and cleaned all connections reinstalled and she started right up only to die and refuse to start (no spark at coil) after about 10 min. after some research I determined the trigger wheel assembly was the likely cause of the trouble so I picked one up and installed a new one (making note of the dried coolant on the bottom of the old pickup sensor) after removing the distributer disassembling, cleaning and reassembling with the new trigger wheel and pickup assembly it starter right up and ran fine for a few days than the same thing again. The weird thing is every time I pull the distributer and reinstall it I get spark back for awhile but the samething always happens eventually. what is the single wire with a spade connecter for it is just grounded to the dist housing but it runs to something mounted to the fender that appears to be a condenser?

Anyways does anyone know what this could be? If it was the coil it would be more consistent right? And breaking electrical connection or removing the distributer would have no effect so IDK I’m at a total loss any suggestions would be great thanks