300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Crankshaft Timing Sprocket

Old 08-18-2003, 03:22 PM
Well, maybe one more

Location: Far away, locked up from anything interesting, almost in the dead center of the US
Have you tried a gear puller?
Old 08-18-2003, 04:57 PM

Re: Crankshaft Timing Sprocket

First call your local dealer and see if they've got a new crank sprocket in stock and how much it costs. If they don't have one on the shelf, then see how long it will take them to get one (just in case). Then proceed as follows:
1) use a pair of needle nose pliers to pull out the woodruff key.
2) spray the crank down with some aero kroil, pb blaster or wd40 (listed in order of best to worst) where the sprocket sits on it.
3) Grab a beer, go check your email, take a leak, toss your empty beer bottle into an appropriate receptacle.
4) using a blunt flat screwdriver and a hammer, tap the sprocket round first one way then the other, back and forth, little by little, with frequent squirts of one of the sprays listed above.
5) when it seems to be fairly free, get another flat screwdriver and gently pry from behind.

If it easily slides off then great - you're done. If it sticks again, spray it down again with one of the above sprays and repeat from step 2 until it finally comes off. Do NOT under any circumstances skip step 3 - this step ensures that if you screw up and chip one of the teeth on the sprocket that you will be drunk enough to miss the car when you throw the hammer at it.

If you're careful, you won't need that new crank sprocket.

When reinstalling, use some fine steel wool to polish the crank and the inside of the sprocket, then lightly coat both with a THIN coat of wheel bearing grease before slipping the sprocket onto the crank.

Don't forget to have some aspirin on hand for the next morning.

Originally posted by aceshigh009
I've been here many times, and plan on comming back even more, Thanks for all the help. Heres my latest problem. One bar left on oil pressure gauge, time to change the oil pump. Nothing new, I've done this twice before to different 300s, so not expecting anything different, I jumped right inn. All gos well untill Its time to pull off the Crankshaft timeing sprocket, I've tried just about everything that I can think of and the *@^$ thing still won't come off. If anyone out there has any ideas that I haven't thought of yet, Please throw some advice my way. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:18 PM

I didn't think to mention the (usually) obvious...

The crank bolt is out isn't it??
Old 08-19-2003, 08:31 PM
burgerflippin' bastard

Originally posted by Spot
I didn't think to mention the (usually) obvious...

The crank bolt is out isn't it??
haha!