300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

clutch and brake issues z31 NA

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 10:19 PM

clutch and brake issues z31 NA

ok so some of you know my gf has a z31 and it had an electrical issue that left it parked for over a year. now the electrical issue has been solved and the car has fired up and runs like a champ BUT. there is always a but right.

now befor i get into this im shooting in the dark here cause i have yet to personally see or drive this damn car on account of its at her dads place and lol well yeah its at her dads place. so she has been doing all this **** by herself and shes doin a good job but she freaks the hell out instead of just thinking calmly.

anyway heres the problem she gets the car running and she has a dead clutch pedal like no pressure its dead on the floor. so i tell her its either the cable or the slave cylinder (not sure if these cars are cable or hydro)

so she checks it out finds the slave cyl to be blown so she puts a new one on. She bleeds the system for like an hour till she saw no bubbles she bleeds both the master and the slave.

she hops in to drive and she turns the car on well she said when she pushes the pedal to shift the pedal shakes or shimmys and the clutch engages real low in the pedal. im thinking the pedal is loose and or adjusted wrong......

she thinks something is warped or broken cause shes dramatic lol. but the clutch was fine before it was parked and it was parked a year not driven once so i dont see how the clutch could warp or break..... and she says its not slipping.... any ideas?

Next up she says the car is really slow slower than she remembers. she even thinks that maybe the brakes are locked (easy way to check i know lol) now being that the car was parked near the beach with the e brake engaged for nearly 18 months im inclined to think the rear calipers are seized/ dragging think its safe to assume that? any other problematic areas i should get her to check? thanks for the help guys i can honestly say that the car wouldnt be running right now if it hadnt been for you guys' help in my last thread
Old 11-29-2009, 06:09 AM

ALWAYS replace the master and slave cylinders at the same time. ALWAYS. ALWAYS. ALWAYS.

I would be willing to bet the parking brake lines have frozen up with contaminants.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:27 PM

Yep, I live in MN, where everything rusts. I just had to buy my 2nd set of rear calipers because the ones Champion sold me just before they went out of business started locking up at the parking brake pivot arm. It was the cable before that. Could be either. Cars don't like to sit that long without moving things. I'm about to replace the stupid things again, just so I can use my parking brake again without them sticking. GRRRRR!!!! ****ing Champion Auto!!!