300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

Clunking Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 11:19 PM

Clunking Noise

I hear this clunking noise coming from underneath. It only happens when i release the clutch and on several occasions when i accelerate. I look underneath and found my starter hanging on by one bolt and its dear life. So i replaced the starter and noticed the flywheel has been chipped a little. I checked and replaced all fluids to their proper levels. I still continue to hear this clunking. I have good reason to believe its my transmission now that i took care of all the simple things. What part of the transmission or clutch could be causing all of this? thanks guys!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:41 AM
The Good Twin

The clunking is the very common problem of worn out CV axles and/or diff mount. Did you check those?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:00 PM

I kinda thought about that but I already replaced the cv shafts. The differential mount is okay condition but i already have the replacement for that but its not coming from the rear. I know when its the diff mount. In my 87na the mount is out and ya can clearly tell the clunking from the rear. But this is happenin in the front. Im thinkin clutch possible tranny. but not sure its pretty confusing to me.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:45 AM
The Good Twin

So did you ever replace your driveshaft? https://www.zdriver.com/forums/300zx-z31-forums-8/driveshaft-problems-30237/
Old 03-13-2010, 05:42 PM

NOt yet still waiting for that to come in. The driveshaft should arrive here any day now. I was about to tell you that i believe that it was going to be possibly the driveshaft but i wouldnt think that it would make such a loud clunking noise. I did do a series of driving tests so i could better identify this problem. The clunking sounds as if there is something loose underneath near or in the transmission. Ive narrowed it down to that.

Due to my inspection i did happen to find my front sway bar driver side endlink loose and a passenger side ball joint on its way out. So i did correct the endlink and im awaiting for the ball joints to arrive so i can do both and not just one. but simple as it sounds that was not it when i took her out for a drive. I pray its the driveshaft though. But i find it weird and hard to believe that the driveshaft could possibly make that sound. I understand the vibration but not the clunking noise. Any thoughts?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:50 PM
The Good Twin

http://www.automedia.com/U_Joints_-_...es20010201uj/1

How do you know when it's time to replace U-joints? The telltale signs are a "clunk" in the driveline when you engage the clutch or move the shifter from Park to Drive with an automatic. That "clunk" usually indicates one of two problems: worn U-joints or too much pinion gear lash in the rear end. It's fairly easy to determine between the two by grabbing the driveshaft and trying to rotate it back and forth. If the pinion yoke has a lot of rotation, it's probably gear lash. If the driveshaft has play and rotates, it's probably worn U-joints.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:05 PM

That's very informative! THANKS NISMO!!!! Big question is why do i second guess myself?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:11 AM

If your driveshaft takes car of it, then great. If not, i had a really bad clunking noise on acceleration. The tranny, diff, cv's and driveshaft were all good. I had to replace the sub-frame bushings. Kind of a tedious project but can be done in a few hours. Thats after all the others check out first. Its the hardest to replace because you take all the rear end off.

Heres what i would get---- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/84-89...Q5fAccessories -----

If you go with poly then make sure you use excessive lube, they like to squeak.

Last edited by z31rider; 03-16-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:07 PM

Well this is the condition at this point. Ball joints need to be replaced here soon (no problem). Both CV shafts are replaced (great). Differential inspected (no problem looks good). Already have rear crossmember bushings (hesitating to do them cuz ya are right its a pain in the ****! Plus Im waiting for Project Z-Ressurection to kick off which will be here soon and involves a TOTAL Z-CAR REBUILD ) Tranny ( not good but need attention due to synchronizer is going out into 3rd gear). I really believe its my driveshaft and u-joint. Crappy thing is im still waiting on that shaft. Should be here now! For some odd reason i always 2nd guess myself. But the good thing is i can come to my heavenly ZDriver forum and recieve reassurance on my findings or thoughts on my troubleshooting. What would i do without Zdriver?
Old 03-17-2010, 09:34 AM
The Good Twin

Word. ZDriver is a good place.