300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

86NA starts then dies

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:09 PM

here's the issue now you guys, stumbling upon acceleration. we did the ecu diagnostics and that came up with the charging system, the creature features come on and off under high rpms then cut off when in low. idles perfect in neutral but when you go to drive it, it wants to die. going to get an ecu this weekend, in the meantime, here's the video.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:24 PM

Oh my

You don't have a crossed plug wire by chance? How old are the plug wires?Or burned valve? Have you tried a compression test in each cylinder? Have to listen again. Not hitting on 6. Still need to get that code 21 worked out but that sounds like something wrong with ing system, but make sure them plug wires are going to the right plugs. If 2 are crossed it will run but sound a lot like yours. That cracking and popping out of the exhaust is fireing problem. Check all your grounds too your coil needs the power to fire them plugs and a dead battery just wont cut it. Take care of your charging problem and if that don't help look how the wires are set.

Last edited by Sab321; 10-24-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Sab321
You don't have a crossed plug wire by chance? How old are the plug wires?Or burned valve? Have you tried a'll compression test in each cylinder? Have to listen again. Not hitting on 6. Still need to get that code 21 worked out but that sounds like something wrong with ing system, but make sure them plug wires are going to the right plugs. If 2 are crossed it will run but sound a lot like yours. That cracking and popping out of the exhaust is fireing problem. Check all your grounds too your coil needs the power to fire them plugs and a dead battery just wont cut it. Take care of your charging problem and if that don't help look how the wires are set.
He changed the wires and plugs with both NGK last summer. Burned valve? how? It ran fine before all this junk happened. Not sure if I can get to the car today but I'll check the plugs and do another diagnostic when I can. I feel like I'm not doing it right cause it didn't throw any code.
Old 10-25-2013, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by spencity88
He changed the wires and plugs with both NGK last summer. Burned valve? how? It ran fine before all this junk happened. Not sure if I can get to the car today but I'll check the plugs and do another diagnostic when I can. I feel like I'm not doing it right cause it didn't throw any code.
Yeah the other ECU had that 21 code, check the underside of the distributor cap too that and the rotor may be worn out. Most likely don't have a burn valve just has the same sound in the exhaust as if you had one. That when the cylinder fires and the explosion gets pass the valve and that power goes right out the exhaust. The same sound happens on a miss fire. Everything happens one time in a well running engine, that BAP BAP BAP CRACK BAP CRACKING is firing of the plugs at the wrong times. When the plug fires in the cylinder both valves are closed exploding the gas and air mixture and pushing the piston down, if the charge of spark arrives to soon or to late when both valves in a particular cylinder are not totally closed that power goes right out of the exhaust or up your intake. Re check all your tuning parts and go though what the shop manual says about code 21 on Pg. 92 and 93 in the section EF & EC ( Engine Fuel & Emission Control System ) Has sort of check list PATH doesn't look to be too hard. Did you try his ECU in your car? After going though code 21 put his back and see what happens even if when your done it runs good so you don't spend money on another ECU.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Sab321
Yeah the other ECU had that 21 code, check the underside of the distributor cap too that and the rotor may be worn out. Most likely don't have a burn valve just has the same sound in the exhaust as if you had one. That when the cylinder fires and the explosion gets pass the valve and that power goes right out the exhaust. The same sound happens on a miss fire. Everything happens one time in a well running engine, that BAP BAP BAP CRACK BAP CRACKING is firing of the plugs at the wrong times. When the plug fires in the cylinder both valves are closed exploding the gas and air mixture and pushing the piston down, if the charge of spark arrives to soon or to late when both valves in a particular cylinder are not totally closed that power goes right out of the exhaust or up your intake. Re check all your tuning parts and go though what the shop manual says about code 21 on Pg. 92 and 93 in the section EF & EC ( Engine Fuel & Emission Control System ) Has sort of check list PATH doesn't look to be too hard. Did you try his ECU in your car? After going though code 21 put his back and see what happens even if when your done it runs good so you don't spend money on another ECU.
That's my ECU in his car, no codes were thrown just the charging system. Any thoughts on the reason the lights come on after you rev the car up? bad alternator? i'll see what we can get into. It's been too cold to be outside for too long i think my brain is freezing
Old 10-25-2013, 01:46 PM

The alt light may be coming on and off due to a bad or loose ground wire, check all of them, the little ones too that ground the body. Or the reg in Alt bad, you may have fryed a ground out or fuseable link. Even if the ground look good clean them off with sandpaper or wire brush.

Last edited by Sab321; 10-25-2013 at 01:51 PM.