300ZX (Z31) Forums Dedicated to 84-89 ZCars otherwize known as the Z31's

1984 Turbo MAF Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 04:20 PM

1984 Turbo MAF Problems

So I have a 1984 50th AE and I recently started having a problem with the MAF sensor. I immediately bought a new MAF sensor and replaced it. I started her up and nothing changed. So these are her symptoms. When the car is started with the MAF sensor plugged in it will idle around 400-800 RPMs jumping around that range. As soon as I unplug the MAF sensor she will idle normal on the stock maps, but obviously I can't really drive on stock maps. I'm thinking it's electrical, but I can't figure out what is could be for sure. Any help on what to test would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:21 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

first off why do you think the maf is giving you problem? they are fairly simple and foolproof unless someone stuck a screwdriver in there. also a new one didn't do a thing for you. it is called wasting money on an idea without getting any information to confirm. download the fsm from xenon for a start so you have something to refer to. Get the fuel pressure, check the timing, check the vacuum. here is somethings to do:
Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion.

after you have some test results try another post with some clear data on what you found.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by rogerz
first off why do you think the maf is giving you problem? they are fairly simple and foolproof unless someone stuck a screwdriver in there. also a new one didn't do a thing for you. it is called wasting money on an idea without getting any information to confirm. download the fsm from xenon for a start so you have something to refer to. Get the fuel pressure, check the timing, check the vacuum. here is somethings to do:
Get your battery load tested. Be sure you have clean, tight corrosion free terminals on both ends of your battery cables. Be sure the ground (negative) cable goes to a bolt into the frame before going to the starter. grounding through the starter is not a reliable connection. Z's don't like low voltage. causes the electronics to act funny. it is possible to have enough amps to crank but not enough voltage to run the electronics. If you have one size fit all cheapo clamp on terminals they are a problem waiting to happen.

Clean the connectors for the maf or afm, ecu and tps. Deoxit by CAIG is probably the best connector cleaner on the market. spray with CorrosionX after cleaning and before putting together this will help prevent any further corrosion.

after you have some test results try another post with some clear data on what you found.
Thanks for the info, I didn't immediately think it was the MAf, but I have a friend with the same car and he was having the same problems and it was because of a MAF problem. I am glad I bought the new MAF though because the old one's screens where all messed up, granted that wouldn't screw it up on readings but it was something I thought was a good fix. I do have a feeling it may be because of battery issues because about a week after these problems started the battery died. I will do some more work on it this week and see what happens.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:18 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

screens have absolutely nothing to do with maf operation. even if they are clogged up the maf still tells the ecu how much air is going to the engine and it adjusts the fuel to suit. the maf measures the air flow thru it and doesn't care that it isn't getting full flow. when you throw parts at a problem because someone else had a problem you are throwing money away.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:42 PM

is it stock ,as far as the air filter, those things were a joke on turbos, way to resritictive . but not likely your idle prob. swabbed out the throttle plate lately ?
is it flashing any codes on the ECU ? if so you really need a breakout box and the service manual, multi meter ,in other words the dealer service.