280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 01:47 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Another update....I got the alternator, a/c compressor, power steering, all hooked up. Also just reinstalled the heater hoses. Going to get the radiator, and thermostat and such reinstalled tomorrow. Will try to take pics, and post them. I am getting there. This coming week, I will be doing more troubleshooting with my fuel problem. I will keep you all posted.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:55 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Update...worked on it today. And got everything pretty much hooked up. I even bypassed the coolant lines going to the throttle body. Mainly because they were a pain in the **** to hook up. I used some old PCV valves I had. And plugged them with those. Then I put RTV to seal the end of the PCV valves. Seems to be working well. And yes it is temporary. Until I got some proper plugs to seal the holes.

Anyway, still have the fuel dumping problem. Going to troubleshoot tomorrow. Now that I have everything hooked up. My Z cranks nice and healthy. And that is a good sign. So off to figuring out the rest tomorrow. Any help or tips, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Question I really need help, can't get it to start!

Okay guys I really need your help. It will only run on starting fluid for a few seconds then die. And wont restart at all. Even after putting more fluid in. The only way I can get it to run for a few more seconds is take the spark plugs out. Crank the engine without them. Put another set back in. Put fresh starting fluid back in. And will run for another few seconds.

I decided to plug the fuel pump back in. And still can't get it to start. I am really puzzled. Any help on this, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Have you check your plugs to make sure their just fine?
Old 11-05-2010, 07:03 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ Yeah they are good. I even checked the gap on them. I have 2 sets of plugs. I swap them, after it runs for a few seconds. Because if I don't it wont restart, until I swap the plugs. After cranking the engine without them in. And of course I put starting fluid in, after the plug swap.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I really wish I knew somebody around here. That knows about these cars. I am the only one in my family, that owns Z's. And knows some things about them. But this is beyond me. I am really stumped.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

I know a lot about Zs but this one has me stumped. I can only think of is that your flooding the motor.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:54 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Yeah me too. I decided, I am going to test all the sensors tomorrow. According to the manual. Then hopefully, I will find one of them bad. Also I unplugged the ECU, and plugged it back in to reset it. No difference. I even swapped the AFM, and TPS, no difference either. This really is a major stumper.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:21 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Well wonderful news. It was something I have been fearing since the beginning. My friend came over with a neighbor, to help me with my Z. Well he did a few things, and did the finger in the hole trick. And he said, there was no compression. So they left, and came back with a compression tester. And sure enough, practically zero. So he is sure my timing is off one tooth. Which would explain why it would run for a few seconds, then shut down.

So all in all, I have to take the front end apart again. Something I wasn't looking forward to. Anyway, I should have it apart by Monday night. Then my brother was going to swing by after work. And help me set the chain and such. Then I will put it back together. And should have it running by the following weekend. I'll keep you all posted.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:18 AM

At least you found the issue! I was quite stumped myself.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Before you tear it down. did you adjust your valves??? having the valves adjusted way out can do the same thing! and its a much quicker fix too
Old 11-08-2010, 12:32 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ No I haven't, but I am sure they are fine. I really don't have the tools to adjust them anyway. Still working on basic tools. Trying to build my equipment up. But right now, I have to be careful. I may think about checking them. But I will need guidance on that.

But it may be quite possible, that the cam gear moved on me. When I was fighting with the tensioner, and chain before. So I will just take it apart anyway. Since it is pretty easy. And I will get better at it. I almost have the cover off already. I need less than 2 hours, and the timing chain and such, will be exposed. I'll keep you all posted, thanks for all the input, and comments.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:37 AM
Intrawebz Wizard

Well checking both wouldn't hurt. and feelergauges are all you need really to adjust the valves. and their what $8?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:57 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay, my brother is coming over this evening to help me out. I will take your advice Blue, and check the valves also. He is bringing a feeler gauge, and doing his Celica, as well as my Z. Should have my timing set, and such. Then starting tomorrow, I can put it back together. And my Z should run like a champ after that. I will keep you all posted. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Nice! lets hope all goes well!
Old 11-09-2010, 08:41 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

My Z is alive!

Yes, it happened this afternoon. Took only a few seconds, and he fired right up! It was running an erratic idle for a bit. Then after running for a half hour or so. It started to smooth out. Still have some lifter noise, when revving it up. So I think it is because of the fuel in the oil. I will just dump out the oil, when I get a chance. And then if it still doesn't stop it. I will adjust the valves.

Sounds pretty sick, with a straight header and collector pipe. Just need to do some dialing in, and should be on my way. Now I have little things to attend to, and such. Will keep you all posted. And I will take some more pictures, when I get a chance. Again, thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:45 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Another thing I wanted to mention. Because it is not in the manual. From the 1 on the camshaft gear. Count 22 chain links to the mark on the crankshaft gear. My brother and I, were having a difficult time trying to time the engine. Luckily I had another engine lying around. That was still in time. So we looked at it, and copied from it. And it worked like a charm. I am going to write the 22 chain link part in my manual. And I figured I would share with all of you. To help you out in the future.

Oh, and yes I was off a tooth on the timing. But not anymore.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:51 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Worked on the Z some more today. I hooked the rest of the exhaust back up. Though it was nice to hear it with a straight header, and collector pipe. Oh well, it is much quieter now, because of the mile long muffler. lol The Z has a quiet zoom sound. But that will change, once I have a Magnaflow put on.

Man was that a pain to get the cat convertor back on. I had to take the rear of the exhaust off the hangers. And then Macgyver another bolt to work. And turn the hanger around to get the end of the exhaust hooked up, and off the ground. I am sore everywhere. lol

But at least that is done. Also I put insurance back on it. And I also got a 30 day permit for it. So I can drive it around, and work the bugs out. It so awesome to drive a Z again. I missed it terribly.

I also dumped out the oil, because of quite a bit of fuel in it. From the timing being off. And also put in a quart of Lucas oil treatment (great stuff), with Castrol motor oil. Anyway, I still do think I need to adjust my valves. So I will try to that this weekend. When my Z is at my parents house.

Saturday, I am bringing my Z to my parents house. And my brother is going to help me with putting new ball joints on it. Also I taking the front struts and springs off my '81. And they are Tokicos I am pretty sure. And mount those on my slicktop for now. Because front ones are quite pricey. Also my rear shocks are still pretty good. My Z sits a little bit higher in the back. Which I am happy, I don't have to replace those right now.

Tomorrow...I have other little things to finish on my Z. And get all my electrical and such working. I am going to try and run the blower fan off a switch. And get that working. So I have heat for the winter. Also other little things to do, here and there. I will try to take some pics tomorrow. I couldn't today, spent too much time on the exhaust.
Old 11-16-2010, 05:40 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here are a couple new pics I took today. More to come, as I slowly fix this Z up. Oh, and yes the Firebird does move under her own power. Only way I could get my Z out.
Name:  1116001425a.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  85.9 KB
Name:  1116001425.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  82.2 KB
Old 12-03-2010, 02:22 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Okay...more recent pics to see and enjoy.
Name:  1121001654.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  77.2 KB
Name:  1121001654a.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  69.6 KB
Name:  1121001654b.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  65.9 KB
Name:  1121001655.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  45.0 KB
Name:  1121001655a.jpg
Views: 22
Size:  44.2 KB
Name:  1121001656.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  63.9 KB
Name:  1121001656a.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  65.3 KB
Name:  1121001656b.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  43.9 KB

These were taken at my brother's friend's place, on November 21st: Sunday. His friend is currently fixing up a 1980 Toyota Celica GTS. It is pretty clean, and he got it for a steal.

Oh, yeah these were taken before I started painting the hood, and vents. Feel free to comment, and thanks.

Also, these were taken with my cell phone. Not too bad I guess eh? It is a 3 megapixel.

Last edited by WildmaN; 12-03-2010 at 02:37 AM. Reason: Needed to add something.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:34 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here is the Z, while I was painting the hood flat black. And a couple of interior shots. Much more to come. Stay tuned.
Name:  1123001654.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  45.6 KB
Name:  1123001703.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  74.8 KB
Name:  1202001427a.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  40.0 KB
Name:  1202001427.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  48.3 KB

Believe me....The interior is far from done. And that pic was taken before I did more work inside. As you know...I am converting my interior to black. Just taking my time. I will take some more pics and post here. You can bet on it.

Oh, can't go wrong with the Haynes Workshop Manual. lol
Old 12-03-2010, 08:56 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Here a few pics of my interior, with new black leather shift boot. And also cleaned up a little inside. For some reason, the pics didn't turn out too well. Oh well, enjoy, and still more to come.
Name:  1203001624.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  48.8 KB
Name:  1203001628.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  41.7 KB
Name:  1203001624a.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  37.7 KB
Name:  1203001628a.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  46.6 KB
Old 12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
Primer Grey FTW!

hey my friend, can you give me any tips on how to mount the wing?
Old 12-04-2010, 01:42 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by evandubya
hey my friend, can you give me any tips on how to mount the wing?
Well...it will be hard to explain. But I will give it my best.

First...you want to mock mount it. And see where it sits on your car. Then you get out the measuring tape. For the holes, that you need to drill. I don't really remember what size bit to use. But if you get a bit a little smaller than the bolts. You should be fine. I would also suggest. Getting drill bits, made to go through metal. They aren't too pricey. And will make the job a little easier.

I kind of eye balled a lot of my holes to drill. Also it would be good to maybe get a punch. To get the hole started. I am so crude, and thrifty. That I use a machine screw to start holes. It works, but sometime I would like to get a punch set. lol

I don't know what else I can really tell you. It really isn't that difficult.

Now the other thing I want to point out. Is, make sure the wing is flush with the body. It is kind of hard to explain. But the back of the wing, will pretty much ride on the top part of the quarter panel. Where the seam is, when it starts to go downward. Right above the tail lights. And you drill the holes in your hatch not the body of the car. Try to study my pictures I posted. It should help you, and give you a better idea. On how the wing mounts.

If I think of anything else. Or if you need more pointers. I will do what I can. Hope that helps you man. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:28 AM
Primer Grey FTW!

ok, I pretty much had the right idea, I'm thinking it would make it really easy if I make an extra set of bolts in my lathe that have a point instead of a head, screw them in and get the wing where I want it then tap the sides of the wing then I'll have my center points. Thanks for the help I'll post some pics when I'm done.

Quick Reply: WildmaN's 1982 280zx, Transformers: Decepticon "Wreckless" conversion