280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

What would I be getting into?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 02:09 PM

What would I be getting into?

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask. If it is, please delete.

I've been a fan of the 280, 240, and 300zx (after that, not so much), but anyway, I recently found a 1983 280zx turbo 5 speed available locally. Little rust, cracked dash, and what is described as a vacuum problem (occasionally dies, but runs fine once it gets going).

Anyway, the price doesn't seem terrible ($2500) for the condition of the car and could be a nice winter project. However, my wife is worried that this car will be a money pit. She might be right. Asking you guys (who I'm assuming are experts) is this car going to prove my wife right or wrong? I know thats not really a fair question to ask on forums, but since I'm assuming many of you guys have done something similar, am I going to be spending hundreds of dollars on the little stuff, or is this an affordable car to garage restore?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:19 PM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

It's only a money pit if it has issues... without a visible inspection, it's anyone's guess if it's showroom quality or scrapper quality. And the cost of fixing many problems also depends on your mechanical skill level.

We have a https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-...pection-16386/ thread for potential buyers.

$2500 is a fairly decent price for a drivable 280zxt, but many people have been able to buy 280zxt's for $300 to $1000 and drive them for thousands of miles with only the cost of maintenance (I've never spent more than $500 on any of the 10 Z's / ZX's / Turbos that I've owned).

Anyway, do a deep checkover, and let us know what you find.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:22 PM

Thank you very much for the link, I will pour over that info tonight!
Old 09-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

If you are willing to wrench on it they are relatively cheap cars. Rust is THE issue with an S130 (well I don't live in Arizona....) - the rest of the stuff most people can figure out if they are willing to roll up their sleaves. Great car to learn on - just ask me
Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

if you are a pretty good wrench then the s130 is fairly bulletproof. You probably need to put maybe $500 bucks into the suspension. tie rod ends, ball joints, poly bushings, shocks. After that if the rust is not bad you got a good ride.
Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM

I am no expert but with the help of the previous posters (NismoPick and FricFrac the most) I am doing a full rebuild on the engine and including tools, as I found out I needed much more than I had. I will be sitting around $1900 including the internals, boring, and balancing the rotating assembly. I am waiting on word back from the shop about the condition of the head but I don't think I will be much more over.

Of course for $1800 minus shipping you could just buy the long block L28 from DatsunPartsLLC.com but I wanted to learn the engine and I'll tell you what, these guys have helped save some of my sanity.

What I told my wife, it isn't allways the amount of money you put into the car it's how much you love the car and what you want out of it. I am sure there are guys on here that have put over 10K in their Z over the years.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:05 PM

How does the s130 fair as far as electrical issues go? I haven't seen many browsing these forums, but to me, that would be the worst as far as tracking things down goes. I'll keep you guys in the loop on the purchase. Especially if I pull the trigger on this one. I'm in the midwest, I don't see any 280zxs for under $1k, regardless of condition, but knowing that they're out there, I might hold off and search a little more for one.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:19 PM

I think it depends on the issue, there are harnesses out there for $150. I have had 3 z's (1987 300zx, 1990 300zx, 1982 280zx) so far the only electrical issues I have ran into was fuse, bad ground, and relay related.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
The Good Twin

Cheap Z's are relative to availability and location... Here in the West, there are still quite a few. In Canada and back East, they are more rare and pricey.

The 280ZX's are notorious for corroded EFI sensor connectors, causing rough idle rpms and lack of power. Also the 280zxt's have notorious loose ECU pins. All of those things have been discussed in detail on our forum.
Old 09-04-2012, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The 280ZX's are notorious for corroded EFI sensor connectors.
When I pulled mine out all I could say was WTF is this crap?!?! just about every connector is getting replaced.

Last edited by Twiggs280zx; 09-04-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by mrbuddylee
How does the s130 fair as far as electrical issues go? I haven't seen many browsing these forums, but to me, that would be the worst as far as tracking things down goes. I'll keep you guys in the loop on the purchase. Especially if I pull the trigger on this one. I'm in the midwest, I don't see any 280zxs for under $1k, regardless of condition, but knowing that they're out there, I might hold off and search a little more for one.
The connectors are the main issue being 30+ years old. I sell a kit that replaces the issue connectors including the hard to find AFM and TPS connector. That resolves a lot of electrical issues. Replacing the battery cables is fairly cheap and the ground can get rid of a lot of electrical problems. Run an extra ground from the negative battery terminal to the ECU then from the ECU to the intake plenum (where most of the sensors are or nearby). Other than that the ECU is pretty hardy and there are lots of spares available. The FSM for the car is free to download and will resolve 99% of the issues you'll ever run across. The forum is for the other 0.999%