280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

What are the known problems when it's seriously cold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 09:08 AM

Question What are the known problems when it's seriously cold?

During the deep freeze we experienced last week I had an odd problem with '83 2+2. For some reason the front breaks locked up on me as I was going down the road.

I was driving very slow due to ice on the road and car decelerated and stopped. my back tires couldn't get enough traction to push the car. The friendly LEO's tried to help me get the car moving. Best cops I've ever met. They tried to push, threw salt and sand under the rear tires. Great guys. We got the car to move about fifty yards and it stopped again. A local saw what was going on and stepped out to let us know that my right front tire wasn't turning at all.

The LEO called a tow truck in for me and he picked up the front end and pulled me into a supermarket parking lot. (No charge! I really do like the town I live in.)

So now that things have thawed out I went up there to asses the problem and couldn't find one. The car drove home smoothly and with no issues.

So... Is this a known problem when the temps dip into sub zero or is this just some weird thing my car did to keep me from driving to work?

What other problems have you folks seen? I know we have members from areas that make Arkansas look tropical most of the year - what kind of things have you experienced in extreme cold?
Old 01-11-2014, 10:28 AM
Big Poppa

when its really cold out grease can actually freeze!! if your calliper sliders have grease instead of silicon lube they will freeze in whichever position, usually closed. also wheel bearing grease can freeze but being that you were driving it should have been warm and not had the chance. grease collects moisture in little pockets and even a little below freezing can cause issues. id just disassemble and service the bearings and brake sliders and you should be good to go!!
Old 01-11-2014, 12:43 PM

Well... I've replaced the left front rotor and pads. The bearing grease looked new. I took it out and test drove it after that and got things hot so I'll have to wait on the passenger side.

The old pads looked fine. They had a lot of life left in them. When I spun the wheel prior to removing it I could tell it was catching a little once per rotation. (thus the rotor replacement)

Now it pulls to the left when I break hard - I expect that will disappear when I finish with the right side.

After that... I think I'll flush the break system and replace the fluid. Who knows how old it is.

Two odd things mine does when cold (not break related) are:
Fuel gauge reads empty until the car gets warm.
Fan *** is very hard to turn until it warms up.