280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

What to keep in stock for a proper z garage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 02:25 PM

What to keep in stock for a proper z garage?

Well my 1980 project is comeing closer to finish got some rust repair in the rear and finishing touches.

Now I own a 80 280 zx a 72 240 and looking into a 83 zxt. My z broker so to speak.

Has around 150 engine/transmissions n thousands of z parts. Hes getting a lil rough health wise so if im going to keep my beloved zs best get buying him out.

He explained 2.8 rebuilds are very nasty due to the geometry between the cam gear and the crank more than .02 head clean-up risk wrecking the motor. More commen improper valve jobs can kill the head and pistons.

Im a cnc machinist so I can understand what hes saying but is it worth keeping 4 or 5 blocks n transmissions around?

Are the front end steering suspension parts still orderable? Lil worried I joined the z club a lil late anyone know if z's are a growing collection or is it just the 70 yr old original owners finally draggin them out of there storage graves.

Like to know where to go with this another 10 yrs really how many will be left?

Lastly is it really worth owning a turbo. He explained to me 3 things

1. 280 zxt's turbos wount make it to 80 k
2. Never own a 84 to 86 and 91 to the end of 300zx's v-6 motors were junk
3. Any digital interior should make you run far far away. Un repairable.

Guy knows alot but I like to confer with everyone see whats opinon and fact to make an sound decision on what cars im buying from him and what parts I truely must have in stock to keep my z around for at least 10 - 15 years thank you all
Old 02-03-2011, 02:54 PM

Lesnocker,
I will try and answer #1 for you. I bought a 82 turbo motor to swap into my 78 280z, I thought at first just to get a valve job, and swap in to my car, but I decided with 172000 miles on the donor motor. I should rebuild the whole motor, upon taking it to the machine shop they said the motor was in great shape. He asked, why are you rebuilding this motor?

Obviously, I had already tore everything apart, so the motor got the cylinders honed, polishing of the crank. and a valve job. I replaced main and rod bearings, and new piston rings, and timing chain kit. I am still in the process of installing the motor. Hopefully mid February to have running. Hope that helps you out some.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 PM

Hey any input is great on this!! I was talking to some nissan freaks around town my Broker well hes got tottal 116 Datsuns from a proto type 68 240 Yes build date 3 /68 as well as scca race cars and former dealership stocks. He wants 220,000 k for the parts and 120,000 for a 8000 sq ft "former dealership" 6 service bays . The cars he wants 100k less than a grand a peice. Was thinking of starting a performance/stereo/tire shop. I just want to go through actully what we need and whats just garbage. lol anyone want and original nissan o.e.m digital cluster new in the 1982 box he wants 3600.00 got 8. Bit lost on reality but just seeing what owners thoughts on what he is saying before I go into deals. Thanks again hate to buy lot of crap ill never sell or use!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:18 PM

all i know the dude is a hermit and a loner. He drops its to the dumpster with everything so if I had the cash id buy it all.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:01 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

First of all, the Z motor's are not junk. The thing with the 300zx's '90-'96. Were just high maintenance. But it wasn't the motors, more other little things. As for Turbo 280zx's going 80k. Honestly that is a crock of crap. These L28 motor's are tough as nails. The weak part are the cylinder heads. And that's only if you get them too hot. Otherwise, they are a great and dependable cheap sports car. They can go 300k and beyond in miles. And still have the internals in tact. It is all in how you take care of them, and maintain them.

As for parts, it is good to have lots around. I have quite a collection, just getting rid of extra parts. As for these Z's being around in 10 years. I am pretty sure they will be, they made a ton of them. Over 800k of the 280zx models around the world. And over 300k in the U.S. alone. So they are still quite plentiful. And you still can get a lot of parts for them.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Grumpy & Helpful

that guy is just an old grouch. the l28 is about as bulletproof an engine as you can find. I have an 86T with 185K on it and gave an 85T with 235 on it to my son. both still run strong. True the turbos on a z32 start getting a little frail above 120 K but up til then they run like the proverbial striped ape.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 PM

Well yes ANY straight 6 is a bullet proof 300k beasty. But I was um 10 in 1988 and i do remeber 2.2 mitsu turbo bombs Or the Ford "cough" meant mazda turbos. Even subaru turbos these cars lasted as long as a 85 sunbird . I did not know if datsun was affected with the same issues being a reagan era turbo. Im glad they are not as I said these were opinions I need to know. He has a 26000 mi think its a 89 0r 90 300zx $5000.00 has 94 inspection sticks though. do belive these were twin turbo? Did say its a 16 hr job to get into replaceing a turbo how buried they are.

And yes dude is a nasty guy if it dont got webbers it aint a datsun. "Dealership owner" 83 must of been bad LOL
Old 02-03-2011, 05:29 PM

Oh n wild man I owned a VERY VERY rare 1990 ford probe yuck but hey thought it was neat. 3.0 vulcan v-6 5 speed all except a hand full were auto's.

I compleatly went over the body new paint interior then I blew a ball joint.
Ford, pepboys,napa,autozone, every junk yard in the tri-state

Dis-continued we crush anything older than 99...took it to a shop dude was im sorry um Its your choice on what u do with the car I cant help you. " A-arm and lower ball joint is one part" So I junked a perfectly fine car Over a ball joint.
That and I do belive me n this dude are whats left for them in the Pittsburgh area I just dont want that again.

GO STEELERS
Old 02-03-2011, 05:38 PM

Ill post some picks of a few were makeing our "ellenor" me n the misses sold our corvette and I sold off my 03 fat boy. So were going for it. HEY FORGOT!!! Dude said crazy **** today bout the turbo auto will eat the manual alive???
Old 02-03-2011, 06:04 PM
Über User

OK I'm not reading anymore than the first post... cause I don't trust anyone elses input anyways. haha.

The ONLY problem with "machining" the head is if you maching the top of it where the cam towers mount, then you need shims. You can stack as many as you like, so it isn't a big deal as long as they line up straight.

EVERYONE is starting to collect these cars, kids and adults that had them when they were new, they really are growing these past 5 years really. Especially with all the motor swap options it is CRAZY.

The turbo motors are built the same way as the non turbo and ran 6psi. It's not a big deal, they last a long time, but are easy to rebuild. Infact, everything about EVERY L motor is easy to rebuild. Look at my thread, I rebuilt my turbo motor... it was fun and took 2 hours of total work time.

There isn't much difference in the 84-89 models, but some have better trannies, they do a different turbo somewhere in there and run different PSI's. But I'm not good with those so screw it.

the 90-96 motors were similar, but 96 is crap since it is OBDII and the early motors have crap injectors. the 90 has a crap PTU. But all those are fixable, no differences in the motors themselves.

the digital dashes aren't usually repairable, but replaceable with digital or analogue, so no reason to cry over it.

This guy is obviously way to eccentric and anything he says though some valuable, should be taken worth the grain of salt... or however that dumbass saying goes.

and the only car I know of that runs a faster 1/4 mile time stock for stock are foxbodies I believe...
Old 02-03-2011, 08:53 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

^ "Should be taken with a grain of salt" And +1 on the post man.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Hey thanks alot for the input!!! As I said just remeber growing up the smokeing car on the side of the road usually had "Turbo" written on it.
They make me cringe in a way....Least I know ill be safe going turbo in the future. Bought another 83 n/a blown motor for 500.00 this one got the t-tops so a must!!!
And 3 engine trannys for 200.00 a pop. and some hard to find 240 parts for my next project.
Talked to the dude its all going to be going on E-bay so once I get his account name ill post it Got brand new turbo wheels still in orig boxes never had rubber mounted.