280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Tb/tps

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2015, 05:42 PM

Tb/tps

Alright gents, the work continues, and never ends. The car is a 1983 280zx turbo, and the previous owner did the z31 ECU swap on it. A lot of the issues that the car had have been easily answered, or fairly common, but i'm not so sure about this one. The throttle body TPS bolts were broken off, and stuck in the throttle body. I'm not sure how he managed this, but they are stuck in there to the point of irreversible. So the TPS is held in by coated copper wire chords tied around the throttle body, yup, that's where this cars at. Unfortunately this still leaves the TPS loose, which i'm thinking occasionally causes the sensor to read incorrectly, which then causes my car to run rich, or backfire. Not positive, could be the CHTS which is also on its way. But since I noticed a very common thing to do with the TB is to change it to the 60mm 240sx TB, I went ahead and picked one up, it appears to be the bottom cooled version, which I don't think will be an issue (although if anyone had pics of their bottom cooled setup I wouldn't complain). The issue I see is the TPS that's in the car right now, i'm not quite sure if it's the 280zx version, I'm thinking it might be the z31 TPS, but in the guide of the ECU swap it didn't look like that was part of it. The TPS bolts don't match up with the holes on the TPS. The other thing is I thought the 240sx TPS was a direct plug in to the 280 set up, but the pins are the other way on the one in the car. So...I guess what that giant wall of text is for, can anyone confirm if this is the 280zx TPS or not? and does anyone have pics of a bottom cooled 240sx TB?

Thanks Guys!
Attached Thumbnails Tb/tps-tps-1.jpg   Tb/tps-tps-2.jpg   Tb/tps-tps-3.jpg  
Old 04-11-2015, 10:50 PM
The Good Twin

Google images mang... quick and easy. 280zx left, 240sx right.

Old 04-12-2015, 10:01 AM

Well then...I searched the forums, searched the swaps, read a lot...and yet neglected to use the most useful tool, the google...I am not an intelligent man. The one that is currently in there is most certainly not a 280zx TPS then, awesome opossum.

Also I've never met anyone else who says mang, i'm not alone!

Thanks Nismo
Old 04-12-2015, 02:08 PM

I have couple TPS's from 280ZXT's and I can send you one if you are looking to buy.
Old 04-12-2015, 03:27 PM

Borini, PM'd