280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Run the digital clock off a battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 PM

Run the digital clock off a battery

So I got a tri gauge with a digital clock at a junkyard and wanted to put it in my car but I have an analog clock, so its missing some of the wires to get it to work with a digital clock.
I wanted to do some experiments to see if the clock actually worked, and to see if I could just run my own wiring in the car to power the clock. so I spent the last three hours or so trying to figure out which wire did what on the digital clock by looking at the tri gauge breadboard. For example if a line on the breadboard went to the voltmeter and also to a digital clock wire then I would figure that if the voltmeter is always on then this must keep the clock always on as well or, if a line goes to the ground for the running light bulbs then this must be the ground for the lights on the clock. anyway I connected two 6 volt batteries together, making them 12 volts, hooked up all the wires where I thought they should go and here is the result:
Name:  IMG_0217.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  229.1 KB
I just hope im not burning it up, has anybody seen the clocks glow? is it that bright?
Old 02-24-2011, 08:11 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by mrprofile
So I got a tri gauge with a digital clock at a junkyard and wanted to put it in my car but I have an analog clock, so its missing some of the wires to get it to work with a digital clock.
I wanted to do some experiments to see if the clock actually worked, and to see if I could just run my own wiring in the car to power the clock. so I spent the last three hours or so trying to figure out which wire did what on the digital clock by looking at the tri gauge breadboard. For example if a line on the breadboard went to the voltmeter and also to a digital clock wire then I would figure that if the voltmeter is always on then this must keep the clock always on as well or, if a line goes to the ground for the running light bulbs then this must be the ground for the lights on the clock. anyway I connected two 6 volt batteries together, making them 12 volts, hooked up all the wires where I thought they should go and here is the result:

I just hope im not burning it up, has anybody seen the clocks glow? is it that bright?
Yeah that looks fine. It is that bright when you have the face cover off. Funny thing, I want to convert to an analog clock. So I can do my purple lighting theme in my interior. lol I actually have an analog clock cluster. Just don't know if the clock works or not. It would be pretty cool if it did. I will find out sometime here soon.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:51 PM

hey yours in gonna be a lot easier because its already wired, just hook the blue wire up to spot where the + symbol on the breadboard is, and hook the black next to the - symbol, there should be leads, those lines are always on.
and hey if you ever get a chance to turn on ur digital clock with the cover off could you feel the blue resistor with 3 brown bands and a gold band, mine gets really hot almost instantly and im wonding if that should happen, its easy to get to, you can actually see it in my picture. and u can get to it even with the metal mounts.