280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Resurrection of a Golden Z

Old 08-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Resurrection of a Golden Z

I just got myself a new Z. I'm looking for any type of help or info anybody can give me.

It's a 1983 Datsun 280ZX. Non-Turbo. This car had been sitting for about 5 years before I got it. The interior is real clean, but the exterior and engine need work. The odometer reads 400,xxx miles. The car starts, but ends up turning off after a few seconds.

I've already replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires, fuel filter, fuel filter hoses, oil, oil filter, and battery.

A few questions I have:

What else should I replace?
Where can my problem lie?
What do you suggest I do?

I've always loved and respected the car but I don't even know where to start.

Here are a few pics of the car.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:46 AM
The Good Twin

Welcome to ZDriver!

First, 400k miles is awesome!
Second, when the motor dies, does it start right back up?
Have you checked the fuel pressure?
Have you checked the timing?
Have you checked all sensors & connections?
Old 08-11-2011, 03:51 PM

Thanx. I'm surprised to hear 400k miles is awesome but I'm glad. When the motor dies, I turn the key all the way off and start it right back up then it starts but continues to do the same thing.

I will check all that today if I get the time to.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 PM

Alternator?
Old 08-12-2011, 03:48 PM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

Ignition switch?
Old 08-15-2011, 04:41 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by GOLDNZX
Thanx. I'm surprised to hear 400k miles is awesome but I'm glad. When the motor dies, I turn the key all the way off and start it right back up then it starts but continues to do the same thing.

I will check all that today if I get the time to.
Check your AFM (air flow meter) It could be faulty. Also as Nismopick suggested. Check all your sensors, and also any parts to do with the ignition. Trouble shoot, and check the contacts. The tests will be in your car manuals. (Haynes or FSM) Also you could have a fuel problem.

But I am willing to bet it is electrical and something to do with the ignition system. There are quite a few things that could be causing the problem. So it is a matter of narrowing it down, and finding the culprit. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 08-19-2011, 02:09 PM

Ok I finally got the chance to troubleshoot. Below I'm attaching a video of the engine while it was on.

I checked the fuel pressure while it was idling and it was well over 30 psi. While at full throttle it was over 37 psi. Fuel pump cut-off discharge pressure was over 64 psi.

I also checked the fuel injector coil resistance. All of them were either 2.6, 2.7, or 2.8 ohms.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:35 PM

Its been a while since I last updated you guys.

I completely forgot to mention that the friend I got the car from had bought a new battery and accidentally connected the positive/negative wires the opposite way.

Keeping this in mind I came to the conclusion that the ECU is fried. It seems as if the engine is not reading how much air is entering and I noticed that the check engine light doesn't even turn on. When obviously it should be ON.

I ordered the part, so it should be here soon. I'll see what happens when I receive and change the part.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:39 PM

been there done that check your fusible links too they usually burn out before the ecu
Old 09-02-2011, 06:36 PM

Thanks i already did change the fusible link but I've had no type of luck looking for an ECU. Do you know anywhere I can get one?
Old 09-02-2011, 09:27 PM

im not sure if they are different but i have one from a 1980 n/a 280zx... with n47 head... if u find out pm me
Old 09-05-2011, 06:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CARDO...item27ba86ef30

Here is one on ebay, though a little pricey. I would suggest posting a wanted add for one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSA...item4aa12d98fb

And another one much cheaper from a salvage yard.

Hope that helps you out. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:31 PM

It's been quite a while since I last updated but the Z is now alive. Its starting and moving now.

It's lacking some power because 2 of the fuel injectors aren't responding. I'm going to try to take it out on the highway and see if the fuel injectors are just clogged from not being used in 5 years.

I took a little video of it being started:

I'm thinking about just buying it some new fuel injectors so that it could feel nice and fresh.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

It's been quite a while since I last updated but the Z is now alive. Its starting and moving now.

It's lacking some power because 2 of the fuel injectors aren't responding. I'm going to try to take it out on the highway and see if the fuel injectors are just clogged from not being used in 5 years.

I took a little video of it being started:

I'm thinking about just buying it some new fuel injectors so that it could feel nice and fresh.
.... that would be the easiest 4 cylinder to 6 cylinder swap I can think of
Old 11-21-2011, 06:58 PM

It's been a hell of a long time since I last updated.

The ZX is slowly progressing. I changed all 6 fuel injectors with some injectors from Germany. They have a squared tip instead of the regular round one. While i was at it I changed the fuel pressure reg. The engine is no longer shaking and sounds much better. I also changed the AFM. I have a radiator that was bored out and painted sitting around. I should be putting that on the car soon.

I'm having a few problems though. I need some help trouble shooting.
---> When I start it while cold, let it idle for a couple seconds, then press the gas, it starts to bog. But when it is nice and warm the bogging is gone. What could it be?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:40 PM

A datsun 2.8....... All three of mine have that exact same bog. Then when you mash it cold they smoke for a sec. They never stall though.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:57 PM

Yeah mine never stalls either.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Check the EFI manuals, FSM, etc.... but if it runs bad when its cold and fine when its warm.... dunno maybe the cold start injector?
Old 12-18-2011, 11:36 PM

Update: Today my Datsun suddenly started to lose power. I was flooring down the gas pedal but it took a very long time to speed up. At one point when I was driving home it didn't accelerate at all. I was going about 5 mph's. The engine was real shakey. Especially from the right side of the engine where the manifold and exhaust are.

What could the problem be? I need to fix this soon.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:03 PM

Today I cleaned out the fuel filter and I found that there was a lot of deposits. Looked like rust though. Since the car was sitting for a couple of years I am wondering if I should just go ahead and change the whole gas tank?

I need some help getting my car running smooth since I use it to go to work and school.

This is random but.... What type of header/exhaust set up should I throw on it? I feel like I need to swap that out too.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 PM

It's been a hell of a long time since I last updated.

The ZX is slowly progressing. I changed all 6 fuel injectors with some injectors from Germany. They have a squared tip instead of the regular round one. While i was at it I changed the fuel pressure reg. The engine is no longer shaking and sounds much better. I also changed the AFM. I have a radiator that was bored out and painted sitting around. I should be putting that on the car soon.

I'm having a few problems though. I need some help trouble shooting.
---> When I start it while cold, let it idle for a couple seconds, then press the gas, it starts to bog. But when it is nice and warm the bogging is gone. What could it be?
Mine does the same thing at about 1,500 - 2,000rpms. I have discovered that I think it is just the warm up phase of the engine. I am running a z31 ecu but it seems like as soon as the CHTS is reading a high enough temperature this bog goes away.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM

My car doesn't want to turn on again like it did when i first got it.

I'm pretty sure my fuel system is real dirty. Any pointers on how or what to use to clean out the whole fuel system? (i.e. gas tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel hoses, etc.)

I need to find a gas tank for a cheap price because I am pretty sure it needs to be replaced. If there is another way i can go please let me know so I wont have to waste money.