280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Progress update and body kit question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 08:36 PM

Progress update and body kit question

I have been very busy with work and haven't had as much time as I'd like to work on the car but making some progress. I have all the trim removed, repaired surface rust and installed the side skirts for the MSA Type 2 body kit.

Tonight I removed the front bumper and did a test fit for the kits front bumper and am really struggling and hope those who have installed this kit can help with the following questions.

-It almost appears that the kit is to wide and will require some bending to properly fit around the fenders, has this been everyones experience or am I doing something wrong?

-Do you use what the FSM calls "overriders" (reference attachment 1) with this kit?

-The instructions do not mention this but should I remove the front apron (reference attachment 2)?

Thanks again for all the help with my previous posts and hope someone can assist me with this challenge as well.
Attached Thumbnails Progress update and body kit question-1.png   Progress update and body kit question-2.png  
Old 11-03-2012, 12:02 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

You need to take the over riders off. You also need to take the screws out of the shock absorbers and compress them. They should compress a fair ammount. The air dam will set on top of the bare bumper. The lower skirt can be removed. They don't sit flush with the fenders but lap over top of them.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info Fricfrac. I compressed the bumper shocks as far as possible, they went in a fair amount. If I remove the lower skirt, will the front body kit be stable? It looks like removing the lower skirt removes the bottom half of the front fender which only leaves me enough room for one screw inside the upper portion of the fender.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Yup that's all you screw too. I added some extra mounts for mine with epoxy and aluminum but the 30th Anniversary air dam I got wasn't as big as it should have been for mounting. You can add some tie bars from the corner of the air dam back to the body
Old 11-04-2012, 04:44 PM

I think I'll take the same approach and create some extra mounts as the method described in the directions does not appear all that stable.

I removed the lower skirt today and did another test fit, pics attached for reference, the sides are the right length to meet the fender but are way to wide. Is this normal or should I contact The Z Store for replacement? If it is normal, how do I make it work, I'm afraid it will crack the fiberglass to bend it enough to meet the fender?
Attached Thumbnails Progress update and body kit question-photo-1.jpg   Progress update and body kit question-photo-2.jpg  
Old 11-04-2012, 07:00 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

It's fiberglass - it should flex. If you really have to bend it in a way it won't move there is something wrong and you may need to trim it a bit to fit along the side of the stock fender. The air dam mounts to the fender where the return on the air dam is. It's kinda Mikey Mouse to me how it doesn't go flush with the fender and the fiber glass goes over top but that's how all of them are designed. I'm gonna eventually mod mine and make my own since there isn't really one I'm in love with.... I want one that only goes out as far as the hood - no bumper and the big shark mouth but not so big that it affects the aerodynamics
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 PM
The Good Twin

I have the MSA II kit and had to tweak it quite a bit to fit. I still haven't installed the side skirts because the door / rocker gap is too small. As for the front bumper, I added an extra strip of metal that runs along the top for the L brackets on the top of the bumper support and used one screw on each wheel well. I also had to use a pnuematic chisel to open up the turn signal holes just a bit to make the kit bumper fit flat against the bumper frame.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 AM

When you installed the front of your MSA kit, was it to wide like mine? I realize there will be a bit of tweaking, just trying to figure out how to narrow the sides. If I bend the sides, it almost feels like it's about to crack as the gap is almost 2 inches.