280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Power Steering gone *cry*

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 10:55 AM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by Zachrates
Yep it's the old one. going for a new bearing today =)

Ok cool, I'll go pick up the thing and try this out.

I guess really, I've just always been afraid of messing with a machine that harnesses controlled explosions lol. So I never bothered to learn how to fix them because I was always scared I **** it up somehow, and A) Maybe blow it up (LOL I know this isn't likely to ever happen). or B) Mess up a big investment. If I **** a computer up, it just wont start, unless I break something then I'm out only a few hundred. If I **** a car up I'm out a lot more money. I know it's an easy repair, just, never done stuff like this ever. So anyway, guess what I'm saying is, I'm kind of childish when it comes to this, so I'm sorry for wasting any of your time <.<.
Hey man, you are learning, not wasting our time. I felt kind of the same way you do now. When I was messing with my Z, trying to get it roadworthy. And I started with a basket case, meant for the junk heap. I rescued it, and people on here, stuck by me, and helped me a lot. Anyway you are not acting childish. You are willing to learn new things, I can tell that much. But you do need more self confidence, and you will pull through. Keep your head up, and we will do our best to help keep it there.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:52 PM

Alright, thanks =).

My only problem now is the damn holding clip wont come out. I got some needle nose pliers and I was wrenching on it, but I'm bending the metal. I think it's really ****ed up. I'm not iron man strong, but I'm a big dude, and I can't wrench the thing out. Starting to wonder if I should just replace the whole pulley...But Lordco tells me they don't make these kind anymore, and that the bearings can't come out (Shows how much they know huh?). So they've been no help at all.

And just so we're talking about the same clip thing.. the parts sticking out of it are these things right?

Last edited by Zachrates; 01-26-2007 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 01:57 PM
Ruff Ryder

if one from a z31 will fit, ive got one laying around..
Old 01-26-2007, 02:10 PM
The Good Twin

My only problem now is the damn holding clip wont come out. I got some needle nose pliers and I was wrenching on it, but I'm bending the metal.
They make a tool for those retaining clips. I just use two nails... once you get one of the ends up, just gently slide a flathead under it & pop it out. Word of warning: IT'S GOING TO FLY SO PUT A RAG OVER IT.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:18 PM

I'll give it another try. Is that clip necessary for fixing the old bearing? lol I might break it while trying to get it out <.<

EDIT: Update.. got the clip out.. it's a bit bent though. Now trying to hammer out the old bearing <.< to no avail so far.

Last edited by Zachrates; 01-26-2007 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 03:54 PM

snap ring!

I'll give it another try. Is that clip necessary for fixing the old bearing? lol I might break it while trying to get it out <.<

EDIT: Update.. got the clip out.. it's a bit bent though. Now trying to hammer out the old bearing <.< to no avail so far.
That "clip" is a snap ring. You remove snap rings with snap ring pliers.

Go to detention, do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars!

This is a simple fix. Bearings are generic. You use snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring. Then you press out the bearing....use a socket that will rest on the bearing outer surface, place pulley on top of vise. Use hammer to strike socket on bearing outer surface, drive bearing out.

Use vise to press new bearing in. Use snap ring pliers to install snap ring....

Easy as pie. Do yourself a favor and don't complicate a simple procedure.
This fix has taken longer than I thought it would. I have been following this since you posted.

I want to help, but you have to use some common sense.
Sorry if I seem too strong. It is a simple fix and not hard to do. If you drive these cars, you gotta have
[or develope] a mechanical ability.

Computer skills do not = mechanical skills....my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by captken; 01-26-2007 at 04:00 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:03 PM

I appreciate it. But it's not so much that it's hard. You just gotta understand the situation

Firstly, I own 0 tools. I'm in Canada at the moment away from my house, where all my tools are. So, I don't have anything to work with except a borrowed needle nose pliers (Which I wrenched it out of with). I don't even have a hammer, or anything to use as a vice except concrete.

Secondly, the auto parts people and mechanics around here don't know ****. So I can't seem to ask them for help. I mean the main auto parts place here is lrodco, and they told me straight up it *cant* be removed. So you can see my dilemma from a "looking for help" perspective.

And finally, I'm practically broke, this is my first car, and not to mention, I've never done anything to a car except change the plugs and wires, all of which are really simple. And apparently, I'm not really mechanically inclined lol. Believe me I already feel like a dunce without this situation making it worse.

Oh and I know man, I'm not insulted =). And I totally agree, what I meant by the comment about computers, is that it's a shame I'm not as good with cars as I am with computers.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:27 PM

All I used was a mallet, needle nose, piece of wood and a socket the size of the bearing (slightly smaller maybe, but not so's to damage the innards} ,MacGyver style...

Last edited by Carl's Z; 01-26-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 04:31 PM

dude...

Canadians ain't [that] stupid...dude. However, if you pull into a Wendy's drive thru with US currency, they have to pull out a calculater to figure the exchange rate, to give you the correct change, at least thats my experiece, then you will get "funny money" loonies? or perhaps...spock bills or this, heads of other states glorified on their currency, mainly England....lol. They had different entrances for men and women at their bars...Been there...done that......Export "A" cigerettes suck! OH Canada! Good health care though...

Take the pulley to a bearing supply and match the bearing up and get a new snap ring. Borrow or buy snap ring pliers, and get the Hell outta there.....2nd world country....United States is still #1. We have currency that depicts [our] heritage...lol.

Just kidding shady....but the truth.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering gone *cry*-spock2.jpg   Power Steering gone *cry*-shatnercoin.jpg   Power Steering gone *cry*-fivedollarspock.jpg   Power Steering gone *cry*-299px-canadian_bills-795211.jpg  

Last edited by captken; 01-26-2007 at 05:56 PM.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Big Poppa

i really like our colored money cause at a glance, i know its value. its not as bad as it sounds up here, i love it. we almost all own guns like you, they just have to be registered. zach is up here for a dang good reason i wont say, cause its his life. he makes do with what he has, and if he needs help im here. everybody learns and figures it out, but just depends what kinda time and effort they put forth, hes tying and for that he gets a A+. if he breaks it, i can get more in 5 seconds flat. the only bearing only supply store is near me, 1.5 hours drive from him, and he aint there. the parts places here suck, and cater to mechanics who have to give them part numbers, unless they are actually trained (good luck) due to the ;ack of man power right now becuase of booming times. so there, i think i covered it all.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:46 PM

Because I got a fianceeeee! lol (Why I am up here).

I got the bearing out now I need to go tomorrow and see if the earlier shift guys know wtf I'm talking about when I show them the bearing ><. If nothing else I think there is another bearing shop around here somewhere.

As for Canada, it's beautiful. But I'm a californian. The weather is ****ing me up lol. I like the colored money too, but our new 50's and 20's look pretty nice. Red and sparkly lol.

Last edited by Zachrates; 01-26-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:38 AM

just having fun

Hello, I hope no one took me seriouly on the jab at Canada. I loved the place whenever I have visited, mainly BC. I think Canada is a lot like the US, but without all the extra problems we seem to have.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:35 PM

My Z has no power steering. =(