280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Power Steering gone *cry*

Old 01-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Power Steering gone *cry*

Well. funny story.. I was driving home one day.. heard some weird clicking.. thought to myself "This can't be good", and within a few moments.. I realized I was without power steering anymore when the clacking stopped.

Checked the car when I got home and found the power steering belt had come off, and the tensioner pulley had ceased (Probably left over **** from the last owner, just like 90% of the problems I've had with the car).

So.. I face a problem.. The idiot mechanics up here want to charge me 173 bucks just to install a new bearing (Not replace the pulley) and a new belt. The belt is 8 bux.. and this pulley (If I found the right one is barely 60 bux). I know that this installation is a breeze, 2 bolts/nuts and a simple mounting... it's ridiculous the price they want for just a fix, not a replacement.

So I need your guys' help again. I can't seem to find the right pulley, and it has to come with a bearing. I *think* this is it, it's the same one MSA carries, but they are out of stock.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsu...QQcmdZViewItem

Think this will work? Or do you know a cheap way to fix my problem?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2007, 02:03 PM
The Good Twin

Thas the water pump pulley which isn't attached in any way to the PS pump.... you need the adjustable tension pulley that is right at the front of the valve cover. Here's a pic:

Old 01-24-2007, 02:17 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Or you could be like me, and say screw power steering. LOL I only have one belt, on the front of my engine. And that is the water pump: fan, alternator belt. I have gotten so used to not having power steering. I would be afraid to hook it back up. I might think it is too loose. LOL
Old 01-24-2007, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by WildmaN
Or you could be like me, and say screw power steering. LOL I only have one belt, on the front of my engine. And that is the water pump: fan, alternator belt. I have gotten so used to not having power steering. I would be afraid to hook it back up. I might think it is too loose. LOL

Lol **** that. Feels like I'm going to break the steering column every time I turn.

Well nismo, got a link where I can find one then? I appreciate the help. And that's the one, we're talking about the same thing I think.

The red pulley in the dead middle-bottom of the pic right? The smaller one.

This is just an easy fix right? Thats what I've read anyway.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:35 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Zachrates
And that's the one, we're talking about the same thing I think.

The red pulley in the dead middle-bottom of the pic right? The smaller one.
If we're both talking about the TOP pulley.... right? (not the same pulley as you posted above from ebay).

Old 01-24-2007, 02:37 PM

Yep yep that little POS you circled. that one is ceased.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:56 PM
The Good Twin

Yep yep that little POS you circled. that one is ceased.
Cool.... just making sure we're talking about the same pulley. I checked MSA, BDA, & Courtesy Parts websites... can't find that pulley. Have you called your local Nissan dealer? Or you could just get one from the junk yard & re-pack the bearing. I re-packed mine when I rebuilt my engine.
Old 01-24-2007, 02:59 PM

The problem is my local nissan dealer is down where I live. I'm in Canada at the moment trying to get down there. Also, Canadian prices are outrageous. I may just have to get the bearing replaced, and use the same god damn pulley.

Mind you, this will only cost 173 bux that I don't have to spare at the moment ><.

I'll try calling nissan anyway but *shrug*
Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 PM
The Good Twin

Get one at a junk yard... or you still near Shady? He can prolly hook you up.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Get one at a junk yard... or you still near Shady? He can prolly hook you up.

I'm still near shady. I dont want to pester him but it's looking like I'll have no other choice. An hour drive to save that much money is well worth it.

I can't find this part anywhere either.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:26 PM
Taste My Rainbow

well if worse comes to worse i can try to get the one i had on my car. I'll ask the kid if he wants it or not and then get it form him if he does not want it. I myself prefer manual steering.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:31 PM

I replaced the bearing myself. Got the bearing for $10 new from www.zxman.com . Speedy shipping and not hard at all to replace. Just need to tap the old one out with a socket and mallet, and then tap the new one in the same way. Use a piece of 1X4 wood, so not to damage the edge with the socket. Same bearing for the AC, also...

Just email him and ask for the idler pulley bearing, as it's not listed.

PS: They are sealed bearings....

Last edited by Carl's Z; 01-24-2007 at 03:34 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Taste My Rainbow

Ohhh Nice....
Old 01-24-2007, 04:33 PM

Is this for real?

The problem is my local nissan dealer is down where I live. I'm in Canada at the moment trying to get down there. Also, Canadian prices are outrageous. I may just have to get the bearing replaced, and use the same god damn pulley.

Mind you, this will only cost 173 bux that I don't have to spare at the moment ><.

I'll try calling nissan anyway but *shrug*
Way common item, an idler pulley.

this one is off a Briggs and Stratton engine...and guess what, it will fit. I had this problem with my 260Z and solved it with a part from a chevy!!!

Found this one, thought it might work, yes it will. Didn't cost more than "can I have that please" let alone 173 bucks...but if you are willing to pay 173 bucks, paypal me and I'll fedex you one proto...!!

This part, or an equivilent, is common and not Nissan specific.

Check around.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering gone *cry*-zcarupgrades-015-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by captken; 01-24-2007 at 04:37 PM.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:29 PM

Awesome guys thanks. Once again you guys are life savers. So an idler pulley will work just the same for the power steering? Nice.

And nah, I wasn't even close to willing to pay 173 <.< lol. But I appreciate the offer LOL.
Old 01-24-2007, 08:36 PM
Big Poppa

see private message i sent, it gives full instructions on doing the job, or getting part of it done.. dont worry aboot pestering me, i pester everyone else, soooo... its kinda fair! remember me saying that other night that ya may want to look into getting that fixed! not to throw it back at you, but it kinda was giving you a warning noise! oh well youll get it. if you cant come on down with just the pulley, ill fix 'er up fer ya. i think i even have a bearing. i keep them in stock due to the fact they seem to be shot on every z ive ever worked on.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:40 PM

Yeah I remember you telling me that. Just, I had no idea what to look for. Also, the mechanics around here are not very kind lol. So I need to learn about this **** myself too. I'm going to go and do this myself. I dont think it's hard enough to **** up. I'm just worried if I'll need to do any adjustments once I put on this new belt. I think it would be self evident though. Too bad this car wasn't a computer, It'd be in tip top shape if it were >,<. I wish I knew as much about cars as I did computers.

Thank you for the offer though =). If I somehow **** even this up, I'll leave it to you lol..
Old 01-24-2007, 10:06 PM
Big Poppa

the only adjustment will be the belt tension after you install the pulley again.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by SHADY280
the only adjustment will be the belt tension after you install the pulley again.
So I just need to tighten it enough for it to stay tight and on the pulley without it falling off? And I assume there is an easy method of doing this right? Like a tightening of some nut or something?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:26 AM

There's a long bolt directly behind the pulley wheel that is used for tension setting. Pretty self explanitory when you look at it. Basically, when you tighten it, it will draw the pulley wheel out, thus tightening the belt...
Old 01-25-2007, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by Carl's Z
There's a long bolt directly behind the pulley wheel that is used for tension setting. Pretty self explanitory when you look at it. Basically, when you tighten it, it will draw the pulley wheel out, thus tightening the belt...
Thanks ^^.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:17 PM

Gah... Long story short I think I lost a piece. I was forced to do it at night, since I can only borrow tools when the friends of my family are home. Since it gets real dark real soon... I had to do it in the dark, alone, with a tiny flashlight. I dropped this spacer inside, but with a little magnet on a stick...I got it back.. But I think I'm missing a dust cover. You tell me. I got all the pics of the stuff. Sorry to bother you guys again, but could you tell me if I got the right stuff? lol.

Old 01-25-2007, 09:18 PM

I think the dust cover is actually part of the bearing, which looks missing to me. My bearing was sealed, showing no bearing ***** (I said "*****", so lets all yuck it up ). Anyways, the new bearing should be completely covered on both sides. You need to take the holding clip out (thin needle-nose pliers usually work well for this, but be extra careful not to let it slip off the pliers, or it will shoot for miles and you'll never find it). Tap out the old bearing, tap in the new bearing, using a piece of wood against the new bearing, and install in reverse order of removal...
Old 01-26-2007, 07:10 AM
Big Poppa

actually it looks like his old bearing pix, the ***** are gone in that pic. it looks like you got all the pieces. i hope that isnt the new bearing! and yes the new one will be sealed.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:40 AM

Yep it's the old one. going for a new bearing today =)

Ok cool, I'll go pick up the thing and try this out.

I guess really, I've just always been afraid of messing with a machine that harnesses controlled explosions lol. So I never bothered to learn how to fix them because I was always scared I **** it up somehow, and A) Maybe blow it up (LOL I know this isn't likely to ever happen). or B) Mess up a big investment. If I **** a computer up, it just wont start, unless I break something then I'm out only a few hundred. If I **** a car up I'm out a lot more money. I know it's an easy repair, just, never done stuff like this ever. So anyway, guess what I'm saying is, I'm kind of childish when it comes to this, so I'm sorry for wasting any of your time <.<.

Last edited by Zachrates; 01-26-2007 at 07:45 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Steering gone *cry*