280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

ok new here 280zx FTW?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 09:07 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by 87pyro3
dont get me wrong here i love the car and love the engine thats in it
it has amazing capabilities its just when people wer tuning these things was 20 years ago almost everything is gone and wats left is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
the l28 has an amazing sound and i love it for that

i have pushed and pushed my self to do more research
that i have done very very much so
yes i could build a l28et and it b ****ing killer but with that goes mpg and a very very deep pocket unless the lil magic fairy comes by and drops used parts for cheap.
im seriously considering stroking this l28e of mine along with possible custom intake and stand alone for around 3500
only gets me 2 maby 240 whp which is fine aswell

for you smart guys here!!!!! to stroke the l28 you need a 83mm stoke crank comes out of a 80's nissan maxima deisel
240z rods ( 133mm ) and ka24 pistions ( 34mm ) slap on a 2mm hks headgasket to alow clearence above head ( needs .9mm to b exact ) Gives 2mm clearence overblock height being 207.9mm) and you got a stroked motor
i spent alot of time researching this and found another suspect is a honda racing pistion add corrisponding componets and these pistions would drop the clearence to -1.mm which would b better for less stress on the head gasket and ability for high compression pistions
my only question is will this pistion work?
http://www.race-mart.com/Mahle-MAH-HON220445F01.html

concidering the displacement catagory of this
stock stroke and bore and displacemet
.........79..........86...........2.753 ( which is wher the term 2.8 comes into play)
stroker crank and diffrent bore.............................................. ...............................................sto ck hp is 145hp at the fly
........83...........86............2.893.........2 .8..................................5.1% increase over stock........................152-fhp
........83...........87............2.96..........3 .0..................................7.5% increase over stock........................155-fhp
........83...........88............3.029.........3 .0 just a lil beefer..............10.0% increase over stock........................159-fhp
........83...........89............3.098.........3 .1..................................12.5% increase over stock........................163-fhp
........83...........90............3.168.........3 .1..................................15.1% increase over stock........................167.4-fhp

is that even the correct way to figure out hp gains?
You're on your way with the research but there is lots more info out there. A stroker is WAY more expensive than an equivalent powered L28ET and you can keep going in HP with a turbo build. A stroked turbo isn't usually worth the extra $$ to get the stroker build unless you can get all the parts for next to nothing (which is where the whole stroker build came from at first - cheap HP now that's not really the case). You can get 240rwhp out of an STOCK L28ET without building it - you can get 300rwhp without building the bottom end as long as you take the heat out of the charge (intercooler and/or methanol, etc).

There's no reason not to be able to get 30MPG on the L28ET with a proper tune and by a proper tune I mean great mileage at cruise and gas guzzling performance under heavy throttle. You're not going to do any better on an RB or and SR... maybe maybe a mild or stock KA but then that's just boring

My example of 700rwhp (actually I heard it was 1100rwhp IIRC - TonyD had the dyno sheets and had also talked to one of the mechanics - just from memory you'd have to verify) was that back in the early 80's with the old ancient experimental technology they had (granted these were the pro's on a race team) the were getting that kind of HP out of the engine. So for you and I with 30 year newer technology (especially the electronics) to get 300rwhp cheap and easy is very doable. Cheap - Holset HX35 turbo (about $300 used from a '90s Dodge diesel pickup) has a huge and efficent map, Intercooler and piping - $150 from E-Bay for a kit. I'd spend the extra money on a MS2 at least - $300-$500 for a fully tuneable system. Set of 440cc used injectors - $100. Fuel presure regulator - $50. Port out your stock intake manifold and put on a 2.5" or 3" downpipe and if you want to cheap out just get an extra mandrel bend and exit the exhaust before the rear wheel out the side - $150 3" exhaust with mandrel bends. At just over $1000 that's a quarter or less of what a stroker build would be and you'll still make more HP...

Some good info for starters on the turbo swap but it's fairly dated. Good starting point but you'll have to research further to get more up to date info.

Atlantic Z turbo tech

Last edited by FricFrac; 11-21-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-21-2011, 11:38 PM

thanks for the info
thats a really good read

i understand fully that adding better and more efficent parts to the l28et can creat much better results in the end for cheaper

but....... i plan on sliding my mechine quite a bit and the better the torque the better you can controle your slide

which is why i was considering sl28et

not many people out ther have correctly built thers which is why they dont last very long at all

i have my hands on a ld28 crank with less than 50k miles on it for under 100 currently in my sight so for less than 1200 i can bullet proof my bottom end and cause a better torque curve the happier i will b in the end

speaking of which does any1 know if thoes pistions will work
and wher would i turn to for a base map i plan on trying to push the limits of 15 to 20 lbs
Old 11-23-2011, 01:40 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

You know a proper stroker build will cost at least $4000 right?
Old 11-23-2011, 09:20 PM

ld28 crank 240z rods and possibly thoes pistions
correct tunning and wala stroked bottom end
the most expensive part is going to b the mechining of the block for clearence of rods and fully ballancing the pistions/rods, crank, fly

but seriously any body have a clue that thoes pistions will work??
Old 11-23-2011, 09:55 PM
The Good Twin

the most expensive part is going to b the mechining of the block for clearence of rods and fully ballancing the pistions/rods, crank, fly
Unless you have a "best friend price" at a machine shop, all the machine work alone will cost several thousand. Don't forget ARP head studs, rod bolts, MLS head gasket, etc...

Lemme work the Google machine for ya.

http://zhome.com/rnt/3.1HanveyProject.htm

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=6775.0

I like this quote:

Originally Posted by NZeder
To build a good stroker (without doing any work your self) and by good I mean over 240RWHP (300+ flywheel) you will need a budget of $15K at least
and

Originally Posted by Mr Camouflage
Yep the stroker is the least bang per buck, ie the most expensive option for hp that could be achieved more cheaply with a different motor, or a turbo L series. But it does have the coolness factor of still being an L series under the bonnet.

If your on a tight budget, then spend the $5000 on another motor.
Also, the wild turbo stroker by Jeff P:

http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/280zxt/

He's got probably $30k+ sunk into that motor.

Lastly, I have a set of 4 KA24 pistons for sale: https://www.zdriver.com/forums/fs-240z-260z-280z-280zx-70-83-242/clearing-out-my-280z-280zx-280zxt-spare-parts-31310/
Old 11-25-2011, 04:59 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

What carbs will you be running?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:49 PM

thinking about using zcc individual throttle bodies with custom turbo intake
Old 11-26-2011, 01:03 AM
Ruff Ryder

Rb30det would be more cost effective then a stroker l30. Only downside is, it's not bollt in. for suspension look whats easilly adaptable, not whats easily bolted in, having someone weld in a set of coilover mounts can be pretty cheap.
Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 AM

picked up a set of front knuckles from a 91 240sx for 20 bucks at the local jusnk yard
is the back the same?????