280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

New 82 ZX Owner - Strange parking/taillight issue with blowing fuse

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2022, 10:29 PM

New 82 ZX Owner - Strange parking/taillight issue with blowing fuse

New to the forum, and new to ZX's. I bought a running and driving 82 2+2 NA car that I have been sorting some things out on. The PO did an AT to 5-speed swap. Car seems to run and drive well. My problem is electrical. Headlights, Dome light, map light, under hood inspection light, and blinkers all work. The driver side bankers bank fast like a bulb is burned out, but not front and rear blink the same fast blink, so not sure about that one - passenger side blinks normal speed. On the fuse panel, the 15amp fuse 2nd down from top on the right side, blows immediately whenever I try and turn on parking/running lights. I have no taillights as well, but after some searching tonight and reading up on things, I am wondering if it is a brake pedal switch issue (will check this out in the morning). I tried removing bulbs from all the rear lights and side lights and still, turn the combi switch one click with a new 15 amp fuse, and pow! I wondered about the combi switch itself since I read they can be an issue, but I am not thinking that is the case, since after the fuse blows, I can still turn one more click and have the headlights come on, as well as blinker function. I obviously have a pretty good short somewhere, but really trying to make sure I am looking at the right things. Anyone ever have a similar problem? Here is picture of the new to me ZX...

Old 04-12-2022, 08:45 AM

Little wins...

After much perusing last night with the SEARCH function, started reading about the penny fix on the brake lights. Looked at the car this morning and low and behold, the wires were disconnected form the brake pedal switch. Reconnected, and bam, lights came on... and stayed on, haha. So, disconnected and now no I have a penny and electrical tape in my work today, and see if my local Nissan can get the proper pieces to use for this. Clutch pedal switch is also disconnected, so suspect same there. I notice on the brake pedal switches, there are two. The one on the left or closet to driver door, was the one that I got lights on when reconnecting the wires... what is the one on the right for?

Last edited by v8_ranch; 04-12-2022 at 08:49 AM. Reason: add picture
Old 04-12-2022, 09:44 PM

Got the brake lights working, thanks to the info I found in here last night about the penny trick on the brake pedal - Thank you!

Old 04-12-2022, 09:45 PM

ok, think I am on the home stretch with the parking/running/dash lights and the fuse that keeps blowing when turning combi switch to position 1. That 4 prong plug is for the turn signals (duh, right), but now it is making more sense as well. You might recall in one of my other posts this week, I got the signals flashing, but the left side had both front and rear blinking rapidly, like a burned out bulb. I think I remember that a ground can also cause that. So, turn signal stalk unplugged, turn switch to first position, and the fuse shows power, and does not blow. I'm going to disconnect the front and rear turn signals tomorrow morning and plug the other stuff back up and see if I can get it down to front or rear signal issue grounded somewhere.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:05 AM

My last post was incorrect... Guess I was tired and not thinking. Anyway, the fuse is still blowing with turning combi switch to first position. So, with that in mind...

Electrical question - can anyone confirm where this harness is located? I assume under the dash, but should I be looking on driver side or passenger side for this? I want to get all of this interior stuff out of the circuit to troubleshoot my parking/running light fuse issue. Thanks!