280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Muffler Options

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:10 PM

Muffler Options

1)Does anyone have a part number for a Magnaflow muffler or any other performance muffler that will fit a 1983 280zx na. I want to start pricing them out for a possible Christmas gift to me, from ...me. I am wanting a more deep throaty sound.

2)Does anyone know what size of flange and pipe(diameter & approximate length) it takes to make a Catalytic Converter "test Pipe"?

3) Has anyone seen a used Header in the Utah area at any of your favorite pull a parts? Or any 280zx's to pillage in general?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

Originally Posted by lts70
1)Does anyone have a part number for a Magnaflow muffler or any other performance muffler that will fit a 1983 280zx na. I want to start pricing them out for a possible Christmas gift to me, from ...me. I am wanting a more deep throaty sound.

2)Does anyone know what size of flange and pipe(diameter & approximate length) it takes to make a Catalytic Converter "test Pipe"?

3) Has anyone seen a used Header in the Utah area at any of your favorite pull a parts? Or any 280zx's to pillage in general?

Whereabouts in the Utah area? There few places in the Salt Lake area that I've seen with any Z's in them... and one of them is a grave yard or sorts, not a pull a part place...
Old 11-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Grave yard of sorts?

The best places I've gone to are pick n pull, tear a part, and this one place near the race track that keeps slipping my mind on its name but everything is half price on Wednesdays

but I've never seen headers at a junkyard, darn my luck. I have seen a turboZ and a 300ZXLSD that I walked by and didnt know what it was.

I have a magnaflow on my Z now but I got it second hand (its kinda like a cherrybomb style but better made!) and its nice and loud but not overly so.

the stock pipe is 2" And I cut my flanges off cuz I was lazy and I don't need a cat where I'm at. so cant help you there. and I have a 2+2 so it was quite long.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:58 PM

audiofreak97, I live in Lehi but work out past the airport off of 5600 west by the RCWilley warehouse. So anywhere in between is great and I don't mind going a little out of my way to "prospect" as I like to call it.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

audiofreak97, I live in Lehi but work out past the airport off of 5600 west by the RCWilley warehouse. So anywhere in between is great and I don't mind going a little out of my way to "prospect" as I like to call it.
There is http://www.milesunlimited.com/ on Beck Street. This is the one that is more of a grave yard cause from what he told me, he'd rather let the cars sit and rot over having people just come in and just take parts (basically go in expecting to buy a Z if you need lots of parts). He comes off as a grumpy guy, but he's cool once you talk to him. Just be warned

and there is a yard on 2300 N Redwood Road that has/had some 280Z and 280ZX's a few years ago. Not sure if they still have them though. I can't remember the name of the yard though, its just North of that TNT Auction place...

There was a complete Turbo 280ZX last year at Pull a Part but I haven't been there lately to know if the car is even there anymore...

Good luck and let me know what you find!
Old 11-03-2010, 11:02 PM
The Good Twin

Pick n Pull and Tear a Part both have inventory on their websites now, so you can check before you go.

Monty is the guy who runs Miles Unlimited (Miles died a few years back).
Old 11-11-2010, 07:23 PM

Got my test pipe all ready to go. $15 total, 10 for thr flanges and pipe, 5 for the gaskets, welding and bolts free. I am going to wait till the weekend to put it on so my boy can help.

Any suggestions on a good throaty muffler that fits these cars would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Muffler Options-pipe.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:39 PM

Got my test pipe put on. It doesn't seem to have changed the sound to much over all. But now I hear popcorn backfiring when I let off of the gas, normal?

Now I need to find a good muffler. Does any one have any pictures of what some of the aftermarket mufflers look like on these cars? Have you guys branched off and ran opposite side duel exhaust, any pics?
Attached Thumbnails Muffler Options-dsc_0360a.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 07:50 PM
The Good Twin

Nice!

And yep... the popping sound is normal (lean condition on decel). Check my cardomain pics for some exhaust ideas.

Dual exhaust is for "V" motors... V6, V8, and flats. No need on an inline 6.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Well now that I have driven it to work I do notice a little more sound coming out but it sounds good. I don’t notice any backfiring while driving, only when I have it in neutral and rev it up and then let off. Over all I am happy with the sound change. I do hope that a good muffler will make it a little throatier though.

I don’t know if I am just imagining things but it does seem to have a little more power.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:15 AM

This weekend I went to youtube and typed in 280zx Magnaflow, and pulled a few videos.
I like the way they sound.
Correct me if I am wrong...the oval shape gets a deeper thoaty sound than the round shape?
And I never saw the answer to what part # Magnaflow fits a 280zx NA. 82 or 83
Old 11-22-2010, 12:38 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Originally Posted by ZXGrinch
This weekend I went to youtube and typed in 280zx Magnaflow, and pulled a few videos.
I like the way they sound.
Correct me if I am wrong...the oval shape gets a deeper thoaty sound than the round shape?
And I never saw the answer to what part # Magnaflow fits a 280zx NA. 82 or 83
Here try this link out. That should get you started. Because I am also wanting to get a Magnaflow for my Z.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/mufflers/ni...1662j1s21.jcwx
Old 12-30-2010, 05:25 AM

Just had an exhaust put on yesterday...I will have to take a picture of it because I do not know the brand off the top of my head...but the muffler shop said it was the equivelant to Magnaflow. At this point in my performance upgrades I am not so concerned with the HP as I am with sound...an it SOUNDS FRICKING GREAT!!!

I will get a video of it and post later.

Has a real low growl at 2k...then just sounds mean after 3k. I am guessing it added some HP too, since I have now spun my tires twice in 12 hours and I couldn't get them to spin before unless it was raining.

I have had this ZX for 4 months...my second one...and I still cannot get enough of it...I just want to drive everywhere.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:16 AM

Well now that I have driven it to work I do notice a little more sound coming out but it sounds good. I don’t notice any backfiring while driving, only when I have it in neutral and rev it up and then let off. Over all I am happy with the sound change. I do hope that a good muffler will make it a little throatier though.

I don’t know if I am just imagining things but it does seem to have a little more power.
Its gonna have more power. Emissions stuff is power restricting. You really wanna open it up upgrade to 2.5" exhaust. That made quite the difference on mine when matched with a cold air intake.