280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Lucky me

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 05:16 PM

Since the ECU is inside the car, you should know how much water got in the car. If I remember correctly, it is behind the driver's kick panel. As long as your feet didn't get wet, you should be okay. If your floor board did get wet, then don't forget about the relays, and switches under the passenger seat and in the passenger's side rocker panel behind the carpet.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:47 PM

Well it did get wet in the driver side and I checked the ecu I looks brand new no trace of water the passenger side fuses look good I'm thinking it's the relays il bring them to the schools shop to test them I would love to bring it but I have nothing to toe it with and it's a hour away and I need to check the passenger side rocker panel and the water only got to about the top of the oil pan enought to the point when I open my door water went in and I'm pretty shure theres water in the oil pan because the the oil is way above the normal level
Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 PM

There's oil in my radiator what dose this mean?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:31 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by Male
I'm pretty shure theres water in the oil pan because the the oil is way above the normal level
Water in the oil

Originally Posted by Male
There's oil in my radiator what dose this mean?
And oil in the water

More than likely, a bad head gasket

Less than likely, a cracked block

Oil is being forced out of the oil passage somewhere into the coolant passage, which is why it is showing up in your coolant.

And Coolant is being introduced to the oil passages

Submerging the motor wouldn't cause it to take on water

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 08-26-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:39 PM

Yeah the transmition guy told me I might have a blown head gasket but it nave gave me any problems. And is there any way that water got in the intake is the reasone there's watering the oil?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Wait 3 days? For what? The rust to start in?

Pull the intake boot off & clean / dry.

Pull the spark plugs and crank the motor... that will get any water out of the cylinders. Then do a compression check.

If you shut off the engine right away in the water, you should be ok. I had several friends dunk their cars in lakes in high school.
Am I the only one that could read this post?!?!?!? ^^ Do it! ^^

As far as the electronics goes the lowest bit that is critical is the ECU. Take it out and open the case. Any water in there? If so put it in a bag of rice and leave it in the sun for 24hrs. Any connectors with water spray contact cleaner then blow the excess cleaner out with compressed air. Alcohol is good as well for absorbing moisture then blast it out with compressed air.

As WaganDevilZ said oil in the water in the rad is from another fault other than driving it into water. You could have oil in the engine from submersion but not oil in the rad.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:53 PM

I would crank but I have no power to and the water didn't go that high to touch the ecu but I will take it off tomarrow and double check and ok I'm gessing I had a blown head gasket for a wile
Old 08-26-2012, 08:02 PM

Well, at least you've done some diagnostics before making a decision and spending money. Now you will need to decide how much money you have to spend and which direction you want to take your project. Is the car your daily driver, or do you have another car to drive? Is it worth doing a head gasket and having the head decked, and possibly a valve job? Or, if your end goal is an engine swap, then is now the time? If your going to do the head job, then you should drain the water out of the oil, and chase down the electrical issues. Get the electricals fixed before spending the money on a head job. I've seen too many people spend money before fixing the initial problem and the car ends up sitting dead for years with useless money poured into it.

Backing up here, How much oil is in the water and how much water is in the oil?
My guess is that you may have had this head gasket problem before it died in the water. If the water you drove through only came up to the door sills, chances are the water splashing on the engine, wouldn't have been enough to cause a drastic temperature change in the head to warp it and cause a bad head gasket. Was the underside of your radiator cap frothy white? And how about the oil cap? Is it frothy white on the underside? If so, then you have more than likely had this problem for a while.

That's my two cents... Don't spend money before you have to. And sometimes it's better to ditch a project before you bury yourself in it. I've got more money in my '65 Mustang Fastback than anyone would give me for it. I'm hoping I will be lucky enough to only loose $10K in it when I advertise it next month.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:14 PM

Yeah It Was my daily driver I have another one intell christmas I have that to make a desion. If I have to all that I mineswell do a swap and ther wasn't that much oil in the radiator and the coolant was milky but the cap wasn't and I will check the oil cap tomarrow as well. And when I first got the car after geting the cluch in the transmition mechanic said it smokes at first but after driving it, it stops and it might be due to a bad head gasket but it never gave me any problumes and even another mechanic told me that it was fine
Old 08-26-2012, 09:37 PM

Ok

That's why it is so hard even as a mechanic to diagnose people's problems... You never get the whole story until you start asking questions. So the head gasket is an old issue that will require some attention if you want to keep this engine.

If you do want to keep this engine, concentrate on drying out the electricals that may have gotten wet. Look for loose connections, and bad grounds too. If you drove into the water at speed and it splashed up, it is possible it shifted something and caused a bad connection.

Fix the electricals, change the oil, then you can diagnose how bad the head gasket really is and make a decision from there.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:49 PM

Ok that sounds good
Old 08-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Big Poppa

after submerging or driving thru deep water, pull the plugs and drain the oil/water out, then refill the oil and turn over a coupla times. if it wont turn over with power, try by hand with a socket. if that doesnt work then youve bent the connecting rods (seen this happen to a dodge 318) if it turns over replace the plugs and ensure the dizzy and connections are dry and tight and continue driving as if it never got wet.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:47 PM

I found one of the relays was bad it was the biggest one and I drain the raider fluid to?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:17 PM

Do you guys know what the bigger one gose to?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM

I tryed with hand but by pulling the belt il try again after work
Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM

Nvm it was the fuel pump relay
Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 PM

And there was no white on the caps
Old 08-27-2012, 08:44 PM

It all points to the ecu I think it might of got blown I also tryed to jump start it after kept dieing
Old 08-27-2012, 10:00 PM
The Good Twin

Is it getting fuel?
Is it getting spark?
Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 PM

full story

What do you mean it kept dying? What happened exactly? It sounds like you hit the water, it died, after that what happened?

In my experience of tracking down electrical problems, it's never been the ECU. It's always been something else. Something simple.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:25 PM

Its not geting anything
Old 08-29-2012, 07:13 PM

Hey will a later year like 81 or 82 n/a plug right in?
Old 08-31-2012, 05:52 PM

News!! I figured out the electrical problems it was just the negative but now the engine won't turn over
Old 08-31-2012, 06:58 PM

It makes a click by that's it any help?
Old 08-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Big Poppa

Try turning it over with a socket and ratchet. If it won't turn with the plugs out the rods are bent. Try reading and understanding what everyone is saying. Not to be rude but it seems your just panicking and not following good diagnostic steps added by members here.

Quick Reply: Lucky me