280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

lets talk sencors

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:28 PM

lets talk sencors

what sencors will shut off a 280zx during warm up ......

the problem ................

every time i start my zx IN THE MORING ..it will starts fine but when i get to just about the F on the temp she sputters and dies ..........If iam on the gas it will miss fire a few times then die .....after she dies she will crank over and over and wont start the tach wont move at all during this time ......if i dont turn it over and just wait it out.... she will fire back UP right away and WILL run fine for the rest of the day ....IT ONLY DOES THIS ON THE FRIST FULL WARM UP...it only does this one time a day everyday ... AFTER IT DOES THIS IT WONT DO IT AGAIN UNTELL THE NEXT MORING WARM UP

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 09-21-2005 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Bleach is my Hero

This is the exact symptom when my dizzy stator and rotor went out..The thermo would open up and get the dizzy hot the everthing would expand to far away to make a spark.. But it happened everytime it went above F not just the first warm up...
Old 09-07-2005, 07:23 PM

i swaped in a diff dissy not to long ago IT did this befor then..ONLY FRIST WARM UP..SO I THOUGHT "IT" WAS THE IM .SO I swaped THREE IM'S in and out and it still did it ..one time IT did IT and i swaped ECU's ..SHE STILL WOULDNT START INTELL I WAITED A BIT i swapped in that ecu befor SO I KNOW THAT IT WOULD start my car fine..BUT DURING THE TIME in ? IT DIDn't START sher AT ALL THIS IS SUCH A PAIN IN THE *** TO FIGURE OUT ......I WISH I WOULD HAVE STAYED THE NIGHT AT MEETING OF THE MINDS SO BLEACH COULD HAVE SEEN IT DO THIS FRIST HAND

it only does "IT" "THIS" OR "WHAT EVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT"
IN ON FRIST FULL WARM UP .....

TO MARROW IN THE MORING I WILL SWAP ALT'S AND SEE "IT" GOES BYE BYe
i dont know what eles to do
Old 09-07-2005, 08:09 PM

Could be your Cylinder Head Temp. Sensor. As far as why it only does it the first time around, beats me. But that sounds like something that would happen with a bad CHTS. I had the same problem s/c was talking about, sort of. It didn't happen at such a low temp, but once the car got pretty close to op. temp. it would start sputtering and missing. I changed out the stator and reluctor because I couldn't get it gapped right and that problem went away. It was really wierd cause it only happened every once in a while, but ever since I changed them, no more missing problems. Of course I've been trough the whole bad IM, wobbly dist. and whatever else could go wrong with the ignition. Even had a coil crack on me!?!
Old 09-08-2005, 12:01 AM

yea, It sounds to me like a coil issue...took me a few hours to diagnose my frontier when it had a bad coil and similar symptoms...had to replace the whole Distributor, sucks. When it dies next time, pull one ignition wire at a time and hold it to ground, see if its got spark...easy way to test for coil.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:32 PM

i have a new coil ...........just to update "it" did "it" yesturday moring and this moring just like "it" always does ...i have found that if i wait and just let her sit for five to ten min's then she fires right back up frist try
this moring as i was testing her ...as i do every moring...I heard her sputter ....so i pulled off into a parking lot... she died right there JUST as i got her stoped ....i turned her off ,waited five min's and she fired right up .....i just dont understand why it will only do it one time and only on frist full warm up.... i DONT get it ......IF i HAD turned the key and not waited ..i would have been waiting alot longer..... if i turn the key during this time ....she will just turn over and over with no tach movement ...if i wait but i dont wait long eff the tach will jump just alittle as i turn the key but then not move at all ......i have tryed this so many times that i know what it does when it does it .......i just dont know WHY

it seems like that went it sputters .....the ecu is looking for something ...its like a little miss fire ...then it runs smooth again ...if i rev it it goes right away ...but then all of a sudden it just cuts out tach drops .keep in mind that this car runs awsome any other time but this one time a day ....all the lights are still there everything works fine during this time ...
but if i turn the key durning this time i get no tach movement and she will turn over and over but wont start ......IF I WAIT ....five to ten mins later she fires right up like there was nothing wrong ...she never does it again untell the next moring

I WISH THERE WAS A METER THAT I COULD PUT ON IT DURING THE TIME IN ?
TO SEE IF ALL THE SENCORS ARE WORKING RIGHT OR IF ONE THAT IS NOT READING RIGHT DURING THIS TIME

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 09-09-2005 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:27 AM

i spent all day looking for a Voltmeter........i didnt have any luck yes J it does it in the eveing if i dont starting all day .........it did it yesturday and today ...i have found that if i drive to the place iam going and sit there intell it does it .....then i turn it off and go inside ...when i come out it starts right up .it will not do this at all after that NOT untell the next moring warm up ......i will pm you as soon as i fined a Voltmeter....your tail light will be in the mail tomarrow moring when the post office opens up.......i wish i could fig this out ITS DRIVING ME NUTS
Old 09-13-2005, 12:49 PM

TODAY IT DID IT two times and the second time it did it took a long time to start i switch IM's DRUING THIS TIME AND IT DID NOT FIX THE PROBLEM ......
I THINK IT MITE BE MY COIL ......NEXT TIME IT DOES THIS IAM GOING TO SWITCH BACK TO MY STOCK ONE AND SEE IF IT FIXES IT ....MABE THIS COIL IS FAULTY ...

DURING WARM UP I HEAR A NOSE COMEING FROM THE FRONT OF MY MOTOR ....
IT SOUNDS LIKE MY TIMEING CAIN IS GOING OUT ...IT WAS A CLICKING AND IT MADE MY LOWER FRONT PULLY SHAKE .....AFTER IT GOT WARM IT WENT AWAY ...IT THINK THAT MEANS IT'S TIME TO CAHNGE THE TIMEING CAIN .....I HOPE IT'S NOT A CRANK BEARING ...I THINK MY TIMEING CAIN MORE THOUGH ...IF IT WAS A MAIN BREAING I WOULD HEAR IT WOSE WHEN REVED ...WITCH I DONT ALSO I DONT THINK IT WOULD GO AWAY AFTER IT WARMED UP ........THE TIMEING CAIN BEING STRATCHED COULD DO THIS THOUGH .....I THINK .....ANYONE HAVE ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS
Old 09-14-2005, 12:10 AM
lww
Head Muckraker

That's most likely a completely unrelated problem if it is actually what you think you're hearing.

You'll need to make it a two man job or make up a remote starter button so you can be 'beside' the engine bay (please don't stand in front of your car with a remote starter button!) and kick it over while it's having the problem.

This way you can more accurately identify where the sounds are coming from and isolate each problem.

You can get a Digital Volt Meter from Home Depot for $10 to $15.

Get one that looks like this:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...=12496&R=12496
Old 09-14-2005, 09:47 AM

ok i will go get one as soon as i have some money today or tomarrow .....
as for the sound iam going to go listen for it this moring ......
Old 09-14-2005, 10:23 AM

no sounds and no cut out this moring ....i took her to full warm up and it do not do it ....i heard it flutter alittle but it got right though it ....i started her and stoped her a bunch and still nothing ....i think it just fluttered pasted it i dont know iam going to go out and mess with her some more after a bit ........if i does it iam going to switch coils around and see if it goes away ....i dont know ......i will go to napa or a1 and see if i can get a volt checker thingy
Old 09-14-2005, 10:35 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by 81 Black L28E
no sounds and no cut out this moring ....i took her to full warm up and it do not do it ....i heard it flutter alittle but it got right though it ....i started her and stoped her a bunch and still nothing ....i think it just fluttered pasted it i dont know iam going to go out and mess with her some more after a bit ........if i does it iam going to switch coils around and see if it goes away ....i dont know ......i will go to napa or a1 and see if i can get a volt checker thingy
so uh... does all that mean it's better or not?
Old 09-14-2005, 10:35 AM

took her out again and still nothing it at ful warm and is running like a top ....
i scared some old lady with a savage kick .....sick so ........
we need a drifting icon in the icon bar
Old 09-14-2005, 10:43 AM

i dont know nismo ...i dont know
Old 09-14-2005, 01:39 PM

still nothing
Old 09-14-2005, 08:04 PM

That's when it gets scary. When it fixes itself and you never knew what was wrong. Then you everytime you go to start it you have to worry about whether it's going to do it or not.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 PM

hahahahahahha ant that the truth ...j....ant that the truth
Old 09-15-2005, 01:29 PM

right as i went to step on it at a stop light today it **** out .........i pushed it to the side of the road and waited .....she fired right up but then died right away again ...so i let it sit longer and in about five min's it started and ran fine .....this is getting to be very much a pain it the ***
Old 09-16-2005, 09:10 PM

Better get that meter before you're stuck in a really bad spot
Old 09-16-2005, 09:16 PM

**** I HAVE BEEN TRYING I JUST DONT KNOW ANYONE WITH ONE ...i will go and see if the auto parts store has one in the moring ...sorry i didnt send you this stupied tail light ...i have been doing nothing ......god iam a lazy son of a bitch sometimes .......
J i will get it done .......i will put it in the z that way i wont forget it next time i go to the post office as soon as i get this meter i will PM you so you can tell me the frist few things to check ....
Old 09-16-2005, 09:32 PM

It's not like I've been able to afford to drive it into town lately with the prices gas was hitting. So I wasn't really missing the taillight too much. But come Monday she's getting fill up and I'm taking her cruising. Back roads of course. The cops out here are pretty **** and if they see me without a taillight they'll write me up real quick. So I'm gonna stay out of town for a while. Last thing I need is to get pulled over without insurance

You should be able to buy a votmeter (doesn't do anything else) for pretty cheap at HomeDepot or Autozone, or something similar to those. The only requirement is that it reads DC voltage. At an autostore this shouldn't be a problem but if you decide to go to home depot or somewhere like that just make sure its not AC only. It should have a switch to read both. In case you don't know: DC is indicated by a straight line over the V. AC is indicated by a squiggly line over the V on the meters.

I remember when my Z quit on me on the freeway during traffic. (this is I15 rushhour traffic ) and I had my then 1 year old son in the car. That was the last straw and I pulled her off the road until I was absolutely sure I had found the problem. Ended up being the IM on mine. Didn't have that first start up problem but it sure as hell would quit on me and sometimes it wouldn't start for a day or two. Bad time...Bad times.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:58 PM

Its deffinitely your ignition man, check the voltage getting to your coil (should be 12v), try to get your car in a shop with an Ignition scope. If the voltage going to the coil is right, then its gotta be in the secondary side, wires, plugs, secondary coil in the Ignition Coil. I'm thinking your coil is either overheating (is it an aftermarket one like MSD etc... If so look for a crack in it where the cooling oil might have all leaked out, don't think those OEM coils have Oil in them or not.

I think somehow the primary windings are grounding to the secondary windings (or case) as it gets hotter and expands) therefore its only getting 12 volts to the spark plug instead of 35,000volts. Check voltages all along the ignition system, and if you can get an Ignition scope you can determine exactly the problem. also test your Ignition wires for extra resistance. Are your plugs gapped right, if its too small of a gap (Heat may expand the electrode to ground), there won't be any air for the spark to jump, therefore won't ignite anything. I came across a car with exact symptoms a work a few years ago.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:47 AM

i have a new coil and new plugs ....if this im doesnt fix it then i will swap back to the old coil .....if that doesnt fix it then i will check all the gaps on my plugs .i just got these plugs two weeks ago..i put them in and gapped them my self so iam pretty sure that i gaped them all right ....i bought this coil new from napa it is a accel super stock coil ...if the new IM doesnt fix the problem then iam pretty sure that its my coil .....thanks for the info ..i will let everyone know how it turns out after i get this new IM friday OR saturday....
Old 09-21-2005, 08:16 PM
Opinionated

my car doesnt like to start in the mornings, i hardly got it to start up this morning, and it accelerated jerky. o.0 then at about 8 i went to run an errand and it started and ran fine
Old 09-21-2005, 10:06 PM

the crazyies part about this j .....ok let me tell you about this ....some times i stay out at my girls house ...the last two times that i stayed there.... when i drove home in the moring ...it started fine it drove all the way to town and as i got to the main stop light it died ..it did this two time in the same spot ....if i drove out ther and stayed the night tonight and drove back in the moring it would do it at the same spot ....its so wierd how it will only do it in the moring and at the same spot...time..or temp.. ....wierd hopefully it's the IM and it turns out goldend it really isn't that bad.. i only have to wait two mins just that one time every ****ing day stop light full of traffic or not ......i hate it when poeple try to come help me .....that is such a ****ing joke ....i mean its cool of them really cool ...but i bulit this car and if i wanted help form some bumm of the street i would ask .. i hate it i had so many poeple come up and ask if i need a jump ......... i just want to yell " hey stupied can you hear it turning over shut the **** up and go get back in your van ,big hick truck or what ever it is that you take to the shop to have fixed and go away".....
anyways i just smile and say no thanks.... but really if one more fool asks me if i need a jump ....i mite just blow my top ....i mean really you can hear it turning over why would any one think it needed to be jumped .....i have made my mind up ....most poeple in this world are COW'S that are scared of there own shadow ...it makes me sick how poeple just live there lifes going with the flow ...they take there cars to shops and know nothing about what there really buying or how to fix it ...they dont want to even try to learn ....its to hard or i cant ....****ING COW'S YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.. ONLY YOU CAN DO FOR YOUR SELF ...not the us gov not a check at the first of the month ...i feel bad for all the poeple stuck in this system.... but i was there not all that long ago and you can dig your self out all you have to do is try .....

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 09-21-2005 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: lets talk sencors