280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

An introduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:45 PM

An introduction

After finally getting my AC problem fixed, it's time for my introduction.

First off, my name is Ryan. Yzzerdd the forum handle. Has been for years and its an old Aqua Teen Hunger Force joke. I'm 17 and have been dealing used cars for the last year, I buy them cheap, fix them up to my liking, get bored, and sell/trade for WAY more than I have in to it. Anyhow, I've had a 1987 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera (granny car), a 1991 Chevy S10 (fairly nice), 1990 Chevy Suburban (9MPG, anyone?), and a 1992 Dodge Dynasty (Luxury granny car). Actually, I ended up buying back my first car for $50 recently, and after $50 worth of parts its back to the same condition I sold it in.

Just yesterday I bought my first car not made in the USA. A 1982 Nissan 280ZX. 5-speed, T-tops, stock 2.8L inline-6 motor. I saw it on craigslist, put down a small deposit, sold my car that night, and the next day(yesterday) was driving it home for $500.

Thats right up there with the best decisions I've made in my life. I was tired of boring family cars. I finally had something with a little more edge. And with just over 200,000 miles on the odometer, its built to last! I was blown away by the quality of this car! I performed a standard tune-up on it, and it was purring like it should.

I hope to be a good contributer to these forums, but think I'll be asking a fair amount of questions. Obviously, if I've been dealing used cars and am on my 6th, I'm pretty good under the hood, and even with wiring. I love restoring cars and love taking them to the streets and showing them off to friends even better.

My plans with this car is to restore the interior as much as possibe(read: floor mats, I dont have a job right now) with the funds I have. I may look into repainting it in the future. I may strip the paint myself and possibly prime it, but I'll definately need a professional shop to paint it the original brown it seems to have been. But, on my budget, buying a paint sprayer and some polyurethane as a clear coat is not out of the question(LOL). It's not on the list to be sold, as it's a really cool car and I love it already.

--Ryan
PS, thats my lady by the car.
Attached Thumbnails An introduction-pic-0145.jpg   An introduction-pic-0146.jpg   An introduction-pic-0144.jpg  

Last edited by Yzzerdd; 07-24-2009 at 08:48 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Is that a Turbo Z?
Anyways nice Z! Keep an eye out for rust. These Z cars are notorious for rusting!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:08 PM

I wish it was a turbo Z! Yeah, it does have some rust, when I got it, the T-tops leaked. And I think a corner of the hatch might leak. Anyhow, some gorilla glue and weatherstripping fixed the t-tops just fine. There is a small rust hole in the drivers floorboard, and spotted rust holes where the spare goes, fairly large, large enough for fingers anyhow.

I haven't had the chance to jack her up and see whats going on underneath, but from what I can tell there isn't much rust underneath. It's probably been in TX since it was shipped over. Or at least the south, judging by A) paint fade and B) how HORRIBLY dry-rotted the carpet was in the back I tore out. Plus, the tires are a little dry-rotted. Overall though, I'm happy with what I got, I think it was a dang good deal.

--Ryan
Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ya I got my Z for $400 lol And I asked if you have a turbo Z as you have the turbo hood.
First thing off it stop the rust ASAP It spreads and if moisture is around it will spread fast. Around the window is another bad spot for it as well.
You should see my rusted spare tire well! Well... Lack of one I should say lol
Old 07-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Wow really? I didn't know that was the turbo hood! I was wanting to find one, but had one all along! What would be the best way to stop the rust? I was thinking to cut out the effected areas and maybe rivet tin up in there, and possibly grind smooth. I probably won't do that, seems the rust isn't visual from the outside(unless you happen to be getting run over by the car on the right side, and see inside the spare tire well, lol)

--Ryan
Old 07-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

XD Nice
Anyways I usually cut off the really bad metal, then sand it down till 95% of the rust is gone then go over it with a zinc based primer. Idk if I would go with rivets... ID rather spot weld or MIG or even Brazing
Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 PM

Yeah, but not only do I not have a welding torch, I don't know how to weld.

--Ryan
Old 07-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

Ah I see. Hmm Well I guess if your good with fab work you can do it however you like *shrugs*
Old 07-24-2009, 10:11 PM

Ha! That's just it, I've never done any body work! I might attempt to get a cheap MIG welder(how cheap are they, anyhow?) and read a few how-to's on welding. Of course, test on some other metal first. I've been fixing computers for years now(running my own business), maybe I can weld some computer cases together for testing...

--Ryan
Old 07-25-2009, 05:02 PM
The Good Twin

Don't buy a cheap (flux) welder. They suck and you won't learn to properly weld. Save up and buy a gas (argon / CO2) welder.
Old 07-25-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
Don't buy a cheap (flux) welder. They suck and you won't learn to properly weld. Save up and buy a gas (argon / CO2) welder.
Seconded. The real welder is a lot more flexible too. These days, I don't think they're all that much more either.
Old 07-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Haterade by da gallon!

looks good... hit up the j-yards and see if you can get that interior back up to par, and then there's the paint of course... have you went around to see if the body is solid and just made of bondo? rust cover up paint jobs seem to be an epidemic with ZX's

btw im 17 too, had mine for about 3 years i think... hooked on datsuns for the rest of my life...

fun to roll up at school in a 30 y/o dAtsun and park next to brand new mustangs and bmws... and your car gets more attention lol
Old 07-25-2009, 06:50 PM

It doesn't seem to be bondo'd, there is some rust bubbles coming up from whatever the previous owner sealed the windsheild with, though.

Are these known to have blower problems? The relay seems good(clicks when I turn it on and off) and the blower motor is hot, but not turning at all. I can get one for say, $50 online, or maybe less IF i try a junkyard. Trouble is, if these are known to have problems, whos to say the junkyard one aint bad, too?

--Ryan
Old 07-25-2009, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Yzzerdd
It doesn't seem to be bondo'd, there is some rust bubbles coming up from whatever the previous owner sealed the windsheild with, though.

Are these known to have blower problems? The relay seems good(clicks when I turn it on and off) and the blower motor is hot, but not turning at all. I can get one for say, $50 online, or maybe less IF i try a junkyard. Trouble is, if these are known to have problems, whos to say the junkyard one aint bad, too?

--Ryan
Heh, after 30 years I'd say it's a pretty safe bet that any car's blower that haven't been replaced don't have a whole lot left...