280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Injector Repair and Custom Fuel Rail Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 PM

Injector Repair and Custom Fuel Rail Questions

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum.

I recently bought a 1983 280ZX NA. It is in great running condition aside from 3 leaky fuel injectors. My current aim with the vehicle is to get it in prime running condition. Obviously I need to replace the injectors and I plan on doing them all at once. Since I am doing this, I figured I would put on a custom fuel rail made by pallnet. I am keeping the injectors stock for the time being so the rail will made to those specs. The main reasons I am considering the fuel rail change is ease of access and aesthetics.

What exactly will change as far as connections are concerned? What's eliminated?

What specifics are there concerning additional equipment that will be needed?

I also think I need to keep the Cold start for winter here, What other equipment might be removed and what is the advantage to having/not having them?

I have read quite a bit on different forums and all this info seems to be scattered out and hard to consolidate into coherency. Any links to consolidate info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 11:04 PM
Oh yeah?! Freak this!!!

The only change will be the rail, moving the fuel pressure regulator somewhere and running fuel line from the fuel filter to the rail, from the rail to the regulator and the regulator to the return line. Might as well put new fuel injector clips on while you are at it, clean up that wiring a bit...

When I installed my rail I cut the spacer off of the stock fuel rail where it runs together with that coolant line across the front of the motor and where it bolts to the side next to the power steering pump, just to keep the coolant line, lined up right.

When you order you can specify if you are keeping the cold start injector or not. All he does when you order is drill and thread an extra hole for a 90* fitting on the bottom of the rail. Just run new hoses to the cold start injector and... well that's it. When it comes time to do a turbo swap you can just plug that extra hole in the rail.

I left all emissions parts on the engine when I did mine, so i can't comment on what you can get rid of and what you should keep.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:19 PM
Intrawebz Wizard

You dont have to replace the injectors too, you can put new lines on the injectors themselves
Old 07-26-2009, 03:28 AM

you know. i did a whole thing on this. hummm..........

https://www.zdriver.com/forums/240z-280zxt-s30-s130-tech-tips-275/eliminate-vacuum-hoses-clean-up-intake-manifold-19937/
Old 07-26-2009, 04:36 AM
eff good grammar

Originally Posted by BlueKitsune
You dont have to replace the injectors too, you can put new lines on the injectors themselves
it may not be the lines leaking though, a few of mine are body bleeders, although i have been running it for about a year like that it loses a little bit where the plastic green top comes together and i think thats why it misses when i hook up the egr, good enough mixture to run with out but not when its recirculating.

i have a whole new set that will be going in some time in the near future.
i'll probally rig up a ghetto fuel rail because i also get a hot start problem and i think its because theres so much fuel above the motor heating up and i am sure its not venting properly