280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

Ignition Switch Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:32 PM

Ignition Switch Stuck

Got in the Z after coming out of K-Mart (My Addiction to Marvel Legends action figures led me there)

Turned the key and it stopped in the ON position, wouldn't go forward or back-- finally got it to come out.. but thats no good, it goes in, doesn't feel like it goes in all the way though. But won't turn any way what so ever. Ended up having to jump start it, starter was hung I guess and it wouldn't let me jump it off at the solenoid.

Anyway, question is--- how hard is it to get the switch out? I was able to get it to the house and just disconnected the battery. So it's OK for a bit... I was hoping to get the cylinder out and take a look at it... maybe fix that one. Otherwise I think it'll be a real bitch of a time trying to find one at a junkyard with keys along with it.

The keys always been funny, had to have it all the way in, then pull back one notch to get it to turn. But.. no go now. I sat in the parking lot for about 30 minutes fiddling with it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 10-08-2005, 08:39 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

Hey man, what's up? So it is when you try to put the key in? And it won't go to the off position? If so maybe your tumbler is bad. You can get a new ignition switch with key from Victoria British or Motorsport. I got mine for my '82 from Victoria British, for less than $40 I believe. It shouldn't be that hard to take it out, and replace it. Hope this helps you out, otherwise you could hot-wire it maybe for now. That is up to you though.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the quick response!

It's anytime at the moment, its literally stuck in the ON position, it won't turn OFF and it won't turn to START. But the key comes out smooth as ever, but doesn't seem to be going in all the way, can't be positive on that last one though.

Good idea on the new one, didn't think about that honestly, figured they'd be an arm and a leg. I loaned the Vic Brit catalog to a buddy of mine.. and have yet to see it since. So I need to get that back and take a gander.

Thanks again
Old 10-08-2005, 09:00 PM
More Than Meets The Eye

I need to tell you that they must have changed the price since last year. But I think you need just the ignition switch, which is $19.95. If you still have the key, this should be all you need. Yours is probably jammed up. Here is the part number for it if it will help you. 71-670. And here is the phone number of Victoria British. 1-800-255-0088. Also here is the website www.victoriabritish.com. Hope this will help you out. Let me know if I can do anything else for you. Take care.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:02 PM

mines the same way...i have to play with mine to move it......kinda reminds me of a scarey movie everytime i put the key in...the key wont turn and ****. I have a habbit of looking around to see if someones coming at me with a AXE.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:21 PM

THIS IS A GOOD POST...... i just changed mine today ...its not a hard swap ...if you remove the cover behind the wheel you will see the switch ....remove the two bolts that hold steering colum to the dash this will drop everything down just a bit....now take a small screw driver and remove the switch ..i had pulled a wire out on mine { not being careful stupied stupied stupied head } anyawy ....i had the a extra switch... so i swaped part of a switch from a 79 and the new back part of the switch that i just replaced ..the back part of the switch cost $30 bucks at the part store here ..i think he said he also had the front piece and keys for like $25 ..

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 10-09-2005 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:46 AM

I have the exact same problem! If I wanna turn the car on, I gotta take it one notch out, press down on it, and turn. In order to turn it off I gotta do the same thing. When I get it to lock (when im workin on the car and that beep beep noise ARGH!! on lock it turns the noise off) its almost impossible to take it out. Ive taken a good 30 minutes trying to turn it back to off. I think im gonna buy one now.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:15 AM

Wildman, definately appreciate all the info! Thanks for all the help!

Sounds like an easy enough swap. I'll probably take it out today and see whats happening.
The mustangs about to go under the knife very very soon I'm hoping. The Z's gotta be running pretty good so I'll have plenty of questions in the near future.
Thanks again!
Old 10-09-2005, 12:08 PM

Haven't got the ignition switch out yet-- got everything around it off, now just looking at the switch and can't seem to figure out how to work it out? Quick question though, theres a plastic piece attatched the side of the cylinder with two wire leads coming off of it-- they don't attatch to anything. Anyone have an idea of what they are?
Thanks
Old 10-09-2005, 12:37 PM
Ruff Ryder

i gave up on my ignition switch (installed a start button and a huge cutoff switch, wish i woulda stayed with the key though.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mooney
Quick question though, theres a plastic piece attatched the side of the cylinder with two wire leads coming off of it-- they don't attatch to anything. Anyone have an idea of what they are?
Thanks
that was one of the wires i broke ...i dont know what there for .....mine are hooked up ...the wires that they hook to should have ends on them right there that match the pluggens ......its wierd to me the yours arent hooked to anything .......
as for getting more room to work with ......drop the steering shaft by removeing the to bolts the hold it to the dash ,they are on each side of the shaft ,under the dash.. ......you will have more room to work ...with not alot more but just the right amount .....if you have a short screw driver then getting it out should be a snap ....

Last edited by 81 Black L28E; 10-09-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:22 PM

Dropped the steering wheel all ready as you stated previously (thanks again for the helpful walkthrough), starting to get a bit rainy here though, without much light--- not too worried about it. Going to let it sit till morning-- have my old man take a look at it (he's the mechanic, i'm just a moderate painters prep).

It's odd, really curious what those wires goto, have a total of four wires that are unattatched. None of which have ends that would mate together. I doubt the covers ever been off either that someone would have tampered with it, paint on screws and bolts looked untouched. Anyone have an idea?
Thanks again ya'll!
Old 10-09-2005, 07:58 PM

I believe the talking lady will tell you that the "key is in the ignition" if it's working properly. That is probably one or two of the wires, perhaps the ones on the side...
Old 10-09-2005, 11:09 PM

Mine doesn't have the talking lady.. I thought that was only later years? I think it'd be pretty neat to have her, though I've heard it could get really aggravating at times.

Thanks,
Old 10-09-2005, 11:12 PM
NisTuner

My 280ZX had a similar problem, the previous owner took out the barrel or whatever you want to call it for the key and used a screwdriver to start the car. He fixed it though when i bought it.
Old 10-09-2005, 11:39 PM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by Mooney
Mine doesn't have the talking lady.. I thought that was only later years? I think it'd be pretty neat to have her, though I've heard it could get really aggravating at times.

Thanks,
The voice warning system was intro'd in the 82 - 83 models & continued in the early Z31's.

Aggravating? Well... I guess. It only warns you 3 times for the fuel level, if the doors aren't shut, or if your lights, or ebrake is on. Kinda the "idiot proof" style of the 80's.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The voice warning system was intro'd in the 82 - 83 models & continued in the early Z31's.

Aggravating? Well... I guess. It only warns you 3 times for the fuel level, if the doors aren't shut, or if your lights, or ebrake is on. Kinda the "idiot proof" style of the 80's.
Ahh I was under the impression it was continuously. Three times isn't that bad at all.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-10-2005, 06:36 AM
The Good Twin

actually... I think the lights & door warning is continuous... so if it gets annoying, you turn off your lights, or close the door.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:40 AM

The lights are on :beep: The lights are one :beep:.... OMG it gets annoying as hell sometimes but lol it makes the car unique. What annoys me is the beep when u open the driver door. OMG I just wanna rip it out.
Old 10-14-2005, 06:39 AM

FINALLY! geez, think it took long enough? Found some free time this morning and had my ol' man look at it, we pulled one of the 7 tumblers out (pretty neat how they're color coded) and used the actual DATSUN key, not the one that someone did a very poor job of making (which was the one that used to crank it) and the Datsun key works fine now, smoother than ever, both doors and ignition. No more moving up or down and back and forth.
Now I can finally get back on the Mustang
Thanks for all the help, pretty nice to have a forum that responds with so much help. I've posted about my supercharger on about 3 Mustang forums and just have started to get an answer and I still have a ton of questions.

'Preciate it.