280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I got a few questions about my new 280ZX!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 06:43 PM

Talking I got a few questions about my new 280ZX!!!

Well, I finally got a running good 1983 280ZX. Now I need to get it pass inspections. I need to fix some holes in the floor pans but first I need to know what the dimensions are of aftermarket floor pans. I know they say they fit and should be done by professionals but I just need to know. Also, does anyone else's reverse gear grind when trying to put it in reverse?? Mine does and I don't know what it could be. And finally, the compartment space for the spare and jack, how can I prevent moisture from getting in it?? We found that after drving it back home in a passing storm, moisture has gotten in to it. I want to fix all these problems so I can start driving it and keep the car in good condition. I hope you guys can help me and if my car is in great condition by the next MSA show, I'll meet some of you guys.

Last edited by baintentionz; 06-22-2004 at 06:54 PM.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:45 PM

For the grinding gear, go into first and then reverse. Should stop it.
Old 06-23-2004, 01:16 PM
Externally Wastegated

For the moisture in the rear well, check to see if the hatch seal and taillight gaskets are in good shape. If you need floor pans, I think Motorsport Auto has some now for the ZX. Don't know the dimensions though, sorry.
John 82ZXT
Old 06-25-2004, 07:59 PM

Check out my cardomain page fir the floor pans. I think I'll need to get new ones. Is there anyone out there who has bought their's from Victoria british or motorsports?? If so how'd it go on installation?? Also what's the biggest size wheel I can go with even with a space?? I was looking at a 19X7.5 with a lug nut size 4X4.5 from centerline. I want to go with a wide tire that's also at least 16 inches. Maybe I can wait until august for centerlines new custom line of wheels to come out. I just ordered my turbo exhasut system from motorsports, anyone who has ordered it, was it a direct bolt on with no modifications? Thanks for your replies guys. Putting it in reverse is easier now THANKS.

EDIT: Oh yeah I have a little leak coming somewhere in the front of the engine behind the timing belt. It looks like from somewhere near the valve cover. But there is visible signs that my power steering is leaking, could it be connected with the other leak??

LOL forgot another question... i have a digital dash '83 280ZX. My dad said that before he will shift from gears 1 - 3, it would seem like there's a rev limiter there. Is there some sort of governor or because of the digital dash he can't see the actual RPM he's going so is he maybes red lining the gear? i didn't think this car would have some sort of limiter on it but he said it appears to. Also is the digital dash's senders(not sure of the word at the time but what ever sends the information to be displayed) mechanical or electrical?

Last edited by baintentionz; 06-25-2004 at 08:33 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:17 PM

Check your vavle cover gasket. It is pretty much the cheapest, and the one that is probably leaking. Its like $5-$15. Not to bad. Easy To replace too.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:26 PM

Bump..........
Old 07-02-2004, 07:30 AM
The Evil Twin

Red face

Originally Posted by baintentionz
EDIT: Oh yeah I have a little leak coming somewhere in the front of the engine behind the timing belt. It looks like from somewhere near the valve cover. But there is visible signs that my power steering is leaking, could it be connected with the other leak??
You may have two leaks. The power steering leak is most likely just the pressure hose. The return hose usually lasts a lot longer. The hose is about $50 new (aftermarket) and is not hard to install.

Originally Posted by baintentionz
... it would seem like there's a rev limiter there. Is there some sort of governor or because of the digital dash he can't see the actual RPM he's going so is he maybes red lining the gear? Also is the digital dash's senders mechanical or electrical?
What is the approximate RPMs? They are displayed on the digital dash. Is it about 3000 rpm or 6000 rpm? If you just washed the engine, then its probably cutting out at about 2900 rpm due to a wet throttle position sensor connection. As for the sending units, I don't know if they are mechanical or electrical.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:15 PM

Thanks Everybody that clears up my questions.