280ZX (S130) Forums Dedicated to 79-83 ZCars

I drove to Wichita for Diane Lane

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:15 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

I drove to Wichita for Diane Lane (new Z inside!)

And bumped into MurphZ32, and I bought his 1982 280zx

Needs a little work (...brakes...) , body is pretty good, can't wait to get started. Naptime tho however, been on the road since about 540 this morning to fetch my bonnie lass.

It even has the spare tire can inflator, which according to noobs, is SUPER RARE and is worth a bajillion bajillion dollars.

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 05-13-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:38 PM
The Good Twin

Score!

My dad was born in Wichita... foh realz.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:07 PM
Mr Z++ Wiki

Sexy.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:43 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Wiring harness, engine and chassis, have to be replaced. They were included.

Now my question, pieces like the fuse box and the relay box in the engine bay are obviously too big to go through the holes in the firewall.

So how do I get them through? I was thinking I could unplug them somehow, but I'm not 100% on how to actually perform that task

This guy

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 05-13-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 AM

Glad you made it back.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by Murph Z32
Glad you made it back.
Yep, stopped multiple times to keep check on the straps even the new ones didn't stay my paranoia, got back to Tulsa around 3.08, looooong nerve-racking drive home with a new friend in tow
Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 AM
The Good Twin

The right side firewall hole (at the blower motor) for the engine harness is a bear to get through, but that's really the only tight spot. The rest is pretty easy.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:33 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by NismoPick
The right side firewall hole (at the blower motor) for the engine harness is a bear to get through, but that's really the only tight spot. The rest is pretty easy.
I have a few more pictures that I'm a little peeved about, just cause I'm still tired from yesterday mainly, but I wanted to start working asap.

And I needed to have my Z gone, and didn't have time to get the wiring harness, not sure if I have a spare one of these in stock, but I'll see what I can do.

I actually don't even think that I have that section of wiring anywhere in the clump of wires I have in the hatch

Old 05-13-2012, 03:51 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Another find!

This ECU:
A11-639-800
Is the one under the dash.

Has (Had) these two plugs, one to the thermostat housing (For them temperature readings!) and one to the IGN. Module.

This harness was removed due to chewed wires.

And then this ECU:
A11-620-600

Has NEITHER of the two plugs.
It only has the Six injector pigtails and then two wires that I do NOT have on the original harness. This harness was installed because it was not chewed on by nastyass rodents

__________EDIT__________

How does the engine bay relay box fit through the firewall hole the size of a baseball?

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 05-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 AM
The Good Twin

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
How does the engine bay relay box fit through the firewall hole the size of a baseball?
I know you didn't remove it, but ask yourself how did it come out of the car in one piece? Can the relay mounts drop out the bottom side of that box?

I yanked the entire harness from my 82 donor car before scrapping it... I don't specifically remember how it's laid out, but doesn't that relay harness have a connector into the main harness?
Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

I know you didn't remove it, but ask yourself how did it come out of the car in one piece? Can the relay mounts drop out the bottom side of that box?

I yanked the entire harness from my 82 donor car before scrapping it... I don't specifically remember how it's laid out, but doesn't that relay harness have a connector into the main harness?
I never thought of following it back that far. I guess I get to investigate whence I get home.

I was mainly looking at the harness inside of the engine bay, I never thought to follow it to the interior (Stupid, because why so big connector in the elements?)
Old 05-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Mr Z++ Wiki

You can de-pin the relay box. There is a little tange on each connector that locks it into place. Just make sure you label each pin when you take it out
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

But doesn't that relay harness have a connector into the main harness?
Yep, I got it, needed to pry some female connectors from the big connector box (That connect all the main harnesses together) but it came out.

Originally Posted by FricFrac
You can de-pin the relay box. There is a little tange on each connector that locks it into place. Just make sure you label each pin when you take it out
I thought about this, I saw that they had little tabs holding them in, that'd take forever and I'd mess it up good.

Now that this is taken care of, can anyone help explain what's going on with the engine harness, and why it's missing the thermometer and IGN Module pigtails?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:46 AM

Really stupid STUPID question! Can't you just repair and splice what you got going on? Bud of mine Has a 86 Daytona and left it in a barn while in the army 5 years later the mice chewed the wireing and we spent two days tapeing it back together car still runs perfect. Lol. Are there any of the wires left on the harness? Or are they totally gone?
Old 05-15-2012, 07:36 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by Lesnocker
Really stupid STUPID question! Can't you just repair and splice what you got going on? Are there any of the wires left on the harness? Or are they totally gone?
There are too many for me to splice, I thought about it, but the whole fusible links box and some other engine bay pieces, I'd rather just have a 100% complete harness
Old 05-15-2012, 08:15 AM
NisTuner

It's one of those questions of patience and knowledge. If you haven't done much wiring then it'll be time consuming and kind of confusing. Personally to me I'd just splice it back together. For the fusible links, unless you want to stay original I'd just take this chance to just do a maxifuse upgrade. I did this on my 280Z and added a second maxifuse area to splice the ZXT harness fusible links into. It's nicer having modern fuses that I can just buy at an auto parts store. Plus my old fusible links that were getting warm while running no longer have this issue as the connections are newer.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by duowing
I'd just take this chance to just do a maxifuse upgrade.
Scosche CBLOCKM4-MAXI FUSE POWER DISTRBTR - Kit 033991024014 | eBay

This guy?

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 05-15-2012 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:56 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by WanganDevilZ
Another find!

This ECU:
A11-639-800
Is the one under the dash.

Has two plugs, one to the thermostat housing (For them temperature readings!) and one to the IGN. Module.
This harness was removed due to chewed wires.

And then this ECU:
A11-620-600

Has NEITHER of the two plugs.
It only has the Six injector pigtails and then two wires that I do NOT have on the original harness(A11-639-800). This harness was installed because it was not chewed on by nastyass rodents

Bumping for Clarity

I did look up both ECUs, and they show to both be from 79-83 280zx N/As, just wondering what's up with my missing wires

Last edited by WanganDevilZ; 05-18-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:02 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Damn, I may end up splicing the old harness, as I figured a few things out along my journey today.

There is nothing wrong with the interior harness, whenever it gets to the exterior portion (Fusible links), that is where the wires are chewed/eaten, so there isn't much that I would have to do to repair the problem.

There are a few other things that bother me, and I'll post them in a sec
Old 05-19-2012, 02:26 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

This is the issue I kinda have.

This is the old harness. It has two large white wires, yellow, yellow black, and green white.

This is the new harness, it has only one large white wire, and a yellow, green/black and green/white.

Plus the connector to the hatch has six prongs, while the old style (Currently residing in the hatch itself) has four prongs.

And there is no talking lady with this new harness, so there's an annoying record player in my hatch but no harness to connect to it

I'm not mainly worried about defrost or my rear wiper right now, I always have trouble with wiring, it's not my strong suit, can anyone give closeups of their fusible links box, and wiring? along with the fusible links that they connect to?

SHOULD HAVE GRABBED THE HARNESS FROM MY WHITE Z
Old 05-19-2012, 02:44 PM

What exactly did you do with your white Z?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:07 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Originally Posted by Murph Z32
What exactly did you do with your white Z?
The frame rails were more than gone, and there was way too much rust above and below the windshield. So it went to the scrap yard
Old 05-23-2012, 03:46 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Alright! Back at my own house after a week at my brothers watching the dogs, and I get right back into it, and right into another headache.

Decided to go ahead and thread the wiring through the drivers side, to the drivers side. Coil, IGN Mod., etc.

Well, before I did that, I decided to check everything and see if it was copacetic. It seems to me that this is a 1979 harness, or a GL model, non-power everything.

The hatch connections are 4v6 (The harness has 4 prongs, the chassis has 6), and then I came across these little guys:

This is from the old harness:

These plug right into little modules and boxes above the ECU on the drivers side.

And then this is the new "Punching Babies Album" harness:

The two prong harness actually had a little black boot over it.
These are in the same location on the harness, I spent minutes double checking, and it is the same.

Anyone got an 82' harness with power everything that I can buy?

I regret not salvaging my Turbo harness
Old 05-23-2012, 05:06 PM

Would these help some?

Datsun 240Z to 280ZX Wiring Harness repair kit - EV1, TPS and AFM with pigtails | eBay
Old 05-23-2012, 05:18 PM
The Emblem Thief y0!

Sadly no, the wires that I'm concerned about don't connect to those, I'm speaking with my friend who has a better understanding and am offering him like, steak or something for him to take a look and to mend the old harness

Quick Reply: I drove to Wichita for Diane Lane